A Certain Magical Index/Characters/Magicians
This page is for other magicians who do not fit in any of the other magical organizations, whether they are neutral, mercenaries, or unclassified according to the character sheet's organization.
Honos628 -- My Honor is For the World
Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
An alchemist who was Index's bodyguard in the past. He specializes in Ars Magna, a way of bringing thoughts into reality. Similarly to Stiyl, his failure to save Index without erasing her memories is his greatest regret. He "turned to The Dark Side" as a result.
- Alchemy Is Magic
- Ax Crazy
- Awesomeness By Analysis: Most of his power came from being able to analyze and reverse-engineer grimoires.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Bishounen: He has the same face as Aizen for crying out loud!
- Bodyguard Crush: To Index.
- Cloning Blues: In the Light Novels, he created a homunculus in his image through alchemy that had all his memories and believed it was actually him. It had Limen Magna: a Hook Hand and a dart on a Variable-Length Chain that turned anything it touched to gold. It went berserk but was defeated by Touma and Stiyl. Stiyl regretfully Mercy Killed it, as it was nearing the end of its life cycle anyway.
- Code Name: Magic Name: Honos628
- Evil Counterpart: According to the author, he's Touma if he had failed to save Index in Volume 1.
- Evil Laugh
- The Gunslinger: Has an odd preference for 19th century pistols.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Conjures up a gun against Touma, but fires wildly, explaining that he wants to drag the fight out and make it as painful as possible.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia / Identity Amnesia: His final fate.
- Love Makes You Crazy / Love Makes You Evil
- Man in White: And damn does that suit look good on him...
- More Dakka: Makes his gun turn into dozens of gun barrels, all connected.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: "My Honor Is For The World".
- Reality Warper
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: The effectiveness of his reality warping Ars Magna depends on his imagination and confidence.
- Reality Warping Is Not a Toy: Ars Magna also causes his fears and doubts to become true. He needs to use acupuncture frequently in order to keep his mind clear forthe technique.
- Superpower Lottery: His Ars Magna is actually on par with John's Pen Mode Index, and a power that can turn your thoughts into reality is pretty much quite the power.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: The true nature of his ability.
- To the Pain: After conjuring up a gun against Touma, he boasts that he's going to enjoy shooting him in the kneecaps, the arms, etc.
- Villainous Breakdown: Once Stiyl and Touma explain that his plan to use Himegami to attract a vampire so he can force it to turn Index into a vampire to save her life is unneeded, he gets really mad and decides to kill them, claiming that they mocked him and his dreams. Touma makes him even more upset and scares him half to death by laughing at him when Izzard chops off his arm, realizing that his powers are dependent on his state of mind.
- We Have Reserves: His reply when Touma and Stiyl confront him about his army of Brainwashed and Crazy Misawa Cram School students whose bodies were breaking down due to them being espers forced to use magic.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Invoked. Magicians aligned with earth often dye their hair green to improve their connection to the element, as also shown by Terra of the Left.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Pulls this on Himegami, killing her with a command. Fortunately, Touma's Imagine Breaker could reverse it.
- Younger Than They Look: He's eighteen, yet looks like he could be in his twenties or early thirties.
One of the 20 Saints in the world, who is also a Valkyrie and the main antagonist of the Norse Mythology SS, she went on a very, very, justified Roaring Rampage of Revenge against the five greatest Norse Cabals after an incident that involved those five cabals, with over a thousand members each, obliterated her own small cabal of thirty people to preserve Norse Mythology.
- Anti-Villain: All she wanted to do was use the power of a god to save a child.
- Ancestral Weapon: Gungnir
- Arc Number: Without knowing it, she used the Christian 3 on Gungnir.
- The Aloner: After her cabal's destruction, at the time before meeting Ceillier.
- Badass: Fought with Kanzaki and came close to winning.
- Blood Knight
- Break the Cutie: One of the worst cases in the series.
