A Certain Magical Index/Characters/Sisters
The Radio Noise project was originally devised to mass produce Level 5 esper clones of Mikoto Misaka, but only managed to produce Level 2 or 3 espers. It was later retooled in the Level 6 shift project, which involved creating and killing 20000 clones in order to force Accelerator to attain Level 6. After the project was stopped by Touma, several clones are still around after the project. This page details the most prominent ones.
See the Protagonists page.
The Rank 3 Level 5 who unknowingly provided her DNA for the project. Called "Older Sister" by all the clones.
The clones share the following tropes:
- Bad Liar: Their Verbal Tic causes them to immediately give themselves away if they try to deceive someone.
- Clones Are People, Too
- Cuteness Proximity: A mild variation although it's probably natural for Last Order.
- Hive Mind: The Sisters use their electrical powers to constantly stay in contact with each other, although they retain their individual personalities. Last Order serves as the Hive Queen, while Misaka WORST was created specifically to resist orders from the administrator. As revealed in NT Volume 6, the entire network has its own collective consciousness.
- Narrating the Present: With the exception of Misaka WORST.
- Posthumous Character: The vast majority of the clones numbered less than 10032.
- Shock and Awe: Being clones of Mikoto. Most Sisters are Level 2 or 3, while WORST is Level 4.
- Third Person Person: All of them, without exception, refer to themselves (and other Sisters) as "Misaka", both in their normal speech and in their Verbal Tic.
- Verbal Tic: After saying something, they usually follow it with a tic along the lines of: "says Misaka as [explains intentions and/or actions]".
- Younger Than They Look: Comes with accelerated growth.
The very first clone produced. She was a prototype, never intended to be used in the project proper. She is introduced in the Daihaseisai arc of Railgun.
- Cyborg: She needs cybernetics in her chest to keep her alive.
- Expendable Clone: To an even greater extent than her successors. The scientists studying her gave her drugs that shortened her already-short lifespan.
- Flawed Prototype: Unlike the later Sisters, she's dependent on cybernetics to live.
- Ghost Memory: Her memories were passed on to another clone, who is rescued by Misaki and Mitori at the end of the Daihaseisai arc.
- Hidden Depths: Though she appeared to be innocent and ignorant, she was fully aware that she didn't have long to live, and knew that Misaki wasn't really her original friend the entire time.
- Meaningful Name: "Dolly", the same name as the sheep who was the first animal cloned (intentionally by humans). Like the real Dolly, she has an unnaturally short lifespan.
- Only Friend: A girl named "Mi-chan", actually Mitori Kouzaku. When Mitori discovered the truth about the project and tried to stop it, she was imprisoned and couldn't visit Dolly anymore. The unexplained absence caused Dolly to become distressed, interfering with the experiments. The scientists then brought in Misaki and had her use her power to pretend to be Mitori. However, Dolly knew the truth all along, yet became friends with Misaki regardless.
- Posthumous Character: Only appears in flashbacks. However, her memories were passed on to another clone.
- Verbal Tic: The only Sister (besides WORST) to avert this.
- Voiced by Nozomi Sasaki
The 9982nd clone in the Radio Noise project, as well as the first clone that Mikoto meets. She has a rather unique personality compared with the other clones.
- Brutal Honesty: This exchange when she tastes her first cup of tea:
Researcher: How is it? It's a really high quality tea that costs 20000 yen per can.
Misaka 9982: It's horrible.
Misaka 9982: "My very first tea is this crap?!" Misaka laments over her misfortune.
- Classified Information: Her response when asked by Mikoto about the project.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Killed by Accelerator by throwing a train at her, but not before getting her leg violently ripped off by Accelerator.
- Cry Cute: After being released from her People Jars. Justified since her mind was like a newborn baby at that time.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Doomed by Canon: You should really expect this from the clone numbered 9982.
- Emotionless Girl: Although that doesn't stop her from being very snarky.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Doesn't mind dressing up in front of other people, or flipping up her skirt to save a kitten.
- Kill the Cutie
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
Researcher: The people [in the outside world] are packed like sardines, though.
Misaka 9982: People are packed in containers?!
- Panty Shot: Chapter 22. She flips up her skirt to catch a falling kitten.
The 10031st clone in the Radio Noise Project, and the first clone that Touma meets. She is killed by Accelerator the following day. She reappears in New Testament Volume 10 (having been resurrected by Othinus), as the vessel that the Will of the Misaka Network uses to contact Touma.
Misaka 10032/Misaka Imouto
- Voiced by Nozomi Sasaki
The 10032nd clone in the Radio Noise project. Nicknamed "Misaka Imouto" (Misaka Little Sister) by Touma. She was saved by Touma defeating Accelerator. Since then, she and the other clones are undergoing personality rehabilitation. She is one of the clones which remained in Academy City, while several others were distributed around the world.
- Badass Adorable: Comes with being Mikoto's "little sister".
- Berserk Button / Moe: Trying to take anything from her will result in her making Puppy Dog Eyes and begging "Please don't take anything else from me." Actually taking something from her will result in her pulling out her rifle and declaring "The time for revolution has come."
