A Miscellaneous Tale of Night and Day
"You're practically in love with him, aren't you?" White asked, joining me.
"How could you think that?" Lyra asked, even though the answer was fairly obvious.
"Could we list you as a "Stalker with a Crush" on TV Tropes?" I asked again.
-- Chapter 9: All You Need At The BW Agency!
A Miscellaneous Tale of Night and Day is a Pokémon Special fanfiction by Starran. An AU romantic comedy set in a school setting. The problem? They were all sent there against their free will, whether they accepted the scholarship or not. The main pairings are Special (Red and Yellow), Old Rival (Blue and Green), Manga Quest (Gold and Crystal), and Frantic (Ruby and Sapphire). Though there does seem to be some Agency (Black and White), hints of both Commoner and Haughty (Platina and either Diamond or Pearl), and Soul Silver (Lyra and Silver).
Each student at Pokemon Special Talents Academy is chosen because they have a talent that exceeds human possibilities. No one can escape, and no one knows the reason for the existence of the school. However, it's almost forgotten when they adapt to the school's normal, easy setting. But as Yellow starts uncovering the past about Seae with the diary coming up things could end up being anything but easy... Can an ex-thief, a shy healer, a girl genius and a violent wild girl put aside their troubled pasts, emotional differences and their love problems to prepare for what is coming, or will friends turn on each other in an emotional mess?
Four girls among these students are Blue, Yellow, Crystal, and Sapphire. This fanfiction follows their lives at PSTA, through hilarity and drama. Blue, who is secretly a thief who goes by the name of Aoi, plays as the hyper cupid of the group. Yellow acts as the shy, Shrinking Viola of the group, sweet and loveable , but is also a Hidden Badass. Crystal is the young genius of the group, and also seems to be the only one who seems to take things seriously. Then, lastly, Sapphire, our loveable Miss Badass, violent in every way.
Each girl meets their certain guy, and lives on through their new lifestyle. Though events begin to unfold, and the mystery behind PSTA begins to open up to the world, and when history starts to repeat itself in more then one way the students of PSTA are going to be forced to prepare for the best, the worst and probably the funniest.
A mix of hilarious romance, and dark mysteries loom in this fanfic. You're just going to have to read and see.
- Accidental Public Confession: Blue and Crystal seem to walk into one from Sapphire to Gold. Though it's actually Sapphire encouraging Gold to confess his feelings to Crystal after hearing his story about their past.
- Accidental Marriage: Averted, Blue ends up tricking Crystal and Gold to sign a contract, but you probably know what that means...
- Action Girl: Sapphire all the way. She beats someone up in almost every chapter.
- But it actually turns out Yellow's and even better example that Sapph of all people.
- Hey, she and Red got into a freaking one-on-one brawl.
- Their pokemon were in the background, their fists were in each other's faces.
- Adults Are Useless: Not really "useless"... just evil.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Super Serious Gal" still stands, much to Crystal's chagrin.
- As it turns out through a flashback: "Intelligent Flirt" and "Krissy".
- Alternate Universe
- A Match Made in Stockholm: It seems to be this way at first, but things are starting to seem pretty shady with how everyone actually met...
- Attempted Rape: Poor Mamoru... Sapphire to the rescue!
- Badass Bookworm: Black is a complete geek, a complete hyperactive geek, but the entire reason he's at the school isn't for the books, it's for the bronze.
- Because Destiny Says So: PSTA doesn't let anyone escape from being brought or being taught on PSTA grounds. Once they choose you, you're going to PSTA.
- Becoming the Mask: Blue pretty much forgot about her past life as phantom thief Aoi.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Yellow wasn't too happy about Blue forcing her to kiss Red. Though you can pretty much say she liked it, anyways.
- But then she get's a MAJOR boost in this trope in chapter 17...
- Big Eater: Sapph has a major obsession with chocolate, but she cleans out the fridge of everything else, as well.
- Can't leave Dia out of this
- Boy Meets Girl: As it turns out Gold and Crys.
- Can't Spit It Out: Dia seems to really have trouble with this.
