After the success of the first Rugrats film, Klasky-Csupo considered creating one for another of its series, along with Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies: Aaahh!!! Real Monsters. Sadly, it was never completed.
Instead, this is the work of one student, who goes by the handle "C. 'Sparky' Read" and who wrote several scenes as part of his work for an animation writing class. As time went on, more scenes were added, with exposition added to fill in any gaps before placing the whole thing online for fans to enjoy.
The basic plot is simple: the monsters have a major city of their own located directly beneath the human world, built inside the sewer system. When a human architect designs a new system intended to entirely replace the old one, their entire society is threatened, and it falls to Ickis, Oblina and Krumm to try and thwart the humans' plan before The Masquerade is completely shattered.
Notably, instead of following the traditional animation of the series, it follows the conceit that the whole thing is a Live Action Adaptation with CGI monsters. Tia and Tamara Mowrey also have major roles, due to the script being written during Sister, Sister's heyday. The result is an interesting take on a Big Damn Movie for the series.
Anyone interested can find the script here.
- Beneath the Earth: Monster society; part of Snyder's pitch for his new sewer system is that it would take up less space, allowing the human city to expand underground.
- Big Bad: Aaron Snyder, the designer of the new sewer system who has a worrying amount of knowledge about monsters...
- Big Damn Movie
- By the Lights of Their Eyes
- Chekhov's Skill: Early on, Exposa mentions she once studied to become an architect before switching career paths. This lets her realize that Snyder's design is poorly drafted and terribly unsafe.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Parodied with Simon the Monster Hunter's appearance on Ricki Lake, where she acts like he has all sorts of crazy causes and theories other than his actual one.
- Insult Backfire: A Running Gag, such as when The Gromble meets the twins:
Gromble: What are you doing with these humans?
- Intrepid Reporter: Exposa, Shiela and Samantha. While also a reporter, Sandy Candy is more concerned with appearance and letting others do the hard work for her.
- Live Action Adaptation
- The Load: The Gromble accuses Krumm of being this, claiming that he leeches off of Oblina and Ickis's scaring abilities while he just stands around and stinks.
- The Rival: Sandy Candy, a popular reporter who likes to rub her success in Exposa's face.
- Roger Rabbit Effect
- Stunt Casting: Tia and Tamara as Sheila and Samantha Kruntz, along with Kelsey Grammer as Aaron Snyder and Ricki Lake As Herself.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: During The Gromble's absence, Zimbo takes over and immediately starts abusing his power.
- Worst News Judgement Ever: The twins get called out on this by Exposa when they don't show up at a big press conference because they were busy interviewing a woman with a thirty-five year old cat.