A Terrible Vengeance
"For there is no worse punishment to Man, then to want to avenge and not being able to."
A very, very scary short story by Nikolai Gogol.
This page needs a better description. You can help this wiki by expanding or clarifying the information given.
- A Fate Worse Than Death: Several:
- The Warlock , already dead, is gnawn at by his ancestors until the end of time.
- His ancestors are tormented by every one of his atrocities in their graves, before they rise as revenants to devour him.
- Petro attempts to rise, but cannot, and gnaws on his own bones instead of the Warlock's; he also grows beneath the Carpathians, and shakes the earth itself in his agony.
- And, last but not least, Ivan is forced to watch the terrible vengeance he inflicted on his brother.
- Black Magic
- Eats Babies: Kills them, actually. Own toddler nephew/grandson, even.
- Evil Sorcerer
- Evil Makes You Ugly: In case of Glamour Failure, that is.
- Just-So Story: And that's why we have earthquakes.
- Our Zombies Are Different: The revenants.
- Rule of Scary: The reason a land-spanning undead corpse isn't ridiculous.
- Serial Escalation: Ok, there's no way it can get more vile/scary...Wait, it just did.
- You Can't Fight Fate