A Certain Magical Index/Characters/Kiharas
This page is for the Kiharas, the family of Mad Scientists who (for the most part) work for Academy City.
Voiced by: Binbin Takaoka
Head of the infamous Kihara family. He is Therestina and Nayuta's grandfather. He is also responsible for beginning the Level 6 Shift Project and the second one involving Mikoto.
- Absent-Minded Professor: He himself admits to having a bad habit of becoming so excited when an experiment gives unexpected results, he stops paying attention to everything else. This has literally blown up in his face on more than one occasion.
- Affably Evil: He never loses his grandfatherly demeanor, even when fighting.
- Big Bad / Man Behind the Man: Arguably one for the Railgun series.
- Body Double: He uses one in the Daihaseisai arc to avoid capture.
- Combo-Platter Powers: Due to creating his own Level Upper network, and also by using Exterior:
- Blow You Away: Aero Shooter, which allows him to create footholds out of air, deflect flames and suffocate people.
- An Ice Person: An unnamed power that lets him shoot a beam that creates ice (or something that looks like it) at the point of impact.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: He can shoot beams that create circular holes in walls.
- Telepathy: Exterior gives him access to Mental Out, allowing him to do anything that Misaki can.
- X-Ray Vision: Clairvoyance, which lets him see through walls. However, he notes that it doesn't give him a good idea of the exact distance to an object.
- Cyborg: Due to injuries caused by his experiments, most of his body is now cybernetic. This includes his right arm, which can be detached.
- Evil Old Folks
- Graceful Loser: He compliments Misaki on her cunning when she manages to outwit him.
- Hive Queen: He creates his own small-scale Level Upper network, gaining access to their abilities.
- Hyper Awareness: Due to spending a long time immersed in the dark side of Academy City, he's become quite good at figuring out when people trying to deceive him. This allows him to detect and react to Misaki's trap. Though he didn't expect her to erase her own memory of her real plan, ensuring that she had no signs that might give her away.
- It Runs in The Family: All of his relatives are evil and/or manipulative just like him in some ways.
- Lack of Empathy: What's worse is that he gleefully let Therestina and Nayuta hand themselves over to be used in his experiments, and he proceeds to mess them up in some way or another.
- Mad Scientist
- Meaningful Name: "Gensei" literally translates to "Illusory Life." It can also be read as "Primitive/Primeval".
- Out-Gambitted: Misaki eventually outwits him by modifying her own memories, and erasing her own memory of doing so. As a result, when he knocks her out and reads her mind, he unwittingly uses the self-destruct code for Exterior (which incapacitates him and frees Mikoto from being controlled) instead of the limiter release code that he was after.
- Perpetual Smiler: IS ALWAYS SMILING, since he has absolutely no remorse for his actions.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Averted. When he gets excited over Touma and Gunha teaming up to fight Mikoto, he rambles on about how he needs to observe the situation, allowing his captive to escape.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara
Commander of the Hound Dogs black-ops unit who serves directly under Aleister Crowley, Amata is a sadistic scientist, and the one who originally discovered Accelerator and taught him how to control his power.
- Awesomeness By Analysis: He easily exploits Accelerator's weak points with surprisingly simple logic. (i.e. Pulling back his punch right before it connects to avoid a vector redirect, or rewriting sound vectors with a whistle to counter a vacuum blast from Accelerator).
- Curb Stomp Battle: He knows virtually every aspect of Accelerator's power. Their happy reunion was completely one-sided.
- Evil Mentor: His methods of teaching Accelerator on how to control his power? By regularly kicking the shit out of him and torturing him. When he was just a kid.
- Face of a Thug: He certainly doesn't look like a scientist...
- Genius Bruiser
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Prince Ali has returned!
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Finally meets his end after Accelerator awakens for the first time and turns him into a shooting star.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Gets very impressed when Accelerator slaughters a bunch of his mooks without using his powers.
- Lack of Empathy
- Misanthrope Supreme: Because he finds all humans to be nothing more than garbage, Vento's God's Divine Punishment has no effect on him, since he can't technically bear her any ill will.
- Tattooed Crook: He certainly looks like one.
- Unwitting Pawn: Is completely unaware of the Magic Side. During Vento of the Front's attack on Academy City, Aleister Crowley used him to kidnap Last Order and activate FUZE=Kazakiri, and didn't really care when Accelerator killed him.
One of the three Kiharas sent to attack Baggage City in New Testament Volume 4. She is killed by Kagun during the conflict.
- Badass Transplant: She has transplanted Dark Matter into her body. Under normal conditions, it allows her to walk and heal rapidly from injuries. When she removes the limiter, it allows her to transform into a variety of cryptid-themed forms.
- Evil Cripple: Being a Kihara, the evil goes without saying. However, she only pretends to be unable to walk to make people let down her guard.
- Healing Factor: Thanks to her Dark Matter implants.
- Off with His Head: Kagun stabs her head and rips it off her body.
- Meaningful Name: "Byouri" means pathology.
- Super Wheelchair: Her wheelchair is armed with a machine gun, cannon and machete-like blade, and the wheels can transform into spider-like legs. It's also marked with "Made in Kihara".
