This Work page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
100 Candles is a piece of online original fiction, following the adventures of boyfriends Jeff Parker and Kenny Tachibana. It is told from Jeff's point of view, from the time he first meets Kenny onward, as they investigate and fight supernatural creatures. There's an ongoing Myth Arc involving Kenny's past, along with a Monster of the Week setup. It can be found here (archived).
The story starts out with Jeff finding a doll on the beach. His friend Ray tells him to keep and fix it up to sell it, since it seems to be rather valuable. Later that night, the doll starts talking, predicting the future. After initial skepticism, Jeff starts taking the doll's predictions seriously. One night, the doll predicts that he will sleep with Ray. It comes true, much to Jeff's surprise. Everything goes great for a while, but then the doll predicts that Ray will cheat on Jeff. He does, and Jeff resolves to get rid of the doll. When all his attempts fail including throwing an incinerator), he calls Kenny Tachibana, an author who has published various books on paranormal phenomena. Kenny helps Jeff finally get rid of the doll, and they end up dating.
- Bi the Way: Ray
- But Not Too Foreign: Averted in Kenny's case; he was born in Japan, and immigrated to America.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Jeff and Kenny.
- Establishing Character Moment: The opening scene of the first chapter is of Ray mispronouncing the name of a Japanese monster, the futakuchi-onna (who looks like a normal woman, except for a second mouth on the back of her head), as "futa-coochie-onna", and saying she was named for the "coochie onna back of her head".
- First-Person Smartass: Jeff
- Friends with Benefits: Ray and Jeff, until Ray goes and screws that up.
- Invisible to Gaydar: Both Kenny and Jeff, but Jeff even more so.
- Too Dumb to Live: Again, Ray.