- Chekhov's Gunman/Foreshadowing: Her actions and the knowledge she holds make her this. She crafted a new Gungir and has the proper knowledge to do so through the Final Rune. GREMLIN pursues her for this reason.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: What they did to her.
- Body Horror: She inflicted this on every single magician who she had a grudge against.
- Dead Little Brother: Ceillier. At least, that's what she thought.
- Elemental Powers: With Gungnir's power, she can control all the elements and natural phenomenon.
- It's All My Fault: The destruction of her Cabal and Ceillier's fate.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Hel, as they named her. She planned to live up to it.
Brunhild: Like the hands of a clock, I am now inexorably approaching you as you lie their unmoving. Once I arrive, I will act true to the name of Hel that you forced upon me by sending each and every one of you to the underworld.
- Norse Mythology
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Justified after what they did. After destroying her Cabal 5 years ago, they dug up the graves she made for those children and fed their bodies to wolves, they attacked small Norse cabal after small Norse cabal to make sure they all felt so threatened that they would not help her, they killed some children with no connection to magic just because they spoke to her when she collapsed on the ground, tortured her and put the last little kid who gave her hope in the hospital. Really, the only reason Kanzaki stopped her was because she was ordered to.
- Power Limiter: When her Saint Powers and Valkyrie Powers are at the same level during the Half-Moon, she loses access to both.
- Power of the Storm: Absolute control over weather phenomena.
- Pretender Diss: She mocks the GREMLIN member Hel for modeling herself after that Norse goddess, commenting that she (Brunhild) had also been given that title.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: In New Testament Volume 4, it is revealed that that the charges were dropped against her after she helped out in World War III. Not only that, the boy she wanted to save woke up, although he is in a hospital now.
- Valkyries: Duh.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She will go to any lengths to protect Ceillier. She won't hesitate to try and kill an unresisting Othinus.
- You Can't Fight Fate: A central theme of Norse Stories, as well as the destiny of Saints. People around them will be hurt for their sakes.
Voiced by: Yuka Terasaki
An exorcist and operative of Annihilatus from the Russian Orthodox Church, Sasha's first appearance in the story was during the "Angel Fall" story arc, where she was possessed by the fallen Archangel Gabriel who was looking for the true culprit of Angel Fall, Touma's father. After the discovery, Gabriel engaged Kanzaki in battle, but was eventually sent back into Heaven by Kanzaki, who mistook Gabriel for the Archangel Michael.
- Badass Adorable: Supposedly, underneath all that bondage gear, she's actually quite cute... Supposedly...
- Bottle Fairy: Apparently, she loves Brandy and Vodka, and even drinks up during work when she isn't supposed to. At least, she has a very high tolerance.
- Chekhov's Gun: Archangel Gabriel reappears once again as Misha Croitsef in Volume 21 after Fiamma summons it.
- Creepy Monotone
- Drop the Hammer
- Inverse Law of Fertility: The leftover telesma in her body has caused her to become unable to bear children, which causes her quite a bit of angst. Not to mention that Vasilisa taunts her over it.
- MacGuffin Girl: Fiamma of the Right actively seeks her for the leftover telesma within her body so that he can summon an Archangel.
- Stripperiffic: Lampshaded in the side story volumes. To be fair, she doesn't dress this way by choice. You can blame Vasilisa for that one.
- The Stoic
- Verbal Tic: "My first question: How do I speak?" "My first answer: Like this."
Voiced by: Joji Nakata
An aloof magician who once kidnapped Index and tried to extract a grimoire from her mind in order to find a cure for a cursed woman he had fallen in love with. When Touma rescues Index and learns of his situation, Touma offers to use Imagine Breaker to save the woman, which he gratefully accepts.
- The Archer: Wields a magical crossbow called an azusayumi.
- Blood From the Mouth/Tears of Blood: The result of trying to read the grimoire.