- Cloning Blues
- Cold Sniper: Though she is very kind.
- Emotionless Girl: Subverted in that she’s a warm and kind-hearted girl who has trouble expressing emotions due to being a clone, and therefore not having had practice expressing them.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: They let her see in the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She seems to neither care nor notice that Touma’s getting an eye-full of her striped panties, places his hand on her chest in order to perform readings after he wakes up from a battle, and doesn't bat an eyelash to Touma seeing her completely naked while she undergoes her body adjustments.
- Kill the Cutie: Defied by Touma.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: With Shrodinger/Inu/Tokugawa Ieyasu. Can I take her home with me?
- Me's a Crowd: There are over nine thousand of her ... literally.
- Nice Girl
- Panty Shot: White with blue stripes, to be exact.
- The Quiet One
- Rei Ayanami Expy
- Shrinking Violet: Grows out of this... sort of.
- Strange Girl: Albeit a sweet and lovable one.
- Tranquil Fury: When Last Order steals her goggles, she pulls an assault rifle out and goes on the hunt.
- When She Smiles: For the stray cat who has come to love her... Sniff... Sniff...
- Voiced by Rina Hidaka
The 20,001st clone of the Radio Noise project, who serves as the administrator for the MISAKA network. As a result, she has more raw power than the other sisters, putting her at Level 3. After the Radio Noise project, one of the scientists uploads a virus in her system, attempting to override the MISAKA network. She is saved by Accelerator and eventually becomes his Morality Pet.
- A-Cup Angst: She is very jealous of Misaka Worst's breasts. She doesn't take it well when Worst says she won't get to her level because they've been grown with different hormones.
- Blush Sticker
- Cheerful Child / Genki Girl: Unlike the other 20,000 Sister clones, she's quite capable of expressing emotions and is quite a cheerful girl.
- Damsel in Distress: Despite being Level 3, her powers are underdeveloped, putting her in several dangerous situations involving those who want to tamper with the MISAKA network.
- Has Two Mommies: Her guardians, Aiho and Kikyo.
- Idiot Hair: She's by no means an idiot though.
- Living MacGuffin / MacGuffin Girl: As the central controller of the Sisters network, she has been captured at least twice in an effort to upload a virus to all the other Sisters.
- Morality Pet: To Accelerator.
- Verbal Tic: In addition to Narrating the Present she announces herself as the topic of the conversation twice (Misaka wa Misaka wa) which isn't really translatable.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: With the advent of the MISAKA Worst clones, Aleister planned to replace her with a MISAKA Worst-version administrator. Accelerator thwarts this, fortunately.
Third generation, higher-level (Level 4) and high-school version of the clones fully designed for combat purposes. They were secretly developed by Aleister, who intended to replace the outdated second generation clones to improve the MISAKA Network.
- Alpha Bitch: To the clones and pretty much everyone else.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She seems to be this way towards Accelerator. It doesn't help she doesn't like the 'Hero', Touma.
- Annoying Laugh
- Anti-Hero: Started out as Type V-IV, but has now shifted towards Type III.
- Ax Crazy: Justified. She was literally designed to be this by genetic manipulation; as she runs off the negative emotions in the MISAKA Network and had Accelerator's old thought patterns forced into her. Averted after making a Heel Face Turn by expanding on the implication that she mostly just hates Accelerator and the researchers.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Accelerator.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Look down at the Dark and Troubled Past below.
- Bi the Way: From how she acts with Accelerator, and Umidori, it's quite questionable.
- Big Breasts, Big Deal: Type 4, she's not afraid to make girls like Last Order and Misaka Mikoto realize it, she's willing to shove Umidori into them, and she wouldn't mind if Accelerator groped her.
- Blood Knight: Although she is this, Worst points out in NT 3, that when she's not with Accelerator, she loses interest.
- Boobs of Steel
- Byronic Hero
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Has demonstrated the ability to break the fourth wall.
Misaka Worst: Oh, Misaka never said that. Maybe she was talking about number of appearances.
Misaka Mikoto: Now you’ve said it!!
- Break the Haughty: Administers this to Umidori so much that she makes her cry.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: In NT, notable for being against her will. Since she's an Enemy Without, she expresses all negative emotions, including jealousy. So when Last Order is feeling a strong bout of jealousy, Hilarity Ensues.
- Cloning Blues: Right when she was created, she was subject to invasive surgery to cut her off from the Network. If all had gone as planned, she would be one of many clones, just as expendable as those they replaced.
- Dark Action Girl
- The Dark Side: She often states that she lives for this.
- Enemy Without: Sort of; Misaka Worst is the outlet of the negative feelings of the original network. Her will can be overtaken if the negativity is too strong.
- |Evil Twin: Initially. Later, she just becomes a Jerkass twin.
- Evil Counterpart: To Misaka Mikoto, Last Order, heck, pretty much all of the clones. Well with Mugino's persona and Accelerator's old thought patterns planted into her, how can she not be evil?
