A Ma Soeur!
A ma soeur! (For my Sister), released in some English-speaking countries as Fat Girl, is a 2001 French drama film directed by Catherine Breillat.
Sisters Anais and Elena Pingot (Anais Reboux and Roxane Mesquida) are on a vacation at the seaside with their mother and Workaholic father. Anais is 13 and Elena is 15. Elena is a vision of beauty, whereas Anais, while not by any means ugly, is also not by any means slim; hence the English title. Though Elena has not yet lost her virginity, she could do so at any time with any man she wanted; Anais is jealous and longs to have sex herself. She can only lurk, seething in the background, as Elena carries out a torrid affair with and eventually does lose her virginity to Italian exchange law student Fernando (Libero De Rienzo) in front of her.
The film is notable for its themes of teenage sexuality, graphic sexual scenes (there is one uncensored shot of Fernando putting a condom over his erect penis), and for its ending: the girls' mother discovers that Elena has had sex and rushes home to have her VD tested. Whilst they are staying the night on the road in their car, a thug breaks in, kills Elena with an axe, strangles the mother, and then pursues Anais into the woods and rapes her. Thus; her desire for sex is fulfilled, albeit through rape and at the cost of the life of the sister she both loved and hated.
A major theme in the film is whether it is better to lose your virginity to someone you love or to someone you don't.
Critical consensus would seem to hold that this is Catherine Breillat's best film.
- All Women Are Lustful
- Be Careful What You Wish For: A VERY dark example.
- Downer Ending
- Fat Girl: Take a wild guess...
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry
- Male Frontal Nudity: If you're too squeamish to see an adult guy's penis, don't watch the movie.
- Mood Whiplash: Although it wasn't exactly light and fluffy before, the scene of Anais' mother and sister getting brutally murdered in their car was quite different in tone from everything up until that point.