20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954 film)/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Adaptation Displacement
- Alas, Poor Villain: Nemo during the climax, although he's not really a villain.
- Designated Hero: Ned Land is kind of a jerkass throughout the film.
- Designated Villain: Nemo.
- Tear Jerker: Captain Nemo's Backstory. Also his his final moments where he staggers to a viewing window, collapses, and looks at his beloved ocean one last time as he dies.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The battle with the giant squid. Even today it looks awesome.
- Though it was very nearly Special Effects Failure, as the story on the DVD will attest. The first tests for the final battle took place against a beautiful sunset, on a calm sea. The first Giant Squid had stuffed tentacles held up on wires; these grew heavy and hard to control as they took on water, and the bright sunset made the wires painfully obvious. Disney himself was appalled at this first footage, and demanded a reshoot. This reshoot nearly forced the studio out of business, and the film's nomination for Best Visual Effects at the Academy Awards proved a Crowning Moment of Awesome for Disney.