- Card Game Gone Horribly Wrong: Green walks in on Blue, Crystal, and Gold playing a very interesting game of cards...
Green: "I was only going there to check up on the pokemon, I swear. I didn't want it horrifically dead, or starving to dead, or have fallen off the balcony, or anything like that, so I went there.
I immediately regret doing so.
Blue: "You LOST! TAKE IT OFF!"
Crystal: "NO! I DON'T WANNA!"
I stood there, frozen at the door, my hand stuck to the handle. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't speak, I was just utterly shocked and confused on what was going on." -Green 'Chapter 16' 'Doubt and Day Care'
- Cerebus Syndrome: The fic starts off relatively sweet and funny (well, except the whole kidnapped children thing). However, as it develops the plot gets a lot darker and more dramatic.
- Chekhov's Gun: Remember the Queen's Pearl Blue stole in the prologue? It's the exact same artifact that had Iris cursed and Drayden's soul stolen by Darkrai twenty years ago.
- Gold and Crystal are knocked unconscious due to the effects of some cupcakes in Karen's office. Anyone remember another conscious-related cake that appeared earlier in the chapters?
- Chekhov MIA: Red's older brother, Criomson had been said to have been missin, and even earlier Blue mentioned that she had a missing sister.
- Guess who had been in the Gamma group just five years before?
- Chekhov's Skill: Blue and her sister, Seae both have a knack for setting up couples. Blue had been the one who had Gold and Crystal married, finally making them a canon ship.
- It's later revealed that due to explicit amounts of Time Travel, it was Seae who had started the ship in the first place, along with Lapis, by giving Crystal the encouragement to bring Gold a lunch.
- They also stole the lunch he "forgot" too.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: More or less with Gold and Crystal. It turns out that Gold and Crys are childhood lovers (almost) from Jr. High. Crys seems not to remember, but Gold finally has figured it out. Right after they got together (almost) Crys/Krissy promised Gold that if he could bake a cake better than her's one day, she would marry him. That is, until Gold's letter came...
- Kid!Sapphire also did this to Kid!Ruby once, but she didn't know the concept that well back then, much to Ruby's embarassment.
- Children Are Innocent: Candy sets this example for her first few seconds of screen time... until she opens her mouth.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Gold
"Note to self: Remember to wear thick clothes to absorb the pain of Crys' punches when suggesting the idea.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Fanboy Will
- Cute Bruiser: If Sapph could be called "cute"...
- Dear Arceus, Yellow, what else are you hiding?
- Dark Secret: Yellow used to be the infamous "Beast of the Viridian Forest" before she evolved into the "Maiden". Turns out she's a total Badass.The story is complicated...
- People are starting to worry about Iris...
- Whatever is behind Seae and her friends in her diary is really freaky, especially the last page...
- The past behind Sapphire and Ruby, though there might even be more to it than what they know...
- The entire school faculty is WAY more than it seems...
- You haven't seen the last of the "Dragoness"...
- DEAR ARCEUS EVERYONE HAS ONE
- Darker and Edgier
- Ruby's Salamence Incident is even darker than it was in the original manga.
- Dandere: Quiet child Candy.
- Everyone Can See It: Between Red and Yellow, yes. Everyone else seems to be one-sided because the other half is completely and utterly stupid about love, as it seems.
- Everyones a Super: Everyone accepted into the school has a superhuman talent. Crys is a Child Genius, Blue is the female equivalent to Spiderman, Yellow can heal and talk to pokemon, Sapph has Super Strength, Red is the Badass leader, Green can teach pokemon pretty much anything, no one really knows about Gold at first, but you can pretty much see that he's a breeder, and Ruby's talent has yet to be revealed.
- We later discover that both Seae's friends (the Gammas), and two similar groups before them (the Alphas and Betas) had almost identical abilities, as they were all necessary for something that links Fionn, Iris' curse and Time Travel.
- Caitlin the Prophesier
- "Falling in Love" Montage: How Red and Yellow's relationship starts out. But is it really...?
- Fan Boy: Will is a passionate RGD fanboy.
- Fan Girl: The RGD fangirls take up over half of the female population in the school, led by the passionate quad: Lecca, Dani, Yuuno, and Toni.
