A Certain Magical Index/Characters/High School
A Certain High School that Touma attends.
Voiced by: Kimiko Koyama
The chemistry professor of Touma's high school. She looks nowhere like a teacher, but it has been said that she's one of the older characters in the novels. She hasn't undergone the Ability Development Program, allowing her to use magic to heal Index in the first arc.
- Adult Child: In mentality and appearance.
- Big Eater
- Bottle Fairy: A chain smoking alcoholic loli...
- Cat Smile: In the comfort of a hot bath.
- Chekhov's Skill: The healing spell Index taught her early on comes in handy when Himegami is nearly killed by Oriana Thompson.
- Christmas Cake: More than likely.
- Color Failure: An epic one
- Cool Teacher
- Hot for Student: Towards her "Kamijou-chan"
- Legal Jailbait: In universe example: legal in age but lusted over by her Lolicon-inclined detention students.
- Mama Bear: She defended her students from a teacher who insulted them during the Daihaise sports festival.
- Nice Girl: "I got a lot of students; some are nice, some are naughty, and some even blow big holes in my roof. But I love them all!!"
- Older Than They Look: In her forties, yet is easily mistaken for an elementary school student. When Accelerator first sees her, he thinks she's the result of anti-aging research. Mikoto outright mistakes her for a child in their first encounter.
- Rose-Haired Girl
- Team Mom: Appearance aside, she’s the closest thing to a mother-figure the children of the cast have; a strong and nurturing one at that too.
A math teacher at Touma's school and the daughter of Monaka Oyafune, a member of Academy City's Board of Directors.
- Berserk Button: Getting caught in "unfortunate" situations, especially involving Touma.
- The Fashionista
- Hot Teacher
- I Am Not Pretty
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Although her mother is rather nice, she is still one of Academy City's directors, which has a hand in everything going on in Academy City.
Fallere825 -- The Backstabbing Blade
Voiced by: Anri Katsu
He’s a friend and classmate of Touma’s who just happens to be his next-door neighbor at their dormitory. He's also a skilled magician, however, undergoing the Power Development Curriculum caused his magic use to become fatal. His ability, Level 0 Auto-Regeneration, counteracts this, though imperfectly. He is a freelance spy for several organizations, including Necessarius, Academy City, and GROUP. The leaders are aware of this and lets him be for the time being.
- Anime Hair
- Anti-Hero: Especially when taking on GROUP work.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Has feelings for his (non-blood-related) step-sister.
- Book Dumb: Like Touma, he's actually very smart outside of the esper studies curriculum. And despite his reputation in school, he's also a highly-skilled onmyoji and an excellent spy.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: A shameless siscon with a Verbal Tic who happens to be a Reliable Traitor spy for Academy City, Necessarius, and a member of GROUP.
- Code Name: Magic Name: Fallere825.
- Cool Shades: Is never seen without them.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Siscon Sergeant". Yet he's proud of it.
- Fake Defector: His original goal was to be caught by Academy City, then pretend to switch sides and give them information on the Anglican Church. In practice it's subverted, as he'll help or betray either side as he sees fit.
- Faking the Dead: After the end of NT Volume 7, with the help of Seria.
- Fights Like a Normal : Because he can't rely much on his powers.
- Foil: To another Anglican Church spy, Fran Karasuma. Both of them are knowledgeable in both science and magic. Motoharu himself lampshades this, calling himself "the Kamijou Touma version of Karasuma Fran".
- The Gadfly: He routinely annoys other people, often Touma, for his own amusement.
- Hair of Gold
- Hawaiian-Shirted Tourist: Subverted. He's not a tourist, but is often seen wearing a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses.
- Healing Factor: His Esper power, Level 0 Auto-Rebirth.
- Heroic RROD: Since he's a former magician and now an Esper, should he ever use magic it can kill him. Luckily his self-regeneration Esper powers mitigates that. Sadly, he also mentions that his ability’s not perfect (being a Level 0) and could fail anytime. He estimates he only has 5 or 6 "lifelines" left.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He's willing to do terrible things for the greater good, but that doesn't mean he won't try for a softer option when possible. He uses magic (hence badly injuring himself) to avoid having to kill Touma's father, offers a Mercy Kill to a dying assassin, and will go to any lengths to ensure the safety of his siser.
- Not Blood Siblings: He adopted Maika from an orphanage as his sister, originally to strengthen his cover as a spy. However, he came to genuinely love her as family.
- Onmyodo: He hails from a family descended from Abe no Seimei himself, and is a very talented onmyoji.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: His magic name translates to "The Backstabbing Blade".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Aogami Pierce. He's the Blue Oni.
