(500) Days of Summer/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Award Snub: No Best Original Screenplay nomination?
- Better on DVD: The brilliant use of Anachronic Order can be more easily appreciated if you can rewind and rewatch scenes and transitions.
- Non Sequitur Scene: The spontaneous dance sequence (the morning after Tom and Summer have sex for the first time), which is simultaneously a glorious movie musical dance scene and a hilarious parody of movie musical dance scenes.
- Bittersweet Ending: Tom and Summer don't get back together, but he's on the path to achieving his dreams, she's in a happy relationship, and he might have a good relationship starting.
- Or, Downer Ending: Some viewers have been saddened, or even angered, by the reveal of Autumn. "HE LEARNED NOTHING! He's just going to do it all over again!"
- Or, a Here We Go Again, but for Autumn, who'll have a 500 day relationship with Tom, who is too emotionally wrecked from what happened with Summer, and it'll cause their relationship to collapse eventually.
- Dull Surprise: A common criticism of Zooey Deschanel.
- Fan Dumb: Zooey Deschanel was quite taken aback by the volume and vitriol of the hate mail she received in response to "her" alleged mistreatment of Tom.
- Genius Bonus: See Viewers Are Geniuses on the main page.
- Tear Jerker: The "Expectations vs Reality" Party scene is a real kicker though, esp. for anyone who has had a similar experience.
- As is the last scene at Tom's spot in the park.
- This troper was pretty torn up when the Book Ends conversation from Day 488 was revealed to be an echo of an earlier conversation.
- The Woobie: Tom, the movie being told from his perspective 'n all.