- Blow You Away
- The Comically Serious
- Eyes Always Shut
- Flash Step
- Noble Demon
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: After realizing what that Touma can save the girl.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Index and Touma convince him to stand down by forcing him to admit his love for the girl he was trying to save, causing him to break down sobbing.
Basis104 -- The One Who Carries the Basis
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki
Oriana Thomson is an 18-year-old blond magician who works as a mercenary. Her sorcery name is Basis104, "The one who carries the basis."
- Badass: She was able to beat Touma without using any supernatural abilities until the boy was vomiting red from internal bleeding. This, is something not even Accelerator was able to do.
- Boobs of Steel
- Code Name: Basis104
- Confusion Fu: A limitation of her "Short Hand" flashcards is that each one is marked with a unique spell, meaning she rarely, if ever, uses the same spell twice. She almost seems to consider this a point of pride at times.
- Cool Big Sis
- Dark Action Girl
- Dark Magical Girl
- Fan Nickname: "Walking Porn". No seriously, that's what Japanese fans call her.
- Hello, Nurse! / Ms. Fanservice
- Femme Fatale
- Hair of Gold
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Japanese Pronouns: Refers to herself as "Onee-san"
- Lady of War
- Loveable Rogue
- Made of Iron: She can take a punch to the face from Touma's right hand, get up, and mock him.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: "The One Who Carries the Basis."
- Tall, Blond, and Bishoujo
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She keeps her shorthand originals there.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The reason she helps the Roman Catholic Church take over Academy City is to ensure that the entire world runs on the same foundation, which would remove the reasons for conflict.
- Wild Card: While she helps the Roman Catholic Church in her first appearance, she's working for the Anglican Church in her second.
- Vancian Magic
- Younger Than They Look: She DOES NOT look 18.
A strange little guy who almost became a "Magic God" or "Majin". He effortlessly defeated Gunha simply to send a message to Aleister: Don't hurt the Gemstones. For reasons unknown, he is intent on protecting "Gemstone" Espers like Himegami, and ironically Gunha as well. His true goal is to find some way of removing Othinus' power, so that she can't abuse it. He's hit by the Fairy spell in New Testament Volume 8, turning him into a fairy with magic even weaker than the average (human) magician.
- Badass: He's cited as being one of the most powerful characters in the series, and when you have guys like Acqua and Accelerator running around, you KNOW that means something.
- Badass Bookworm: Not a literal example. He has gained the knowledge of many grimoires by using the theory of Hliðskjálf to purifies his lifeforce, transforming it into a special magical energy. This barely allows him to survive the process of taking a grimoire's knowledge within him.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Damn Heroes:
- In NT Volume 4, he arrives with Fiamma of the Right to save Touma from One-Eyed Othinus.
- In NT Volume 10, he saves Touma and Othinus from Silvia and Brunhild, on his own, without his power as a part-Magic God.
- Big Good: So far. But given his Wild Card status...
- Brought Down to Normal: After being hit by his own Fairy spell, he's lost his incredible power as a part-Magic God. He can still use magic, but is weaker than even normal human magicians.
- Brought Down to Badass: Despite the former, he's able to incapacitate both Silvia and Brunhild, by redirecting them into colliding with each other.
- Butt Monkey: Is constantly on the receiving end of Silvia's abuse. Apart from a scream or two, or a spurt of genuine terror, he just takes it all in stride.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: To the point that he missed an opportunity to become a Magic God to save a cat. This irritates Silvia, who points out that they can't simply help everyone they come across.
- Cuteness Proximity: He failed to become a Majin only because he didn't want to get a nearby kitten hurt.
- Curb Stomp Battle: He defeated Gunha, a Badass Level 5, without even trying.
- Hair of Gold
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He tries to use the Fairy spell on Othinus, only for her to make him miss, instantly learn the spell, and then use it on him.
