The Barbarian Invasions
A 2003 French-Canadian film directed by Denys Arcand.
It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, the first Canadian film to do so.
This page needs a better description. You can help this wiki by expanding or clarifying the information given.
Tropes used in The Barbarian Invasions include:
- Betty and Veronica. Both Remy's older ex-lovers and Sebastien's love interests, though YMMV.
- Bourgeois Bohemian. Remy and his friends.
- Drugs Are Bad. Subverted, somewhat. Sebastien obtains heroin to ease Remy's pain, becoming a Health Care Motivation trope.
- The Generation Gap. Between the socialist Remy and his capitalist son. Leads to Awkward Father Son Bonding Activity.
- Mighty Whitey/Asian Gal with White Guy. Destroyed during Remy's "cretinism" monologue.
- The Professor. Inverted, somewhat. Instead of the guy who knows everything, Remy is portrayed as a loser.