A Certain Magical Index/Characters/Tokiwadai
A middle school in Academy City exclusive to rich female students. It is notable for having produced two Level 5s: Mikoto Misaka, the Railgun, and Misaki Shokuhou, the Queen of Tokiwadai. They also have a dormitory exclusive for their students.
See the Protagonists page.
See the A Certain Scientific Railgun Sub-Series Protagonists page.
Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki
A Level 4, 2nd year transfer student of Tokiwadai Middle School. A rival to Kuroko Shirai, she is confident, boastful, and desires to become a Level 5. Although she if often boastful about her abilities, she usually finds herself the victim of several attacks.
- Alternate Continuity: Has irreconcilable differences between how she is portrayed in the Anime and in the manga. Notably in the manga and in her brief appearance in novels she is introduced as a New Transfer Student to Tokiwadai about a month after the end of the Railgun anime, and quickly became good friends with Mikoto as well.
- Back-to-Back Badasses
- Badass Adorable: Once she starts showing her kind and sensitive side.
- Big Damn Heroes: Twice, with Lampshade Hanging.
- Blow You Away: Her power, Aero Hand, allows her to create powerful gusts of wind. Combining multiple gusts allows her to generate enough lift to launch objects into space.
- Butt Monkey: Until Episode 23...
- Catch Phrase: "Do you, X, know that your Y with Kongou Mitsuko of Tokidawai?"
- Drama Queen: When she's taken out during an event in the Daihaseisai, she acts as if she was killed, even asking for someone to take care of her pet snake. She stands up when the referee points that she needs to leave the play area.
- Feather Boa Constrictor: During the Beach Episode
- Forehead of Doom
- Hidden Depths: When Misaka 10032 accidentally takes Mikoto's place for an event, Mitsuko's the only one who figures it out. Though she comes to the (not-unreasonable) conclusion that she's actually Mikoto's twin sister.
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While arrogant, she honestly cares for her underclassmen and comes twice to the rescue of her self-proclaimed rival/friend Mikoto and is kind to children.
- Large Ham: She just loves to talk.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch
- New Transfer Student: At least in the manga.
- Normal Fish in a Tiny Pond: When she first transfers to Tokiwadai, she thinks that she'll stand out thanks to her wealthy family and Level 4 esper ability. Except that Tokiwadai only accepts girls from wealthy backgrounds who are at least Level 3, and it has two Level 5s.
- Ojou: The vocabulary she uses is extremely refined and genteel, even more-so than Kuroko's, as the thugs trying to mug her Episode 15 point out, annoyed by the noble arrogance it carried.
- One Girl Army
- Spoiled Sweet: Though she is not shy about showing-off how wealthy and chic she is, she is equally generous about sharing all the perks and benefits of her wealth with her friends.
- Start My Own: Some time after arriving as a transferee in Tokiwadai, she notes how there are several cliques/factions in the school. She couldn't decide which one to join, so she opts to start one of her own, but is discouraged after seeing the largest clique, led by the Queen of Tokiwadai.
- Then after failing to get anyone to join, when Wannai and Awatsuki offer to join her clique, she says they should be friends instead.
- The Rival: With Kuroko, whom she despises, and the feeling’s mutual. However they come to grudgingly respect each other as warriors after fighting side-by-side in the final episode of Railgun.
- Unknown Rival: She initially aimed to be the Ace of Tokiwadai, but Mikoto wasn't aware of it at all. She eventually realized that Mikoto was the first friend she'd made there, and stops this.
See the Level 5 Espers page.
A member of Misaki's clique. She is a recurring character in Railgun, and the main character of the spinoff A Certain Scientific Railgun: Astral Buddy. She has the Level 4 ability Rampage Dress.
- Anime Hair: She has extremely voluminous ringlet curls, which are the source of her nickname.
- Ascended Extra: She becomes the main character in Astral Buddy.
- Fan Nickname: Until she was officially named, fans referred to her as "Ringlet curl girl" (the same nickname used in-universe by Mikoto).
- Happiness in Slavery: As shown by her Indian Poker card, she considers acting as Misaki's slave to be a happy dream.
- Nice Girl: Always nice to everyone, and tries to make Mikoto and Misaki get along.
- No Name Given: She was only named in her own spinoff, remaining unnamed in the main Railgun series.
- Oblivious to Love: She doesn't realize that many of her underclassmen are in love with her. When Kuroko points out one of them, Junko becomes a blushing mess.
- Odd Friendship: With Mikoto, bonding over their shared love of Gekota.
- Required Secondary Powers: Subverted. She does not have enhanced durability, so boosting her strength and speed risks causing injury.
- Shock and Awe: A very specific and unique example. Junko can manipulate the electrical signals in her own cells, allowing her to boost various attributes (e.g. gaining Super Strength, Super Speed or an enhanced sense of smell).
