"Weird Al" Yankovic/Awesome
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- When Devo admits to being jealous of Dare To Be Stupid and a critic comments that Weird Al had out-Devoed Devo.
- Reportedly, Kurt Cobain said that he only really knew he hit the big time when Weird Al parodied one of his songs.
- He also, reportedly, cracked up the entire time when he first saw the video for "Smells Like Nirvana".
- Cobain is by no means the only guy who's expressed this particular sentiment (either example).
- Weird Al's even Covered Up with a parody song. Chamillionaire, whose song "Ridin'" was the basis for "White & Nerdy", reported that he received praise from people overseas, saying "people were telling me they had heard my version of Weird Al's song".
- Al wrote the lyrics to "The Saga Begins" with 99% accuracy... without having seen The Phantom Menace. He got all of his information from fan sites and went to see a pre-screening only to check his work.
- It's said that, when Weird Al went to watch the pre-screening, he actually cheered when Anakin told Shmi that he was going to be a Jedi.
- According to one report, he sent the song to George Lucas before the album released, and was told later, "You should have seen the look on his [George's] face."
- And Don McLean admitted that since his kids also played the song so often, when Don performs "American Pie" in concert, at times he accidentally sings Al's lyrics.
- ALBUQUERQUE. (Superfly, "I. HATE. SAUERKRAUT.", the Hermaphrodite, and the point where he loses track of the story all count.)
- The breathless list of items in "Hardware Store".