- Regular Caller: Starting from Volume 14, he's the one who drags Touma into Europe's affairs, which comes to a head in Volume 17, where he uses knockout gas to get Touma to London. Which makes this a rather literal case of The Call Knows Where You Live.
- Reliable Traitor
- Secret Keeper: NT Volume 11 implies that he's aware of Touma's memory loss, given that he was observing (and possibly listening to) a conversation in which Misaki and Seria discuss it.
- Secret Keeper
- Self-Proclaimed Liar
- Those Two Guys: With Pierce Aogami.
- Troll: Poor, poor Kaori.
- Verbal Tic: Nya!
- Weak but Skilled: His magic is powerful, but too dangerous to use regularly. With nothing more than guns, martial arts and a very weak Healing Factor, he nevertheless manages to be one of the more dangerous characters in the series.
- Wild Card: Works as a freelance spy for either side. The only person he is truly loyal to is his sister, Maika.
- The Worf Effect: In NT Volume 15, he's knocked out by the Kamisato Faction without being able to do anything, preventing him from playing any role in the volume.
Voiced by: Kawahara Yoshihisa
Tōma's friend and classmate whose real name is unknown. A funny individual who tends to notice Tōma's bad luck, and has calls him "Kami-yan" in a different way. He is a self-confessed pervert, lolicon, and masochist who enjoys being punished by his teacher, Tsukuyomi. He is always seen with Motoharu. He, Motoharu, and Tōma are known as the three idiots in their class as they have the lowest test scores.
- Anything That Moves: His stated type is basically anything that can (even technically) be classified as a human female.
"Ha, you’re too naïve, Kami-yan. I have a wide range of acceptance when it comes to women: not just fallen female main characters but also foster sisters, foster mothers, foster daughters, twins, widows, senpais, kouhais, fellow classmates, teachers, childhood friends, ojousamas, blondes, brunettes, brown-haired, silver-haired, long-haired, medium-haired, short-haired, girls wearing bobby pins, wavy-haired, twintails, ponytails, one-sided ponytails, twin braids, ahoges, curly-haired, girls in sailor clothes, blazers, judogi, kyuudougi, kindergarten nurses, maids, policewomen, witches, shrine maidens, nuns, military women, secretaries, lolis, shotas, tsunderes, cheerleaders, stewardesses, waitresses, goth girls wearing black, goth girls wearing white, girls in China dresses, frail girls, albino girls, fantasists, girls with split personalities, queens, princesses, thigh-high socks, garterbelts, girls who cross-dress as guys, girls who wear glasses, girls who wear an eyepatch, girls who wear bandages, girls in school swimsuits, one-piece swimsuits, bikinis, V-shaped bikinis, bikinis that barely cover anything, youkai, ghosts, animal-eared girls, etc. - any female is within my area of acceptance.”
- Badass Normal: The Daihaseisai arc shows that even though he doesn't appear to have any esper abilities he's skilled and agile enough to contend with espers.
- Book Dumb: It’s implied, as he, Touma and Tsuchimikado are collectively referred to as the Baka Trio. Yet...
- Class Representative: ... he’s somehow the class rep despite the above.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Handsome Lech
- Hot for Teacher
- Kansai Regional Accent: He fakes one, for some reason.
- Lolicon: He enjoys the pleasure of being scolded by Komoe-sensei.
- And that’s only one of his large list of fetishes.
- Meaningful Nickname: His "name" means "blue-haired-guy-with-piercings".
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Credited as this name, we have no idea what his real name is.
- Otaku: Taken Up to Eleven.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Despite having blue hair, he's most likely the Red Oni with Motoharu.
- Those Two Guys: With Tsuchimikado.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
A Japanese Christian with a Miko attire formerly from Kirigaoka Girls' Academy. She possesses the ability to kill vampires with her blood, which also attracts them. This power also killed her friends and family after being turned into vampires, prompting her to look for a way to remove her abilities.
She is a naturally occurring esper, which in-setting is called a gemstone.
- Big Eater
- Bloody Murder/Too Spicy for Yog-Sothoth: Her blood is highly toxic to vampires.
- Born Winner: Being a gemstone, she was born with her power. She certainly doesn't consider herself a winner.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She has her moments, such as trying to kill the fleas on Index's cat with insecticide, or telling a scary story that basically amounts to "The meat that you're eating right now contains stuff that can cause cancer."
- Dark and Troubled Past: She got her entire family and all of her friends killed, but doesn't seem to be bothered too much about it now.
