<Godbot> .memoria is this adventure game you play without reading the manual
<Godbot> and you black out for the first 20 minutes
<Godbot> and then start playing with a broken controller
<Godbot> and you're a bit wasted
<Godbot> but it's like the best game ever so you just have to keep playing!
—Forum member Godbot, describing .Memoria rather accurately.
.Memoria is an MSPA Forum Adventure (a comic unrelated to MS Paint Adventures but maintaining the same "faux adventure game" format, hosted on the MS Paint Adventures forums), written and drawn by forums user Engineclock. Stare in helpless fascination as a marvelous, mysterious biped with hollywood amnesia traipses about and causes a scene.
Of course, there's more to it than that.
Aforementioned biped Nyroti finds himself entrapped in an escalating conflict centering around something known as "The Lock". He proceeds to have run-ins with psychotic robots, horrible monsters, and, most importantly, hats.
WARNING! There are unmarked Spoilers ahead. Beware.
- Alien Geometries: The Far Periphery certainly qualifies.
- Always Night: The Far Periphery, naturally.
- Art Shift: For several updates, the art style shifted to all-pencil, as well as watercolor. This had more to do with the author's tablet breaking than anything else.
- Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny: Most notably, Nyroti.
There are two structures immediately visible to you. One looks like it might be a ridiculously large series of aqueducts; the other is a group of tall OH MY GOD IS THAT THE SUN
You love the sun. It is the shiniest thing of all.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Nyroti encounters a particularly large worm creature at one point. It isn't friendly.
- Buffy-Speak: Nyroti does this all the time.
- Came Back Wrong: Nathaniel, after being revived by Roderick, isn't quite the same as he was. Partially because of possession by a ghost.
- Color Coded for Your Convenience: Caliginosity is black and blue, Effulgence is white and red. Remember that, kids.
- Crapsack World: Certainly. The world is being torn apart by the conflict, huge monsters roam the lands, etc.
- Cryptic Conversation: Any conversation with the Equalizers will inevitably turn into this.
- Nevermind the Equalizers, practically every conversation with anyone is this. You can number the ones that aren't on your fingers.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Done by Nyroti to a Lock monster near the beginning of the story.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The main character has an affinity for dark, which is no worse than light.
- Death World: Hints of this, at least.
- Eldritch Abomination: They seem to be a staple of Caliginosity. There are hints of this in the "real" world as well.
- Eldritch Location: See Alien Geometries above.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: S.A.D.I.E. is particularly popular among fans.
- Extra Eyes: Nyroti progressively gains more and more of these all over his body as the story progresses. Quite a few of the story's characters have an unreasonably large number of eyes, as well. By the same token...
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Nyroti gains a multitude of eyes running down his back and down his legs. He's not a big fan of them.
- Flash Back: Nyroti has these occasionally, but they don't make a whole lot of sense (yet).
- Grey and Gray Morality: There's honestly no telling which side of the conflict is "good" or "bad". The Equalizers know, but they're certainly not telling.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: Happens twice early on, given the nature of the format. Nyroti's name is made up of parts of three suggestions, and Nathaniel was named shortly after.
- Heroic BSOD: Nyroti has one of these after S.A.D.I.E. rips his heart out. He gets better, though.
- Ho Yay: Nathaniel and Roderick, very blatantly. That's really all there is to say.
- It Got Worse: Nyroti's encounter with S.A.D.I.E., Nathaniel being mind-raped by Hebris... The list goes on and on.
- Just Before the End: It's implied that the world is nearing its destruction. Afterparty seems to be one of the last cities.
- Light Is Not Good: By the same token as Dark Is Not Bad, beings of light are not any better than those of dark, and are more often than not painted in a negative light.
- Madness Mantra: Bellcat in the regular world. Nyroti also delves into this at times.
stop stop stop stop let us go let go let go stop stop let go let go
- Malevolent Architecture: The ?? building certainly qualifies, considering that it's controlled by (or rather, is) S.A.D.I.E.
- Memetic Mutation: PIMPTHANIEL
- Mind Screw: The plot can quite unclear at times.
- Mood Whiplash: Immediately after this Tear Jerker (spoilers), forum member Anomaly begins his incredibly silly intermission.
- Nice Hat: Nyroti and Nathaniel, though the former loses it fairly quickly.
- The Chosen One: Nyroti seems to be this, but he's really not very good at it.