- Acid Pool: Some levels (like DM-Deck16][) have these.
- Convection, Schmonvection: Many maps such as DM-Codex, CTF-Gauntlet, DM-Mojo][, DOM-Cinder and DOM-Leadworks feature lava areas which are easily escapable. You won't suffer any damage from standing near to it, but as soon as you so much as dip your toe into it you get violently gibbed.
- Conveyor Belt O' Doom: The aptly named DM-Conveyor.
- Cool Boat:
- DM-KGalleon, with the K standing for "Koos".
- You must take control of one in AS-Frigate.
- DOM-WolfsBay is a cool hoverboat.
- Cool Starship: DM-Oblivion, DM-HyperBlast.
- Cool Train: AS-HiSpeed.
- Crate Expectations: You can find some goodies in some crates in DM-Stalwart.
- Elaborate Underground Base:
- The Assault map AS-OceanFloor, an underwater base.
- AS-Overlord has a base built into a mountain.
- Floating Continent: Multiple floating islands and asteroids which you actually get to fight on, such as DM-Barricade and CTF-Face.
- Gateless Ghetto: The intro map, DOM-Condemned and DOM-CiDom.
- Grimy Water: Several stages have pools with different water colors, often not good for your health.
- Hazardous Water: Featured in CTF-Hydro16, (it's description states that a virus plagued the installation and killed everyone there, possibly also contaminating the water) CTF-Kosov, (the PlayStation 2 version's description called it the Pain River, and for a good reason) DOM-MetalDream, ("located near strange meteorological phenomenon", and the water appears similar to Hydro16's) DM-KGalleon, and DOM-WolfsBay (unexplained, but there's no way to get back onto the ships in question once you fall off).
- High Altitude Battle: CTF-High, DM-Crane, DM-Morpheus, DM-Peak and space maps such as DM-Barricade, DM-HyperBlast, DM-Phobos, DM-Pyramid and DM-SpaceNoxx.
- Hold the Line: The reason behind the Assault gametype. The first round of two starts with the Red team attacking and the Blue team holding the line, while the second round invert the roles. Should the Red team succeed in attacking, the Blue team has to succeed in a shorter amount of time to win. Should the Blue team succeed in defending, they must accomplish more objectives than their Red foes did in the first round in order to win.
- Invisible Wall: You'll find these pretty much in any open level in any of the games, if it doesn't kill you.
- Lava Pit: Some of the levels.
- Lethal Lava Land: CTF-LavaGiant.
"This volatile world has an extremely low orbit around a superdense gas giant. The resulting gravitational forces have caused the planetary mantle to collapse. Combatants are issued special gravbelts for each match."
- Mineral MacGuffin: The map AS-Mazon, where the objective of the attacking team is to destroy a big crystal which empowers the defenders' defenses.
- No OSHA Compliance: Lampshaded in many of the stages: it's stated Liandri confiscated the factories involved due to unsafe working conditions, and then turned the facilities into Arenas.
- Obvious Beta:
- The map AS-Rook has a glitching wall (in an area which couldn't be reached, anyway)
- There's an invisible collision box in DM-Pyramid which wasn't fixed.
- There seems to be a rare bug where just selecting AS-Mazon in the practice mode or server-hosting menu crashes the game instantly.
- Storming the Castle: The Assault levels require you to do this, due to the nature of the game. Inverted in one of the maps (AS-Rook) which takes place in a castle, and where the objective is to escape.
- Train Job: AS-HiSpeed.