- Demoted to Extra: Even though she “lived with Touma” before moving to Komoe's apartment, her participation in the narrative becomes virtually non-existent past Episode 15, as cheekily pointed out in the DVD extras.
Aisa: I'm ignored... therefore I a- (cut to next scene before she could finish sentence.)
- Hime Cut: It's even in her name.
- I Just Want to Be Special: She seems to have an inferiority complex, and wants to stand out.
- Japanese Christian
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Girl
- Nuns Are Mikos: Played straighter than usual, as she’s a Christian who only dresses like a Miko.
- Odd Friendship: With Maika Tsuchimikado.
- Power Incontinence: She has no control over her ability without her cross.
- Rapunzel Hair: Comes past her knees.
- Restraining Bolt: The cross on her chest blocks her vampire attraction abilities.
- Sailor Fuku: The school uniform.
- Strange Girl
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious: Subverted. Her blood will kill any vampire that drinks it, but even knowing this will not stop vampires from going out of their way to try to get some.
- The Quiet One
- Trademark Favorite Food: Burgers.
Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura
A member of Touma's class. She's very responsible, health-conscious and clean. Basically everything Touma is not. Is the only girl not to fall for Touma's "charms". We think. Depending on how you interpret some of her scenes in the anime.
- Accidental Pervert: Once walked in on Touma when he was changing.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: In the novels she is described as a "pleasant looking girl without a shred of feminine sex appeal." In the anime, on the other-hand, she is quite a pretty girl with an extremely feminine figure that could give Kaori Kanzaki a run for her money.
- Class Representative: Subverted. Despite having all the classic characteristics she’s not the class representative.
- Forehead of Doom: Her "Forehead Deluxe".
- Gag Boobs: Internet fans just love to exaggerate this aspect of her anime-counterpart in online artwork.
- Gainaxing: Featured prominently in the season 2 OP
- Ice Queen: Of the Tsundere fashion. Despite caring about others she can come off as rather cold.
- In-Series Nickname: Iron Wall Girl, because she's the only girl in the class that seems to be "immune" to Touma's charms.
- Ms. Fanservice: Not so much in-universe, but it’s played up in the anime adaptation.
- Nerves of Steel
- Nice Girl
- Panty Shot: In one of Volume 14's illustrations.
- Relationship Voice Actor: This is the second time her and Touma's voice actors appeared together as love interest.
- Sailor Fuku
- Show the Forehead: Does this while she starts to organize the class dinner it shines too. Lampshaded by Touma.
Touma: Fukiyose's forehead deluxe?!
- Team Mom: To her class of underachieving misfits.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Health products from the television shopping channels. This also includes the infamous Musashino Full-Cream Milk introduced in Railgun. No wonder she developed so nicely...
- Tranquil Fury: She doesn't become openly angry with Touma's "unfortunate" actions.
A mysterious sempai in Touma's school, Seria has connections to one of the Board of Directors for the whole of Academy City. Both her motives, and the extent of her knowledge is unknown, but she seems to love the carefree life of a high school student. May or may not be in love with Touma.
- A Day in the Limelight: One of the short stories from one of Kiyotaka Haimura's art books, where she uses a love letter to Touma to catch a spy.
- Angst Coma: While not literally in coma, she became extremely lethargic and refused to work, just staring blankly, after Touma's "death".
- Battle of Wits: Kaziumi points out that these are fights that even Touma can't fight. Which is why Touma can do a lot of things they can't.
- Becoming the Mask: She chose to live a school life, as Touma's senpai, along with her Board work. She liked it.
- Didn't See That Coming: She's defeated by Motoharu when he uses magic, something she doesn't know exists.
- Eye Scream: Motoharu rips out one of her eyes, but its replaced by a transplant by the end of the volume.
- Foil: To Misaki. Both of them are skilled in affecting people's minds, except that Seria manages it without an esper ability. They're also both in love with Touma.
- Love Makes You Dumb: She used to be confident and brilliant. Then Touma "died". She then spent her time "blankly sitting around like an idiot" until he came back. She's still depressed that she couldn't help during WWIII though.
- Love Letter Lunacy: Invokes this in her A Day in the Limelight short story.
- Manipulative Bitch
- The Man Behind the Man: The previously mentioned Board member refers to her as his 'brain'.
- Master of Your Domain: Using autohypnosis, she can suppress the pain from injuries.
- Secret Keeper: She knows about Touma's memory loss.
- Sempai-Kohai: Sempai to Touma. A role she quite enjoys.
- Smug Snake: Though not a bad guy. Probably.
- Teen Genius: Said to be one, being the brain of a Board menber and all.