- Alternative Character Interpretation: Adam's girlfriend, Rachel - horrible manipulative Jerkass, or someone who feels genuinely sorry for hurting him, and really does WANT to help,but is just not very honest with herself about how well she can handle the situation.
- Award Snub: Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance will make you cry, with no Oscar nomination to show for it.
- The screenplay as well could've gotten in...but it DIDN'T!
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "Exhibit...WHORE!"
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: When Adam sees a book about cheering up cancer patients in Kyle's house, revealing that Kyle wanted him to score with women to get his mind off the cancer.
- Adam's first word after getting out of surgery? "Mommy!"
- Squick: Near the end of the film, Kyle is applying antiobiotic goo to Adam's surgery scar, an enormous crevasse in his flesh. Also, he's applying the goo with his bare finger
- Tear Jerker: Several.
- When Adam hears of Mitch's death, he goes into a deep depression, thinking he won't survive.
- Adam's breakdown while driving Kyle's car the night before his surgery.
- The entire scene from when Adam tells his Alzheimer's-ridden father he loves him to when Kyle is standing outside the hospital.
- The Woobie: Adam, and probably Katie at times with the way he responds to her therapy. Also Adam's mom may count.