- Meaningful Name: The term Majin either means "God of Magic" or "Demon God". He is also named after a legendary figure in Norse Mythology
- His life is also similiar to said mythological figure as depicted in the Gesta Danorum. He has a spell known as Hliðskjálf, AKA the Throne of Odin, much like how the mythological Ollerus temporarily took Odin's throne. And when he lost his chance for title of Majin, it was given to One-Eyed Othinus, much like how Odin--Othinus in Latin--reclaim his throne.
- The Messiah: He first intervened to secure the Gemstones' safety. Then, in the aftermath of World War 3, he saved Fiamma after Aleister blasted him. He also doesn't really seem to like having chaining up child traffickers because, in his own words:
Ollerus: Chaining those human traffickers up and making them do manual labor is no different than what they did. That isn’t what I want.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: If you're a bad guy, oh yes.
- Mysterious Watcher: He's been watching Touma's entire fight against Fiamma and Gabriel, and in the end saves Fiamma's life. He has also expressed interest in Aleister's Aeon of Horus.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: His and Fiamma's attempt to depower Othinus only gives her another way to become a full Magic God. However, since she could make Gungnir herself the entire time, she would have won regardless.
- Nice Guy
- Reality Warper: His power is said to be utterly impossible to explain, but summing it up this way comes closest.
- Torches and Pitchforks: About the entire Magic side is hunting him down because they seek his power, which is close to being a "Majin". They all fail.
- As a side note, the only other person who has been introduced that is a Majin candidate is Index in her "John's Pen" mode.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can assume the appearance of other people, as shown when he impersonates Thor to infiltrate GREMLING.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: While he usually tries to protect innocents, he won't hesitate to do what's necessary in order to oppose Othinus. In NT Volume 8, to maintain his disguise as Thor, he destroys the planes attacking GREMLIN's base, presumably killing everyone on board.
- Wild Card: And how!
One of the 20 Saints in the world, she is acquainted with Kanzaki Kaori and Knight Leader. She went away from England to hone her maid skills and in her travels met Ollerus. She calls him an idiot, but an idiot that needs to be cared for.
- Badass: If you can whip a Reality Warping magic god into submission, you're this.
- Barrier Warrior: Capable of creating barriers that can deflect Thor's attacks. She mentions developing this magic in an effort to curb her Destructive Savior tendencies.
- Born Winner: As a Saint.
- Destructive Savior: She frequently caused significant damage to Buckingham Palace during her duties there. Thor actually criticises her for this.
- Friendly Enemy: She generally doesn't take her fights seriously, so she's often quite affable to her enemies.
- The Gadfly: Repeatedly annoys Leivinia by bringing up her feelings for Touma.
- Hair of Gold
- Goggles Do Nothing
- Lightning Bruiser: Like any Saint, she can exceed Mach 1 and easily level buildings.
- Meido: The Head Maid of the British Royal family no less. She hands down the divine right to rule from God to them. She doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon, though.
- Revenge Before Reason: If anyone hurts Ollerus (or helps someone who did), she will be absolutely ruthless in punishing them. Even if she knows, intellectually, that it might not be necessary, she won't care. Touma ends up on the receiving end of this in NT Volume 10.
- Tsundere: Type A for Ollerus. She has been repeatedly been called to return to England, but didn't. Her reason is apparently so ridiculous to be put in words...
- A Fanon theory is that the supposed cat Ollerus saved instead of becoming a Magic God is actually her. She was the one who told the story, so it's possible she did that edit to maintain her pride.
- Whip It Good
- Wild Card: She seems to not care about her duty with the British Royals, follows Ollerus, and is a Saint.
The Maiden of Versailles
The twin sister of Elizalina, and the enigmatic woman ruling France behind the scenes. She is apparently one of the most powerful magicians in Europe, but has been put on house arrest and stripped of all political influence by the French government.
- Enemy Mine: Teams up with Carissa against Archangel Gabriel.