- Undying Loyalty: To Misaki.
Kinuho Wannai & Maaya Awatsuki
Voiced by: Tamatsu Haruka (Kinuho) & Nanjou Yoshino (Maaya)
Two Aquakinetic espers who hang around with Kongou Mitsuko a lot and are members of Tokiwadai's swimming club. Neither of them play a very prominent role in the series. Kinuho's ability is level 3 Hydro Hand, and Maaya has an ability to "skate" on a wave that she can manifest even on dry land. When Maaya carried Kinuho, they were an effective high-speed assault unit during the general melee at the end of the second season of Railgun.
- Big Damn Heroes:
- The two of them rescue Mitsuko from Baba Yoshio, and manage to defeat the latter.
- They also do this in the final episode of Railgun S, together with all of Judgement.
- The Dividual: They always appear together, and their personalities are quite similar.
- Gravity Master: Maaya's ability, Float Dial, isn't technically this. But for all intents and purposes, it has the same effects, as raising an object's buoyancy makes it easier to lift, and vice versa.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Maaya's voice actor is also the vocalist of fripSide, who performs both opening theme songs of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun.
- I Am Not Left Handed: Kinuho does to Baba. She appears to only control three clumps of water, which Baba observed and mistook for her limit. However, she actually kept a fourth clump underground, hidden in a pipe, and used it when Baba thought she'd run out of water.
- Is This What Anger Feels Like?: Kinuho mentions in Railgun chapter 45 that she's never really gotten angry before and Maaya's attempt at getting angry was cute instead. After seeing Mitsuko badly beaten by Baba, this... changes.
- Making a Splash: Kinuho's ability, Hydro Hand. It can only control large clumps of water, not water that's splashed on the ground.
- Mundane Utility: They offer to use their powers to help Mikoto and Kuroko clean the pool in episode 2. Its also suggested they may use their powers to help them get better times in swimming club.
- Nice Girl
- Those Two Girls
- Tranquil Fury: When they see Mitsuko injured at Baba's hands, they're absolutely furious.
Tokiwadai Dormitory Supervisor
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame
If there was ever reason you don't mess with the rules, this woman is that reason. As the Dorm Supervisor of Tokiwadai it’s her job to make sure the girls living there don't break the dorm rules, and she provides plenty of incentive to never break them ever! Though a mere Level 0, her skills in "subduing" troublemakers are... effective. So if you ever meet her and she knows you've broken the rules (and she will), or god forbid she catches you in the act (and she will), it was nice knowing you...
- Amusing Injuries: The administer of them, at least. With this lady, you get the pleasure of having your neck broken and living to tell scary stories about it...
- Badass Normal: When you have Level Fucking Fives fearing for their lives at the mere mention of your name, you'd learn well to not underestimate a Level 0...
- She took down a group of Hound Dog commandos with no weapons!
- She absolutely terrifies two Level 5's simultaneously (Mikoto and Gunha) and scares the latter into running the hell away. Why? The former’s on the ground with her neck snapped!
- To be fair these two events are of questionable canonocity (the Hound Dog incident was in a fairly silly manga omake and the incident with the two level 5s came from the Fanfare side story, which was written by a different author), so it may be a case of Memetic Badass exaggerating her effectiveness to some degree.
- Blatant Lies: She once told someone that "I've never scolded my dormitory students". Suuuuuure.
- Christmas Cake
- Death Glare
- The Dreaded: To the girls of Tokiwadai, she's even more feared than Accelerator.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She tries her very best to hide the fact that she’s a kind, gentle, and loving kindergarten teacher to a school of orphans when not working at the dormitory.
- Hot Chick in a Badass Suit: You may debate the "hot" part, but that suit of hers is Badass regardless of who you ask.
- It Got Worse: What?! There's two of them?! Be afraid. Be very afraid.
- Knight Templar
Dorm Supervisor: Oh I see. 'Extenuating circumstances...', you could say? However... (*grabs Kuroko, breaks her neck, and tosses her aside like a rag doll*) were I to accept 'extenuating circumstances' as an excuse, I would not be able to maintain the peace of this dormitory. Those who break the rules ought to be punished. Don't you agree, Misaka?
- Meganekko / Stoic Spectacles
- Neck Snap: It's what she does.
- No Name Given
- Oh Crap: Has elicited some epic ones from Mikoto and Kuroko.
- One Woman Army: She gets a scene in a manga omake where she takes down a paramilitary squad out without using weapons or powers.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Well good day "Dorm Mother", of course we were not up to any mischief..."
- Perpetual Frowner
- VERY Scary Shiny Glasses
- Specs of Awesome
- breaking your neck!