8 Simple Rules/YMMV
Everything About Fiction You Never Wanted to Know.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is Paul a Jerk with a Heart of Gold or just a Designated Villain that the show makes sure that Bridget and Kerry look better by comparison?
- Funny Aneurysm Moment: From the episode Wings in season one:
Paul: I don't think I can sleep, Cate, my heart is racing. Here, you're a nurse, feel my heart.
Cate: There's nothing wrong with your heart, Paul.
Paul: What do you know, you're not a doctor, you're just a nurse.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The scene where C.J. mentions having a satellite photo of Osama Bin Laden's hiding place is even funnier now for obvious reasons.
- Jerkass: Bridget, Carrie, the asian math teacher
- Tear Jerker: The hour long episode which dealt with Paul's death, and the episodes immediately after which showed the family trying to cope all fall under this.
- In his introductory episode, slacker C.J. is flat out asked by his grandfather why it took him so long to come & pay his respects to his Uncle. C.J. responds that he didn't want to, because Paul was the only person who ever told C.J. he could go on to do great things & he felt that by showing up as a loser living in his van would simply be disrespectful.
- One episode featured Hennessey's returning to "the Cabin at the lake", a frequent vacation spot of the family prior to Paul's death. Remembering the last time they were there, Paul tried carving "Hennessey" into the wall behind a painting, Cate removes the painting... And finds that all Paul had managed to do was carve "Hi" into the wall. Becomes a CMOF for C.J. when he whispers to his grandfather that he's scared by Paul's apparent message from beyond the grave.