Ah! My Goddess/Characters
- 1 Main Characters
- 2 Heaven
- 3 Hell/Niflheim
- 4 Nekomi
A student of the Nekomi Institute of Technology and a member of the NIT Motor Club. One day Keiichi accidentally dials the Goddess Relief Office. After summoning Belldandy by accident, he ends up wishing for her to be by his side forever. Ever since, the two have been together. Keiichi's pure and innocent personality also puts him in the middle of an unusual love relationship. While he understands his love for Belldandy, he sometimes has a difficult time expressing his feelings.
He is a very skilled mechanic and an exceptional race driver. He is bestowed the directorship of the Motor Club, which he subsequently passes on to Sora Hasegawa. At his supposed graduation from college, he started working at the repair shop Whirlwind owned by the founder of the NIT Motor Club: Chihiro Fujimi. He picked up the one class and actually graduated many chapters later.
- Accidental Pervert: Every once in a while, Keiichi becomes one which can be attributed to either pure accident or somebody who pulls the strings in order to make Belldandy jealous and dishearten her enough to leave Keiichi and go back to Heaven. Played for comedy most of the time, as Belldandy trusts Keiichi's loyalty to her.
- Badass Normal: During the Lind arc, Keiichi demonstrated that, thanks to having received love from multiple goddesses, he is one of the few mortals capable of supporting an angel.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Implied, in the TV series. When Mara first showed up and turned Keiichi into a scooter (for kicks) after Belldandy and Urd caught her, they made her give them the demonic password to turn Keiichi back to normal. When Keiichi came back naked... Belldandy blushed bright red, while Urd just looked down and grinned happily. Given Urd's personality, it's likely if Keiichi didn't have one of these, she'd have poked fun at him for it.
- Butt Monkey: Occasionally, usually whenever something created by either Urd or Skuld is involved.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin': Every time Keiichi has naughty thoughts about Belldandy, someone notices and promptly calls him out on it.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Has been living with Belldandy for almost two years now in the manga and still has trouble saying "I love you" to her, despite the fact that the two of them obviously already know it. This continues until the final chapter of the manga, when the other Goddesses say it during Belldandy and Keiichi's wedding.
- Chaste Hero: Has trouble even just saying "I love you" to Belldandy, much to everyone else's chagrin. This is due to Heaven altering Keiichi's mind so that he wouldn't lust after Belldandy to maintain the separation between divine beings and mortals even in the face of the contract that bound Belldandy to him. And Belldandy knew the entire time.
- Chastity Couple: with Belldandy
- Chick Magnet: All the ladies show some interest in him at some point. Exept Chihiro. It's not that kind of series tough.
- Determinator: Able to break out of situations where he shouldn't be able to out of sheer will and love for Belldandy (such as when he was possessed by the Lord of Terror). Also implied in one episode that this is how he's such a good racer - that is due to the training he puts himself through.
- Fun with Acronyms: Gives himself the nickname of K-1 (Kei-ichi)
- Genre Savvy: Knows enough from his experiences with the goddesses to qualify.
Keiichi: So, after this, there are terrifying assassins? And if we don't defeat them one by one, we can't collect the keys?
Eihwaz: How did you just say everything?
Keiichi: That's absurd! I never thought it would be that clichéd.
- Informed Ability: Speaks (or at least can understand) German, since he supposedly takes it as his foreign language class in school.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Happens to him a lot, either accidentally, or if another woman tries to actively pursue him. Fortunately he only has eyes for Belldandy.
- Nice Guy: If Keiichi wasn't one of these, there'd be no story in the first place. And many girls adore this genuinely Nice Guy, too.
- Only Sane Man
- Understanding Boyfriend: he has somewhat gotten used to the many complications that comes packaged with living with Belldandy and her two sisters.
- Unlucky Everydude: Keiichi started out as this, before eventually being developed into more of a Nice Guy.
- It would be difficult not to become nicer under the constant scrutiny of a divine being.
- Weirdness Magnet: Comes part and parcel with having 3 goddesses living with you.
Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue (JP), Akemi Okamura (JP - Mini-Goddess eps 1-13), Yumi Touma (JP - Young Belldandy in OVA), Mio Shionoiri (JP - Young Belldandy in movie), Juliet Cesario (EN - OVA), Bridget Hoffman (EN - Movie, Mini-Goddess), Chloe Thornton (EN - Young Belldandy in Movie), Eileen Stevens (EN - TV)
A goddess who ends up contractually bound to Keiichi Morisato after he accidentally dials the Goddess Relief Office. Ever since, Belldandy dwells with Keiichi at the Tariki Hongan Temple in the city of Nekomi, Chiba Prefecture near Tokyo. She can cancel the contract at anytime, but she states Keiichi is a special person in her heart, and that her purpose is to make him happy.
