A Certain Magical Index/Characters/Scientists and Researchers
The scientists and researchers working on the sidelines of Academy City in order to advance its technology and powers. While some of them are genuinely despicable, there are also those who care for the well-being of Academy City's students.
The Kiharas are on a page of their own.
Voiced by: Touma Yumi
One of Academy City's researchers, as well as one of the direct heads of the "Level 6 Shift" She is also partly responsible for the rescue of Last Order from Ao's plans. She is one of Accelerator's guardians, and is also one of the few people whom he generally opens up to.
- The Atoner: The rare-as-a-hen's-tooth scientist who actually felt remorse for the monstrous Level-6 program.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason Accelerator respects her was because she saved him from an experiment that almost killed him.
- Hot Mom: After she effectively becomes the second adoptive mother of Accelerator and Last Order with Lieutenant Yomikawa.
- Hot Scientist
- Motherly Scientist: Post-Heel Face Turn
- Nerds Are Sexy
- No Nudity Taboo: "[Accelerator's] just a child. It's no big deal [that he walked in on us butt naked]!
One of the scientists who worked on the Level 6 Shift Project, who also invested heavily in it. The closure of the project left him bankrupt. He infected Last Order's brain with a virus that would cause the Sisters to attack everyone around them. Accelerator stopped this, however, and Kikyou shot Ao to death.
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Labcoat: He wears it all the time.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: The one responsible for crippling Accelerator and making him dependent on the Sisters. However, he only managed this because Accelerator's attention was completely focused on Last Order, rendering him unable to reflect the bullet.
- Mexican Standoff: He and Kikyou get into one, and both of them shoot. Ao died, while Kikyou survived due to Accelerator giving her first aid until they reached the hospital.
- Villainous Breakdown: Gradually going through one for his entire screentime, as he's desperate and has lost everything he has.
- Would Hurt A Child: He didn't have a problem with infecting Last Order with a virus that caused her great pain, or trying to shoot her when the virus was removed.
A seventeen-year-old Child Prodigy from Nagatenjouki Academy. She is an expert on biopsychology, and was hired by one of the research facilities in Academy City to work on the Radio Noise project by using her Testament project, a device that allows the quick uploading of information into a human brain.
- The Atoner: She tries to stop the Level 6 Shift Project due to being partly responsible for it happening.
- Badass Normal: She doesn't seem to have any esper abilities, but she's capable of terrifying her enemies to submission using psychological warfare.
- Badass Bookworm
- Child Prodigy
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Ultimately, nearly half of the Sisters are saved, thanks to her telling Mikoto about the project (which eventually led to Touma defeating Accelerator). In Railgun S, she manages to save Janie and Febri, and due to Misaki's work behind the scenes, isn't killed by Academy City.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Seems to prefer wearing one.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Her eyes are far from normal-looking, but she's a nice person. She even uses her appearance as an intimidation tactic.
- Gonk: In the manga, though not the anime.
- Hope Spot: She manages to install a program that would install emotions into the MISAKA network, but Last Order blocks it as the administrator. Although, it's a Foregone Conclusion if you've read the Index novels.
- Money to Throw Away: Her ploy to stop the Radio Noise project is to attract bystanders by throwing cash cards at the locations where the experiments would occur so people would be watching.
- Motherly Scientist: She turns her back on the Radio Noise project once she starts considering the clones as more than just objects.
- The Scapegoat: The researchers intended her to take the blame for the terrorist attacks on the research facilities and for the failure of the Radio Noise project.
- Spared By The Adaptation: The manga implies that she was killed after being captured by ITEM. The anime had a filler arc in which she is sold to STUDY and forced to work for them. However, she is ultimately freed and is able to leave Academy City.
- Superpower Lottery: Her supposed ability to kill anyone she has already touched. Whether this was a bluff or not, we may never know.
- Teen Genius: At seventeen years old, she's involved in biopsychological research and the creator of the Testament teaching device for the Radio Noise project.
- Touch of Death: Claims to have it to scare out some Skill Out thugs.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We never learn what happened to her after she got captured by Team ITEM's henchmen.
A skilled scientist in the field of cybernetics, despite still being a middle school student. She is introduced in the Dream Ranker arc of Railgun.
- Cyborg: To rapidly get results, she volunteered for a radical experiment in which her body was taken apart and used to construct two separate bodies, with the remainder being replaced by machines. After a year, the original Ryoko's body was reassembled.
- Dark And Troubled Past: She was nearly killed in an accident as a child, and her mother had to donate part of her lung to her. Because her mother wasn't in the best of health to begin with, this caused her to weaken further. Ryoko devoted herself to studying cybernetics to help her mother.
- Half the Man He Used To Be: She wasn't literally bisected - instead, she was cut up into many parts that were recombined into two bodies.
- Ignored Expert: She warned her colleagues that reassembling her used cybernetics (to study the nature of the soul) would be dangerous. They didn't listen, leading to the creation of the Doppelganger.
- Professor Guinea Pig: Because of her mother's condition suddenly worsening, she chose to use herself as an experimental subject to get results quickly.
- Teen Genius: Just fourteen years old, yet skilled in the field of cybernetics and also capable of creating the Indian Poker cards.