A Bug's Life/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Awesome Music: Randy Newman's Copland-esque score is fit for an epic of miniature proportions.
- Complete Monster: Hopper. What else can describe someone who outwardly says that he'd murder his own brother if he could were he not bound to an honor code, threatens to feed a scared little girl ant to his "pet", kills his own henchmen for suggesting not to go back to Ant Island, mercilessly bullies others, and practically gets off at the said bullying? Fittingly, he is also the first Pixar villain to actually die. And it's a really nasty death.
- Ear Worm: The little flute-sounding song that some ants are performing for the circus bugs.
- Foe Yay Shipping: Hopper and Flik. Some people couldn't explain why they kept watching their No-Holds-Barred Beatdown scene repeatedly when they were children, they sure can as they got older.
- Genius Bonus: Those familiar with black widow spider mating habits might view some of Rosie's lines in a different light. See also Getting Crap Past the Radar.
- Moral Event Horizon: Hopper crosses this in his first appearance and keeps on going throughout the movie. His plan to squish the queen after the ants gather all their food for him is particularly vile.
- And his reaction to said plan getting revealed? "I hate it when people give away the ending."
- Needs More Love: In the Pixar Canon, this film seems to be the most forgotten.
- In the documentary The Pixar Story John Lasseter, and many of the other animators give off a sense that this movie is an Old Shame. One of the animators explained that they spent more time trying to make the movie better than Toy Story, instead of simply trying to make the film good in its own right.
- It worked out in the end, despite a couple of cold hard truths. This particular movie is very touching.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Francis
- What Do You Mean It's Not Political?: Hopper's speech about "keeping those ants in line." It's been regarded as a metaphor for everything from the distribution of wealth to the alleged "New World Order."
- The Woobie: Flik.