Belldandy is kind, patient, and warm, not only to Keiichi, but to everyone, without exception. She can easily sense other people's emotions, and tries her best to be empathetic to all those around her. However, even though Belldandy tries her best to be as kind as possible, it is revealed that at times, as a result of latent jealousy, she can become very insecure and sad, especially when she is confronted with an implication that involves Keiichi in one way or another. This can sometimes result in power leaks that affect everything within the vicinity, referred to as "jealousy storm" in the anime.
Belldandy is licensed as a goddess first-class, unlimited, and as such is highly skilled. Her power is so great, in fact, that she is required to wear a special earring on her left ear which constantly seals the full brunt of her magical strength. Belldandy's angel is Holy Bell; her elemental attribute is wind. Like all angels, Holy Bell augments Belldandy's magical powers when called upon, and like all angels, she also reflects her master's current state.
- Adorkable: So sincere, naive, and nice that it hurts.
- Apocalypse Maiden: In The Movie. Twice.
- Badass Pacifist
- Beware the Nice Ones: Seems nice enough, unless you threaten Keiichi.
- Don't make her jealous either - if she's in Clingy Jealous Girl mode, she subconsciously causes small explosions and freak weather changes.
- Blow You Away
- Can Not Tell a Lie: One of the restrictions of being a first class goddess.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: except in her case, "liquor" happens to be cola.
- Drunk on Milk: See the above entry on Can't Hold Her Liquor.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Hair Antennae
- Informed Ability: In addition to being a goddess, she also happens to be an engineering student at Nekomi Tech, although we hardly ever see her work with machines. Probably due to the fact that between Skuld, Megumi and Chihiro the series already has three wrench wenches, not to mention Keiichi himself.
- That said, during one emergency, she was able to upgrade Chihiro's small bike and turn it into a full blown superbike using parts from nearby crashed or junked vehicles, while riding it.
- Insecure Love Interest: Despite being a goddess, she often asks Keiichi if she's good enough to be with him, usually if she suspects another woman is getting too friendly with him. And he constantly reminds her that she is. In chapter 285 this is revealed to be partly because Belldandy was aware of Heaven's manipulation of Keiichi's mind when the contract was first made.
- Love You and Everybody: comes part and parcel with being a first class goddess. She is however willing to make an exception for Keiichi in that she will always choose him over everyone else.
- Magical Girlfriend: The poster girl of the trope.
- The Messiah
- Never Gets Drunk: At least, not when drinking alcohol. As mentioned above, keep her away from the soda.
- Nice Girl
- The Other Darrin: When Kikuko Inoue was on maternity leave, Akemi Okamura briefly took over during the first episodes of the "Mini Goddesses" series. Doubles as Playing Against Type since Okamura's speciality is playing Action Girls and Plucky Girls.
- Physical Goddess: natch.
- Power Limiter: Her earrings
- Plucky Girl
- The Pollyanna
- Single-Target Sexuality: Towards Keiichi.
- Spell My Name with an "S": It should be Verdandi...
- Spy Catsuit: Her riding leathers for when she's racing, all of which have some form of heart motif.
- The Three Faces of Eve: The Mother.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
- Yandere: Subverted, Played with, and deconstructed. She's really kind, compassionate and warm, but very possessive of Keiichi. She won't say or do anything... but just be prepared for magical feedback that can cause anything from minor explosions to freak weather changes, caused by her subconscious. She will only act if you straightforwardly make a move on Keiichi or try harming her... and HOLY SHIT she will act on it.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Class A in the OVA while wearing her race queen/pit girl outfit.
Belldandy's older half sister and is the second Goddess to appear to Keiichi. Urd ranks as Goddess second class, management category limited license, similar to her youngest sister Skuld. She is the Yggdrasil System Administrator and Manager. Though she is much more powerful than her sisters, she has not become a first class goddess, most recently because she chose not to become a first class goddess so that she could continue to protect her sisters. Urd shares a common father with her younger sisters, but has a different mother, the Demon Lord Hild. Because of this, Urd is a hybrid of Goddess and Demon, reflected in the half-white, half-black appearance of her Angel, World of Elegance.
Urd fancies herself a Goddess of Love, so she comes to Earth to spur Keiichi onward with love potions and well-meaning, but deceitful advice, but as punishment for deserting her post and for using her powers on Earth without authorization, The Almighty banishes her from Heaven until further notice. After being allowed to go back, she decides to stay on Earth instead.
- Absolute Cleavage: A feature of most of her wardrobe.
- The Alcoholic: Justified, alcohol is her main source of energy on Earth.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Big Breasts, Big Deal: Type IV, she's VERY proud of her large chest.
- Broken Bird: Due to her heritage. See Halfbreed, though.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Cannot express any feelings of affection for her mother, in case her soul gets charmed by the devils.
- Can Not Tell a Lie: Averted! Part of the reason Urd refuses to become a first class goddess is that she believes that it's important that she retains the ability to tell a lie to protect those she loves.
- Notably, she has such a reputation for lying that even Belldandy can see through her.