- Foil: To her sister, Elizalina. Both of them lead nations, one of them manipulating people behind the scenes and the other helping nations prosper. One of them is skilled with warfare, while the other is an intelligent woman who helped her nation become independent and prosperous. Finally, one of them is a highly skilled magician, while the other is merely average in skill.
- Hot Chick with a Sword: In contrast to Elizalina, who is a White Magician Girl.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Was originally supposed to be unable to leave the palace of Versailles because she had been altered so that she could only survive the environment at the palace (a condition that was meant to be a check on her power by France's government), which leads to a momentary Oh Crap when she shows up on the battlefield in person.
- Lady of War
- Public Domain Artifact: Durandal.
- Woman in White
The leader of the Elizalina Alliance of Independent Nations and the twin sister of the Maiden of Versailles.
- Awesomeness By Analysis: Since her magic is also based on the Right Hand's principles, she was able to affect Fiamma's Holy Right, if only temporarily.
- Egopolis: She's not a dictator, but the Alliance of Independent Nations was named after/in honor of her.
- Foil: To her sister, the Maiden of Versailles. Both of them lead nations, one of them manipulating people behind the scenes and the other helping nations prosper. One of them is skilled with warfare, while the other is an intelligent woman who helped her nation become independent and prosperous. Finally, one of them is a highly skilled magician, while the other is merely average in skill.
- The Medic: She's the one who heals Takitsubo. However, she can't heal Last Order.
- Unkempt Beauty
- White Magician Girl: In contrast to the Maiden of Versailles, who wields a sword.
- Woman in White
The head of Annihilatus and Sasha Croitsef's superior.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Never takes anything seriously, forces Sasha to wear a Stripperiffic outfit, and is a serious otaku... and among the strongest magicians in the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: And often forces Sasha to join her in this.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Basically rolls over almost the entirety of the Russian Orthodox Church with almost no effort.
- Deal with the Devil: She apparently sacrificed her own mother and sister for power.
- Hair of Gold
- Healing Factor: Due to drinking the Water of Life.
- Hollywood Acid: Her main weapon, The Water of Death, can reduce a person to bone with one splash.
- I Am a Humanitarian: In Russian Folklore, her real identity is a witch who devours other humans, and for humans the only outcomes when facing her are either run or be devoured.
- Immortality Inducer: An old Russian folk tale about a witch is based on her. She has The Water of Life, which grants its drinker eternal life.
- Made of Iron
- Mama Bear: Concerning Sasha.
- One Woman Army
- Super Strength
- Vocal Dissonance: She sounds like a little girl when casting her magic.
- Wild Card: Her only priority is Sasha's safety, and she'll do anything to ensure it.
She’s a quirky 12-year old girl who's magical prowess have earned her many invitations to other organizations, which she flatly rejected. Instead, she leads her own magical organization, the Dawn-colored Sunlight. She plays a major part of New Testament 3.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: She is the leader of the 10,000 strong magic cabal Dawn-colored Sunlight.
- A-Cup Angst: Oh, definitely, as Fremea-chan demonstrated.
Fremea: And I wear a bra, so I’m essentially the winner.
Leivinia: What are you trying to do!? Are you trying to pick a fight with me, you damn brat!?!?!?
- She picked a fight with Kanzaki Kaori in the Norse Mythology SS over her breast size.
- Anti-Hero: Her Wham! Line gives a good example of her being this.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: To Shiage, because he was sleepy during her course of magic, and that he brought up a certain subject.
- Ascended Extra: Kamachi said that she is his favorite character and was literally squealing in his author's notes when she appeared in New Testament Volume 1.
- Awesome but Impractical: She uses a flintlock pistol as a backup weapon, even though it can only hold one shot, takes a long time to reload, and can't be used immediately after drawing it. Though this is partly due to being unwilling to rely too heavily on science.
- Bad Boss: Abuses poor Mark like there's no tomorrow.
