A Visit From the Goon Squad
Time's a goon, right? Isn't that the expression?
A Visit From the Goon Squad is a bestselling 2010 novel by Jennifer Egan, about an aging former punk-rock star named Bennie and his kleptomaniac assistant, Sasha. Each chapter is told from a different viewpoint, revealing the past and future of Bennie and Sasha as well as the various people in their lives, nearly all of whom work in the music industry.
- Anachronic Order: The narrative of the novel is completely scattered, and the chapters jump around in time.
- Ate His Gun: Rolf.
- Bungled Suicide: Bosco wants to kill himself on his Suicide Tour, but ends up surviving and running a dairy farm.
- Green Eyed Red Head: Sasha.
- Hello, Nurse!: Nearly every male character lusts after Sasha at some point.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Almost everybody, in the later chapters.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bennie.
- Painting the Medium: One chapter is presented as a Power Point, another as a footnote-ridden article in a magazine.
- Sticky Fingers: Sasha is a kleptomaniac.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Rolf, and the girl who narrates the Power Point chapter.