Imagine 4chan dropped its pornographic boards, hired Anonymous as its executive organ and became political. Scary, huh?
8th Wonderland tells the story of a large online community of the same name, composed of frustrated individuals that are all driven by a desire to change the world. 8th Wonderland presents itself as virtual nation that anyone can join. Votes on the most recent topics determine the policy of 8th Wonderland, though no official command hierarchy exists. At first this policy leads to funny actions that are merely intended to piss off the big players in politics and society, but soon takes on a more drastic form. Things get ugly when an unofficial 'official' spokesman turns up and claims to represent 8th Wonderland. Of course several intelligence services join the hunt for the server farm hosting 8th Wonderland, while the mood amongst the people takes a happy ride on the merry-go-round right up until the big finale.
- Artistic License Engineering: In reality such a community would generate insane amounts of traffic and had more security holes than Swiss cheese.
- Bilingual Bonus: The mistranslation scene is much more funnier if the viewer understands one or both languages spoken, despite the subtitles.
- Coincidental Broadcast: Countless examples, starting with the first and ending with the last scene.
- False-Flag Operation: The bombings were initiated by the real countries, but attributed to 8th Wonderland.
- Fridge Logic: So in the end, the server farm was found and destroyed, after they put several agents on the case. Wait, why didn't they simply create an account?
- Grey and Grey Morality: While the members of 8th Wonderland are shown to be generally on the good side, 'the other side' is nothing short of the entire world. Basically 8th Wonderland goes against ALL juridical institutions, effectively making them criminals.
- Reverse Mole: Esteban turned out to be a member of 8th Wonderland after he shot president Pablo Guerriero.
- Sleazy Politician: There isn't one in the movie that doesn't fit this trope. Or at least, that's what the members of 8th Wonderland think.
- Slow Electricity: When the servers are destroyed all video feeds slowly fade away one after another.