- Body Horror: In NT Volume 14, she uses magic to grow an extra organ in her chest, planning on feeding it to Patricia to remove the latter's parasite.
- Bullying the Dragon: Taunts Aleister Crowley by pointing out how the changing circumstances have derailed his plans and how, in spite of this, he can't take action to correct those problems because that carries the risk of derailing his plans even further. His response is to cut a few strands of hair off of her head to show that he was listening to her and at the same time providing proof for her theory in how he didn't simply decapitate her instead.
- Car Fu: Rams a tanker truck into Cendrillion.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Her sadistic tendencies are mostly played for laughs.
- However, she is stated to hold (tentatively) "[T]he #3 spot in the super sadist world rankings," according to Touma.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Only appeared shortly in cameos for obscure short stories before finally appearing officially in New Testament. She actually first meets Touma in a manga short story set way before her appearance in the main canon. And yes, he sees her naked. For those knowledgeable in those short stories, they would have spotted her brief cameos in Volume 18 and 22.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Although she doesn't exactly qualify as evil. She has no trouble understanding the minds of other Chessmasters like Aleister. However, she can't understand Touma's borderline-suicidal drive to help others without wanting anything in return, and calls him insane.
- The Gadfly
- Genre Savvy: She studies leaders and charismatic people so she may take the best course of action to Take Over the World. Plus, it allowed her to simply analyze Aleister Crowley's mindset and deduce that he's basically backed into a corner and can't do anything.
- Groin Attack: On Touma.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Subverted. Her magic is powerful precisely because she spends a long time working on it. Specifically, she has repeated the same movements again and again, to the point that they become magical symbols that boost her magic.
- He Who Fights Monsters: She's prepared to go to great lengths to oppose GREMLIN, something Touma calls her out on.
- I Am Not Left Handed: After she loses to Touma, Silvia comments that she had only used her minor arcana. The implication is that she would have won if she used her major arcana.
- The Idealist: A variation. Leivinia does genuinely want to save people, but is willing to allow great collateral damage in the process.
- Little Miss Badass: She can create explosions of Telesma powerful enough that they can't be immediately negated by Imagine Breaker, and is considered on par with a Saint.
- Manipulative Bitch: She basically screwed over and destabilized the Science Side by have Accel, Mikoto, and Touma interfere with the activities on Hawaii, without Aleister's manipulations to prevent it, just to bait GREMLIN into moving.
- Morality Pet: She genuinely cares for her sister Patricia, being prepared to outright die for her in NT Volume 14.
- Miss Exposition: In New Testament Volume 2.
- Not So Different: From GREMLIN, Aleister, Fiamma, and Laura, in the fact that she is willing to essentially shatter the peace of the world by destabilizing the Science Side to accomplish her goal.
- Odd Friendship: She and Accelerator have excellent chemistry. He might be replacing Mark Space at this rate.
- Panty Shot: Gives ones to Kaori...
- Pretentious Latin Motto: Regnum771 -- meaning Kingdom.
- The Profiler: Her cabal specializes in analyzing the thoughts and motives of those in leadership positions.
- Reason You Suck Speech: Does this to Aleister. It. Is. GLORIOUS.
- Reverse Psychology: A good example is during the NT Volume 2 epilogue, towards Accelerator.
- Smug Snake
- Sphere of Destruction: Her Telesma bombs.
- Take Over the World: Her organization wants to remove the distinctions between Science and Magic, then rule over both worlds.
- Tarot Motifs: This seems to be a common factor amongst Golden Style magicians as they use the symbols and suits of the tarot to shape their magic.
- Token Evil Teammate: When compared to Touma's other recurring allies. She's willing to exploit his faction to create rifts between Academy City and its collaborators, in order to weaken the Science side.
- Wham! Line: At the end of New Testament 3
Birdway: “I don’t recall ever saying I stood on the side of justice, boy.”
- Wild Card: Her goals and actions pretty much make her this.