- Evil Laugh
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: In NT volume 3, while Worst is jamming all the cameras, she confesses that she's worried about putting Accelerator in danger.
- Femme Fatale: Oh yeah, big time.
- The Gadfly: It seems that if she doesn't get to be evil, she's at least going to do her best to troll everyone.
- Shiage points out she's the true villain while watching her abuse Umidori.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Her lightning is purple, compared to the original's blue.
- The Gunslinger: Shows signs of being able to use guns pretty well.
- Heel Face Turn: Teams up with Accelerator after trying to kill Last Order and him under orders from Academy City.
- Has Two Mommies: |Since she has now started living with Accelerator, Yoshikawa has already given Worst a dress.
- Hellish Pupils
- Ironic Fear: Of Touma; unlike the other Sisters. This is justified, as she values herself as the negative embodiment of the Misaka network, and NONE of the Sisters have negative feelings about him, making her fear him as dangerous to her existence.
- Knife Nut: In NT, when Accelerator told her to use it against the FRESHMEN, she told him she already did. Knowing Worst, who knows what she could done to them?
- Laser Guided Tykebomb: Sent out to break Accelerator by either forcing him to kill her (which would break him), kill Last Order, kill him since he doesn't want to reflect her attacks and is relying on dodging, or in a worst case scenario simply die in front of him. Her entire mental outlook is more or less shaped around making her hate Accelerator and herself.
- Mind Rape: |To Accelerator. Technically, she fails although she does basically break him. Accelerator doesn't die, Last Order doesn't die and she herself survives. After the whole thing, Accelerator is even better off due to Touma fixing him.
- Motive Rant / Dark and Troubled Past: She kind of has a point, actually.
Misaka Worst: “Misaka was created in order to kill [Accelerator]. Misaka didn’t particularly want to be born, but she was forced to do so. In order to cut off the signals form Last Order, her skin was cut open and a bunch of strange sheets and selectors were embedded within. If it weren’t for you, none of that would have happened. If you hadn’t made that decision, Misaka would never have been born. And even if she had been, it would not have been in that way that cut off all chance for a future. ‘It hurts. Help.’ By the time Misaka learned those words, she was already in a situation where she could not say them. That is why Misaka has the right to blame you. That is why she has a reason to kill you.”
- Nail'Em: She can use Mikoto's Railgun technique... except she uses a nail instead of a coin.
- Odd Action Duo: Her and Kuronyan.
Misaka Worst: How about we join forces as the villain girl combo?
- Psycho Electro
- Red Oni: To Accelerator's blue.
- She's All Grown Up: She's an older, high-school version of Misaka Mikoto.
- Ship Tease: With Accelerator.
- Averted with Touma and to a certain extent Shiage.
- Slasher Smile: Just look at her, usually is seen sporting one.
- The Tease: In New Testament Volume 1.
Misaka Worst: Should Misaka use her tongue seductively as she licks [the ice cream]?
Accelerator: Who are you trying to please by doing that? Yourself?
Misaka Worst: Well, there is that. If it would be devastating to your relationship with Last Order, Misaka will let you touch her tits and ass, but doing it now would seem rather pointless.
- They Would Cut You Up: Poor WORST.
- Troll: Oh so very, very much.
- Tsundere: She has show slight signs of this towards Accelerator because of the aforementioned use of Enemy Without.
Misaka Worst: Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! Misaka doesn’t care about him, so why!?
- In New Testament Volume 3, she remarks that when she isn't with Accelerator, she loses interest in picking fights. In short, Accelerator's proximity is her tsun trigger.
- Woman in White: Shows shades of this, but More like Woman in Black.
- Would Hurt a Child: She tried to kill Last Order in her first appearance.
- Yandere: Well she was pretty crazy for wanting to kill Accelerator, and even now, she's still got the Ax Crazy persona, just toned down. It doesn't help that she got her personality from Mugino.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Academy City made sure than whatever was the outcome of her fight with Accelerator, she would self-destruct. Who saves her? The broken, dead-inside Accelerator that just broke her arm due to being brutally Mind Raped by her. And in a different way, her generation of clones were intended to be this towards the previous set of clones. However, Accelerator appears to have forced them to stop production.
Will of the Whole Misaka Network
The collective consciousness of the 20,001 Sisters (not including Misaka WORST). She is first introduced in New Testament Volume 6.
- Hive Mind: She is one.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: Because she is made of the memories of the dead Sisters as well as the minds of the living ones, she is neither alive nor truly dead. As a result, she is temporarily able to retain her memories of the original world, despite Othinus changing the world countless times (as Othinus can only control the living and the dead). This didn't last, since in the world where this is shown, all the dead Sisters have been resurrected, and so her memories would eventually be overwritten as well.
- Spanner in the Works: Othinus didn't expect her to retain her memories, and to talk Touma out of committing suicide.
- Super Mode: Fusing with Hyouka turns the latter into an artificial angel. Fusing with Mikoto causes her to begin ascending to a Level 6.
- Walking Spoiler
- Verbal Tic: She has a unique one; instead of narrating her actions, she speaks like a typewriter, finishing her sentences with "escape" and "return".