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: By using the full potential of Dark Matter, she can transform her body into forms modelled after various cryptids. These include: Skyfish (her arm grows barbs that can be shot with a force greater than a sniper rifle), Yeti (her arm becomes massive and furry, capable of crushing a shipping container), Little Grey (her limbs expand to a grotesque extent, seemingly giving her a psychic power of causing explosions) and Loch Ness Monster (her entire body grows into a dinosaur-like form).
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: She pretends to be a helpless, kindly woman to make her enemies drop their guard.
One of the three Kiharas sent to attack Baggage City in New Testament Volume 4. He is killed after to being locked in an illusion by Útgarða-Loki.
One of the three Kiharas sent to attack Baggage City in New Testament Volume 4. She is the only one to survive the events, later appearing in New Testament Volume 15.
- All Your Powers Combined: She has access to the combined thought patterns and skills of over 5000 people, including Kiharas. This isn't perfect, as she doesn't truly act in the same way as the person she copies. Maria compares it to being able to using someone else's deck of cards, but still having to choose what cards to use on her own.
- Awesomeness By Analysis: She learned advanced science without any formal education, just by studying everything available to her in one room.
- Book Dumb: She was raised without any formal education. While she learned a suprising amount on her own, she doesn't know basic mathematics or katakana.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: She wears different boots on each foot and her stockings are torn in a different way on each leg.
- In the Blood: Her upbringing demonstrates this. She was abducted at a young age by someone who wanted to be smarter than a Kihara, even if it meant forcing a Kihara to not learn anything. However, Enshuu still demonstrated the Kihara love for science and lack of morals.
- Meaningful Name: "Enshuu" means "Circumference".
See Gremlin page.
A Kihara first sent to negotiate with the leaders of the Science Guardians in New Testament Volume 4. She often accompanies and assists Noukan. After Noukan is gravely injured at the end of New Testament Volume 14, she becomes the major antagonist for the next three volumes.
- All Your Powers Combined: She uses the tools of several other villains: Ayu's FIVE_OVER Outsider, a weakened form of St Germain's virus, an Anti-Art Attachment similar to Noukan's, the Sample Shoggoth parasite, and Kakeru's World Rejector (though he's not actually a villain).
- Green Thumb: The St Germain virus lets her make carbon-based constructs modeled after plants.
- Healing Factor: Sample Shoggoth allows her to sew on Kakeru's right hand after cutting her own off. It also lets her recover from a direct hit from the Anti-Art Attachment.
- Master of Disguise: The FIVE_OVER Outsider lets her disguise herself as Asuka Keshouin, despite the latter being much smaller than Yuiitsu.
- Lotus Eater Machine: After stealing World Rejector, she can banish anyone to their ideal world, unless they are completely free of conflicting desires.
- Badass Abnormal: She was already a Kihara with nightmarish skill in science, then she enhanced her body with the St Germain virus and Sample Shoggoth, and stole World Rejector.
- Batman Gambit: When her stolen right hand is severed, she pretends that it has an effect similar to severing Touma's - namely, that it allows her to summon the banished Magic Gods to fight. It's actually replicas made using Sample Shoggoth, but it still terrifies Touma, who's aware of the threat posed by both Magic Gods and the Invisible Thing.
- For Science!: Like any other Kihara. She releases the reborn Teitoku on purpose, purely out of an interest in what he would do.
- Magitek: St Germain's virus allows her to use magic, which she combines in various ways with her understanding of science. She's able to create the Elements, enormous monsters resembling animal-shaped robots, powered by magical cores that give them Elemental Powers.
- The Man Behind The Man: Technically, The Woman Behind The Woman. She's the reason why Hisako became evil in the first place. Yuiitsu implanted her own intellectual curiosity into Hisako, causing the latter to behave like a Kihara by pursuing science with no concern for ethics.
- Meaningful Name: "Yuiitsu" means "Single" or "Unique".
- Took A Level In Badass: When Noukan is wounded and has to be kept in cold sleep, Yuiitsu resolves to surpass him and become something beyond a Kihara. As described under All Your Powers Combined, she definitely succeeds.
A golden retriever who became a Kihara when his brain was modified to have human-level intelligence. He is among the most influential of the Kiharas, and works directly for Aleister. After being mortally injured at the end of New Testament Volume 14, he is currently in cryogenic stasis to keep him from dying.
- Combining Mecha: He personally enjoys these, and he uses the Anti-Art Attachment - a collection of powerful weapons that link together around him.
- The Dragon: To Aleister.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Unlike virtually all other Kiharas, he has a strict code of ethics and prefers to minimize collateral damage. That said, he won't hesitate to get his paws dirty if he absolutely must.
- Human Popsicle: After being beaten almost to death by Kakeru, he has to be kept in cryogenic stasis until technology advances enough to heal him.
- The Hunter: His main role is to combat and kill immortal beings.
- Kill the God: By using the Anti-Art Attachment, he is capable of permanently killing Magic Gods, provided that they've been weakened first. He demonstrates this with the High Priest in NT Volume 13.
- Meaningful Name: "Noukan" means "Brainstem".
- Older Than They Look: He's over 80, far more than a normal dog can live for, yet shows no signs of age.
- Science Destroys Magic: His Anti-Art Attachment is designed for taking on immortal supernatural beings, and allows him to kill Magic Gods. Subverted, in that it also draws on Aleister's magic.
- Smoking Is Cool: Often smokes cigars.
- Uplifted Animal