- Mamoru starts a new fanclub for Sapphire, and it already has members.
- First Love: This to Gold and Krissy and Ruby and Sapphire.
- Oh, and we can't forget about the huge Mind Screw about Yellow to this Crimson guy.
- Gender Bender Friendship: This seems to be happening with Ruby and Sapphire, nice going, Ms. Ruka
Ruby: "Just two days ago I CROSS. DRESSED. as my female self just to cheer her up."
Gold: "...Dude, you're screwed up."
- Genre Savvy: Blue
- Handsome Lech: Gold
- Hates Being Touched: Sapph towards the male population. With the exception of Ruby and sometimes Gold.
- High School Sweethearts: Well, more like Jr. High with Gold and Crys.
- Hopeless Suitor: Silver doesn't seem to ever have a chance with Blue.
- Ruby's not quite one of these, but the fates have truly conspired against him to throw everything possible between himself and Sapphire. Including himself. Twice. Both as Ms. Ruka, being the only friend Sapphire trusts not to tell Ruby about her predicament, and as his younger self, who Sapphire feels she is betraying by falling for the same guy.
- Irony: Displayed plenty of times throughout the fic.
Crystal (after playing Palkia invaders with Gold): "Ever have the striking feeling that the people who made this game should have called it "Space Invaders"?"
Gold: "Come on! What kind of name is "Space Invaders"? No one would buy a game called "Space Invaders"!"
- Immortality Hurts: Iris. It hurts so much she's been driving almost the entire plot to fix it. Although we're not sure how...
- It Doesn't Mean Anything: After Red and Yellow kissed, neither of them really seem to acknowledge it, though there are some blushy moments.
- Keet: Pearl, whenever he gets sugar-high.
- Long-Lost Relative: Weeeeell, as it turns out, Seae is Blue's sister.
- And as it just happens to turn out, if you read carefully, and just take a second look at Crimson Ross's last name.
- Just Friends: Red and Yellow, nobody else wants to be considered "Friends"
- as of Chapter 16, Gold and Crystal are no longer of this trope.
- Love Chart: Blue seems to be creating her own in that little blue notebook of her's. The thing is that if there's a pairing in her notebook then it Must Be Canon.
- Love Confession: A pretty dramatic one with Young!Gold to Young!Crys.
- Crystal accidentally did this in front of Gold (and Blue and Green), but this was averted, much to Gold's depression.
Crystal: "I LOVE YOU!"
- Love Is in the Air
- Masochism Tango: Ruby and Sapphire. Although there is some with Crystal and Gold and even hints between Blue and Green
- More like Masochism Episode, then Awkward Avoidance with Red and Yellow.
- Ruby gets this taken Up to Eleven.
- Mind Screw: Where do you even start? Firstly there's everybody's crazily linked backstories. Then you find out that it was all because of the Gamma group, consisting of Seae and her friends. All due to Time Travel, and that all of that is because Iris is cursed with freaking immortality.
- Mouthy Kid: Candy. No one knows who she is or where she came from, but as soon as she opens her mouth, you just want to shut her up. It's hinted that she has absolutely no idea what she's saying, since she just absorbed it all in from what she heard. But her popularity also skyrocketed because of this, and because of the fact that she hinted that Crys and Gold were her actual parents.
"Candy": "Mama is always busy at work, and Papa said I couldn't say anything in front of Mama because Mama would beat the crap out of him. He says that would be bad, really, really fuc—"
Crys: "I wonder what kind of family she had back home..."
Gold: ""Forget that, this kid is awesome! I wish she really was mine! Crys, let's raise one just like her!"
- Nice Guy: RED
- No Indoor Voice: Sapph
- Oblivious to Love: Ruby and Blue are perfect examples. Blue is too busy shipping her friends to notice Green, while Ruby is stuck on the sewing machine instead of paying attention to Sapphire's feelings.
Blue: "It's fun when it happens to you guys, it's awkward when it happens to me. Do you know how that feels?"
Crystal: "You made me feel that way for the past month!"
Blue: "Because it was fun! It still is!"
