Absurd Altitude/Playing With
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Basic Trope: A character has ascended to a height far above where any normal person would go.
- Straight: Alice is flung into the air and goes into Earth's orbit. she can see the planet Earth as a globe. She can see the clouds and an artificial satellite is flying along beside her.
- Exaggerated: Alice is flung into space, so that the Earth is just a tiny speck along with the sun and all the other planets. She can almost touch Pluto.
- Justified: Alice is in a space craft.
- Inverted: Alice is so deep below the Earth's surface, she is in the core.
- Subverted: Alice looks below her to see Earth from a distance. She can see all the continents from where she is. But it turns out, it's just the carpeting.
- Double Subverted: She then walks towards the window and looks out to see the actual planet Earth as a speck in the distance.
- Alice is flung into space, where she dies of suffocation.
- Or she falls back into the atmosphere and is incinerated in reentry.
- Reconstructed: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice is never more than a foot off the ground.
- Enforced: "We need a scene where Alice can see the earth from space as she dies."
- Lampshaded: "I can see my house from here. And Africa!"
- Invoked: Alice blasts herself into space from a cannon just for the view.
- Defied: Alice anchors herself to the ground.
- Discussed: "The view of the Earth was lovely from outer space, but I'm never doing that again."
- Conversed: "How do the characters survive being thrown so high? Any real person would die if they were that high in the air."
Back to Absurd Altitude