A Certain Magical Index/Characters/England
This page details the Royal Family of England as portrayed in the series and the associated people and organizations, first formally introduced in Volume 17.
The Queen of England, and mother to the three princesses. She possesses the sword Curtana Second, a replica of the Curtana Original, which is said to grant the wielder the same power as that of Archangel Michael so long as they're within the boundaries of England.
- Big Good: For the people of England.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: When Touma and Index first meet her, she initially wanted to show off her electric guitar to them. Only Knight Leader's intervention keeps her behaving in a manner expected of royalty.
- Cool Old Lady / Never Mess with Granny
- Expy: Of Queen Elizabeth II.
- The High Queen
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Carissa, after the Queen scatters the power of Curtana Original to every citizen on the English Islands.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She's one of the most powerful magicians introduced, as shown when she defeats Carissa and drains the Curtana Original of all its power.
Eldest daughter of Queen Elizard. She has a very cautious and distrusting personality. Among the three princesses, her trait is "intelligence".
- Crazy Prepared: Her distrust and paranoia drives her to make several precautions, such as keeping a pet just to test for poison in her food.
- High-Class Glass: She wears a monocle in order to see properly.
- Manipulative Bitch: She declares Carissa's motive at the exact moment when the knights of England and Necessarius have lost morale from Curtana Original, leading the knights to a Heel Face Turn.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo: Unlike the other siblings, she has black hair instead of blonde.
Second daughter of Queen Elizard and leader of the coup d' etat that sparks the English Civil war. She hires New Light to acquire the Curtana Original and grant her the right and power to rule over England. Among the three princesses, her trait is "military affairs".
- Badass Princess: She holds off Kanzaki, William Orville, and the Knight Leader for a short time. Granted, she could only defend and would be overtaken soon, but each of those people can annihilate entire armies by themselves without any trouble.
- Big Bad: Of Volumes 17 and 18.
- Blood Knight: To put it mildly, she likes conflict.
- Boobs of Steel
- Designated Girl Fight: With the Maiden of Versailles.
- Easily Forgiven: For actual treason, no less. Though she (along with Knight Leader) willingly stay in prison for their crimes, at least until they're needed for important missions.
- Enemy Mine: Teams up with the Maiden of Versailles against Archangel Gabriel.
- Hair of Gold
- Hot Chick with a Sword: When she gets her hands on Curtana Original.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: The shard of Curtana Second that she possesses is destroyed... then she reveals that she has ten more shards from the sword.
- Lady in Red: Wears a red leather dress.
- Lady of War
- Laser Blade: The shards of Curtana Second.
- Made of Iron: She No Sells an air raid and gets off from what can only be described as a magic bomb with only Clothing Damage and some bleeding. Touma even lampshades it by comparing her to a boss with tons of HP.
- Rebellious Princess: Literally.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Her aspect is "military affairs", after all. And if conducting a coup d'etat against your own mother counts as "something"...
- Silent Scapegoat / Dark Messiah / Zero-Approval Gambit: Her plan is to slaughter the pacifistic monarchy and all of England's enemies then bear the stain of it by becoming the only person who wielded Curtana Original for that purpose. If a new monarchy deposes her from the throne, all of England's enemies would've been eliminated by then.
- Unskilled but Strong: Curtana Original gives her incredible power by being able to control Telesma, but she's basically powerless without it.
- This is ultimately averted as Knight Leader actually points out that she's skilled enough she could use all of the abilities that he has to use one at a time at once. During the final battle of the coup, she wields the Curtana original in such an ingeniously strategic manner that she manages to hold off Touma and the entire assembled forces of the Anglican Church even after they've been joined by the Knights and even manages to fend off the combined forces of Knight Leader, Kanzaki and William Orville. It ultimately takes Queen Elizard breaking up Curtana's power into the people of England, a spell intercept from Index and a flying punch from Touma to take her down.
- Unwitting Pawn: Her coup fit right into Fiamma of the Right's hands, because it allowed him to get the remote to control Index unimpeded. Not that anyone actually had the power to stop him if they wanted to, but the point still stands: Carissa's actions helped Fiamma far more than they helped Carissa.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She keeps a radio here. Justified since her dress doesn't have pockets. The Maiden of Versailles is not amused.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She believes the best way to protect England is to conduct a coup d'etat and kill the former royal family using Curtana Original.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: What she thinks will happen to England should Academy City defeat the Roman Catholic Church.