- Black seems to fit this trope, as well.
- Original Character: Mamoru, Sapph's super stalker with "invisibility" talents, unfortunately.
- The R-G Double Crew: Lecca, Toni, Yuuno, and Dani.
- Only Sane Man: Mostly Green.
- Crystal can also fit into this picture.
- Ruby also sometimes does this but he can stray away at times.
- Rule of Funny
- Second Love: Yellow had a onesided love for Crimson before she fell for Red.
- Secret Diary: Seae's Diary seems to reveal much more to Yellow then she wanted...
- Secret Identity: Blue doesn't want people to know the fact that she's the phantom thief, Aoi.
- Secret Legacy: Blue has one.
- Seae and her friends have a big impact on the school.
- Ever hear of the "Beast of the Viridian Forest"?
- Secret War: The school faculty is preparing for one.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: This seems to be happening a lot with Ruby and Sapph...
Gold: "Ah, you two are Like an Old Married Couple"
Ruby and Sapphire: "Stop saying that!"
- This also happened with Red and Yellow once, but in a much more perverted sense
- Shipper on Deck: Pearl is trying to hook Dia up with Platina.
- Can't forget about Blue with Yellow and Red.
- Shout-Out: Plenty: Ace Attorney, Homestuck, even the Pokemon video game style. It is a parody fic, after all.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Onesided on Gold's side, though Crystal still loves him.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Gold has had a lock on Crystal for over four years.
- Slap Slap Kiss: You may say this fits in perfectly with Sapph to Ruby, which it does, but it turns out that the more appropriate couple to trope this to is Young!Crys to Young!Gold.
- After Red and Yellow's rather extreme take on this, Sapphire worries about her and Ruby turning out equally badly. However, she makes her complaints to Ruka.
- Stalker with a Crush: Lyra to Silver. Heck, it even states this.
Blue: "Could we list you as a "Stalker with a Crush" on TV Tropes?"
- Mamoru can also fit into this category. It doesn't help Sapphire that her special talent is invisibility.
- Supreme Chef: Crystal and Gold
- The Matchmaker: Blue.
- Also Lyra, Blue's perfect other.
- Pearl also seems to be having fun with this.
- There's even a OneShot by Music Intuition set in the Amotodan universe that's entirely Blue playing this trope and roping in others to help her out.
- The Stoic: Green used to be one.
- The Talk: Weirdly enough, Crystal got the pretty much screwed up version as a kid and is still getting fed lies now, while perverted Gold forced it out of his father years ago.
- Sapph is also being deceived.
- There Are No Therapists: Well, if you have to resort to Gold of all people to help work through your relationship problems, you really are out of options. Crystal does the same for the girls, although they probably just made poor Ruby worse.
- They Really Do Love Each Other: Gold and Crystal, onsided hate at first, but it was later revealed to be something else.
- Through Her Stomach: How Gold was originally planning to propose to Crystal.
- Time Travel: In the single greatest Mind Screw in a plot literally filled with them, it transpires that the main characters are set up to become the fourth group of time travellers, in order to somehow cure Iris' curse and save her adoptive father. To make it even crazier, the third group were Seae and her friends from her diary, who have been directly (in Seae's case) or indirectly influencing pretty much everything that's happened in the backstories of the fourth group. Yeah.
- Trauma Conga Line: Everybody's favourite punching bag, Ruby.
- Tsundere: The most obvious is Sapphire, however, the better troper here is Crystal, she's been at it for a couple years and she doesn't even realize it.
- Scratch that, Crys has been doing it knowingly for over over three years
- Will They or Won't They?: WELL WILL THEY OR FREAKING WON'T THEY??: to pretty much every single pairing in the fic.
- Chapter 16 rids Gold and Crystal of this trope.
- Hell, they're married.
- Used to be like this for Gold and Crys, but it was averted.
- Chapter 16 rids Gold and Crystal of this trope.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ruby (although who else would you expect?) as Ruka Byminine, Sapphire's friend and confidant.
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever: It seems to be this way with White to Black.
- Also, Diamond to Platina.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Yes, Sapphire