Absurdly Sharp Blade/Playing With
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Basic Trope: A character wields a bladed object sharp enough to cut through seemingly anything.
- Straight: Bob has a sword capable of slicing a tree in two.
- Exaggerated: Bob's sword can, if plunged into the earth, break all the way through to the other side.
- Downplayed: Bob's sword is much sharper than most other characters' swords, but dos not have unrealistic cutting capabilities.
- Justified: Of course the sword can cut through anything. It was a gift from God himself.
- Inverted: Bob's sword is so dull that it functions more like a club than any type of blade.
- Subverted: Bob's sword looks incredibly sharp, but the blade can be shattered if it swung at so much as a paper bag...
- Doubly Subverted:
- ... but then he realizes he's been holding it wrong, and is capable of cleaving through several hard objects in a row.
- or, his blade still breaks, and the blade pieces proceed to cut through everything.
- Bob's sword has a blade that can't cut through anything. The hilt, however...
- Bob's katana can cut through anything... but he's a chef and only uses it to cut meat.
- Bob's blade is so sharp it cuts through his sword.
- Bob's blade is so sharp that merely touching it causes him to be sliced into tiny pieces.
- Bob can't find a scabbard that can hold the dam thing... It keeps slicing through them.
- Bob accidentally cuts through not only what he wants, but injures a good friend because his sword is so damn sharp.
- Alternatively, the sword is that sharp, but Bob finds it impossible to maintain the edge, and so rarely if he ever actually uses it or even removes it from the scabbard- and when it does get used, it's so badly maintained that the legendary edge has been lost.
- Bob cannot use his sword because the blade cuts through the handle.
- Reconstruction: Bob invents a new combat style based around stupidly sharp swords, made to defeat foes before the blade is damaged.
- Zig Zagged: Bob's old sword has the same properties of another sword, but then is retempered several times it so become durable and sharp enough to cleave through anything. Unfortunately, this has left it severely brittle and prone to breaking. His solution? Reforge the sword and start over again.
- Averted: Bob's sword is just a normal sword.
- Enforced: "Bob needs to show off how awesome his sword is by slicing tanks in half with it"
- "I didn't know they made blades that sharp."
- "How the hell can that sword cut through a tree, anyways?"
- Bob has a fascination with sharp blades, and so, uses his spare time to find durable objects and turn them into blades as sharp as possible.
- Alternatively, any time that Bob doesn't spend fighting, he spends sharpening his sword.
- Defied: Bob is terrified at the thought of his blade being sharp enough to kill him if he so much as makes one blunder during a fight, so he starts slicing apart and whacking as many boulders as he can find in order to make it have more of a normal sharpness.
- Discussed: "I'm going to try to cut straight through this tree just like they do in movies."
- Conversed: "Why do these movie people always have swords cutting through things they shouldn't be able to cut?"
- Played For Laughs: After every fight that Bob fights in, the scenery falls apart due to him inadvertently cutting it to shreds while in combat thanks to the sharpness of his blade.
And to your left, you will find an Absurdly Sharp Blade. (Management is not responsible for bloodstains or loss of limbs.)