Third daughter of Queen Elizard. She possesses the least power among the three princesses, but she holds the most influence over the people of England. Among the three princesses, her trait is "virtue".
- Actual Pacifist
- The Chick
- Damsel in Distress: When Carissa begins her coup, prompting William to save her from her own execution at the hands of the Knight Leader.
- Despair Event Horizon: Averted. Just before the Knight Leader executes her, Carissa makes an offhand comment that makes Villian admit to herself the reality that no one was ever willing to help her when she needed it. Cue William Orville stopping by and rescuing her in the most Badass fashion imaginable.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Hair of Gold
- The Heart
- The Messiah: She's the one who usually goes down and helps the people.
- Magnetic Hero: Sort of. Her disposition gains the trust of the people around her, allowing her to gather forces to oppose Carissa's rebellion.
- Plucky Girl
- Princess Classic
- Rescue Romance: Falls in love with William Orville after he saves her from execution ten years ago.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: See above. Not only that, she's the one who gathers forces in order to fight against Princess Carissa's rebellion.
- Silent Scapegoat: She was going to be executed as a scapegoat, but was saved at the last minute by William Orville. Twice, in fact, the first time being ten years before the series.
The leader of the Knights of England. He seems to want Kaori Kanzaki to join the Knights of England. He is also a good friend of William Orville, who is also known as Acqua of the Back. In Vol. 17, it's revealed that he supports Princess Carissa's rebellion.
- Badass: When you can match William Orville blow-for-blow and almost come out on top, you fully deserve the title.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Curb Stomp Battle: After being blessed by Curtana Original, he effortlessly defeats Kanzaki without drawing his sword.
- The Dragon: To Carissa after she begins her coup.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep"
- Heel Face Turn: After realizing that there's a better way to resolve England's problems than a coup d' etat.
- The Lancer: To the Queen.
- Magic Knight
- No Name Given
- Only Sane Man: Dealing with the Queen's and her daughters' antics can be quite... tiresome for him.
- Pet the Dog: Actively tried to change the rules to allow women to join the knights.
- Public Domain Artifact: Hrunting, the sword which Beowulf used to kill Grendel's mother.
- Achilles' Heel: Subverted. William Orville tries to make use of the fact that each spell can only be active one at a time, but is still outclassed by it.
- Awesomeness By Analysis: He reconstructed the laws behind the sword's creation which allowed him to create entirely new spells based on the new laws.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Slicing Power, which allows Hrunting to cut through anything.
- Death in All Directions: Attack Range, which allows Hrunting to attack enemies in all directions.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Precise Accuracy, which allows the sword to seek vital points.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Weapon Weight, which "creates tremendous destructive force".
- Super Speed: Movement Speed, which makes no one able to catch up to the Knight Leader.
- Unbreakable Weapons: Enduring Solidity, which makes the sword indestructible.
- BFS: It's 3.9 meters long. The metal used for its creation apparently makes it lighter and doesn't follow the laws of physics.
- Bloody Murder: Hrunting is said to grow in power and sharpness with every enemy it slays. The stronger the enemy, the greater the boost.
- Cool Sword
- The Rival / Vitriolic Best Buds / Worthy Opponent: With William Orville.
- Shipper on Deck: To Princess Villian and William Orville.
- Superpower Lottery: Just look at all of the above!
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He fully believes Carissa's mind set is what's needed to protect England, to the point of being fully willing to execute Princess Villian despite being good friends with her.
- Won't Work On Me: Thororm's Defense Formula, which is similar to Terra of the Left's Execution of the Light, except it's only set to reduce the weapon's effectiveness to zero. Its weakness is that he has to know what the opposing weapon is. He was forced to retreat from a Macross Missile Massacre because the missiles were all different and he could have made a mistake in identifying them. William Orville finally defeats him with a surprise dart. Also, Thororm's Defense Formula only works on weapons, and it has no effect on attacks from British Royalty.
Acqua of the Back
See: Gods Right Seat