A mangaka who primarily works on Shojo manga. She made her pro debut in 1996 with the one-shot The Style of the Second Love (2番目の恋のかたち, Niban-me no Koi no Katachi), which was later reprinted in the one-shot compilation manga Kanshaku-dama no Yuu'utsu. Tanemura later gained fame less than a year later with the manga I-O-N, a high-school romance (a common staple in the shojo genre) with a supernatural twist.
Her works usually contain Magical Girl stories (with a few exceptions) and extremely cute drawings that are deemed too saccharine for some. Tanemura's distinctive art style was intended to be difficult to animate, but this has not stopped Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Full Moon o Sagashite from being adapted into anime series.
Some of her works include:Edit
- Kanshaku-dama no Yuu'utsu (Short-Tempered Melancholic)
- Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
- Time Stranger Kyoko
- Full Moon o Sagashite
- Shinshi Doumei Cross (aka The Gentlemen's Alliance)
- Zettai Kakusei Tenshi Mistress Fortune
- Sakura-hime Kaden
Tropes common across most of her works:
- Art Evolution
- Bishounen and Bishoujo
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Her works often end up as these after her characters going through Break the Cutie moments.
- Fate Drives Us Together
- Informed Attractiveness
- I Will Protect Her
- Magical Girl
- Ordinary High School Student: Some of her female leads.
- Only Six Faces: Boy oh boy does she suffer from this one. But the amount of pretty makes up for it. A chart showing notable differences in faces (particularly eye sizes and shapes) can be seen here.
- The Power of Love