- Cool Big Sis
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Death Glare: One of the things she get's from her mom.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Good Bad Girl
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Her default outfit.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Can at the very least, say "love" multiple foreign languages.
- Halfbreed: Is half-demon on her mother's side. Subverted in that there doesn't seem to be any prejudice on either side and most of the angst comes from Urd herself coming to terms with her demon ancestry.
- Immortal Immaturity: Can be just as bratty as Skuld.
- Inept Mage: Despite being more powerful than Belldandy, she has little control over her powers.
- Love Goddess: Or so she fancies herself to be. All of her attempts at planning this result in trouble for whoever she tries helping, usually Keichi.
- Only Sane Woman: Surprisingly gets moments of this every now and then.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Pretty Freeloaders: along with her younger sister Skuld.
- Purple Eyes
- Shipper on Deck: Actively ships Keiichi/Belldandy. Also ships Skuld/Sentaro to some extent.
- Shock and Awe: Her preferred method of "punishing" Sayoko and Toshiyuki when they go too far in their bitchery and assholishness respectively.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- The Tease
- The Three Faces of Eve: the Seductress
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With her youngest sister Skuld. Used to be this with Marller.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
The younger sister of Belldandy, and is the third Goddess to appear to Keiichi Morisato. Skuld has a Goddess second class, type one, limited license, a category similar to her eldest sister, Urd. Skuld is one of Yggdrasil's system debuggers. She compensates for her lack of magic power with her innate talent for invention, which is known throughout Heaven. Skuld is an engineering genius, capable of building just about anything out of the most mundane parts under most limited resources. She can compute equations and redesign even the most complex engineering blueprints in no time.
She travels to Earth after Belldandy's proximity to Keiichi started creating an increasing number of bugs in Heaven's supercomputer Yggdrasil. At least that was her official excuse, as she believed Belldandy was living with Keiichi against her will. She tried to convince Belldandy to return to Heaven to resolve the bug problem and at the same time with the ulterior motive of alleviating her loneliness. After realizing that Belldandy's relationship with Keiichi was not going to end any time soon, Skuld decides to stay on Earth and act as Belldandy's unofficial chaperon.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: in a sisterly manner towards Belldandy.
- Cute Bruiser: by default since she couldn't use her magic until she fell for Sentaro and it started to develop.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Little Miss Badass
- Pretty Freeloaders: along with her eldest sister Urd.
- Puberty Superpower: Starts developing her powers as soon as she learns to love - in other words start maturing and learning to feel for the opposite gender.
- Reality Warper: Give her a pile of junk and she makes a Humongous Mecha out of it in seconds.
- She's All Grown Up: For one episode. She was more then a match for Belldandy while it lasted.
- And while she was at it, she began to develop feelings for Keiichi.
- Sweet Tooth: Especially ice cream since it's her main energy source.
- The Three Faces of Eve: the Child.
- Tim Taylor Technology: Most of her inventions.
- Tsundere: Towards Sentaro in the manga and in Flights of Fancy.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With her eldest sister Urd.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Skuld is afraid of ghosts.
- Wrench Wench: Can build amazing devices and even robots out of even the most mundane of spare parts. Later revealed to be a form of magic.
- Yandere: In a sisterly manner towards Belldandy
Voiced by: Rei Sakuma (JP), Juliet Cesario (EN - TV Series), Anne Sherman (EN - Movie)
The fourth goddess of the series (fifth in the TV series), and she enters the story when Keiichi accidentally calls her up one day, much like he did Belldandy, and against Keichi's will (he's Genre Savy enough by the point she appears to know that another goddess living with him isn't going well) stays with him . She is part of the Earth Help Center, and a Goddess First-class, Second Category, Unlimited. For a time, Peorth harbored a deep resentment towards Belldandy because Belldandy had reported the removal of a bug in Yggdrasil as a team effort. Believing Belldandy was pitying her, she held a grudge. During her stay she continually tried to seduce Keiichi in order to seem more of use to him than Belldandy, though she ultimately falls in love with him. However, after the misunderstanding is cleared up, Peorth remarks that she does not hate Belldandy anymore, and in recent appearances the two seem to be on friendly terms once again. Still, Peorth's incessant flirting with Keiichi puts some strains upon this new relationship.
Her magic is based on the element of Earth, mainly associated with roses, as with her own angel, Gorgeous Rose.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Arguably. In her original introduction in Chapter 66, she even states that she's in charge of fulfilling the carnal/earthly desires and that she's the best at it in her agency.
- There is actually a moment where she's fantasizing about a date with Keichi, and afterwords planning to have sex. Though this did come from her gathering information on dating humans from romance and pornographic mangas.
- Meido: Makes anyone who's working under her for special missions wear maid outfits.
- Love Goddess: Occasionally tries to play this role for Keiichi and Belldandy (see Shipper on Deck below).
- Ms. Fanservice: Her default robes are even more revealing than what Urd wears.
- Lampshaded by Lind in one instance.
- Petal Power: Peorth's Storm of Roses attack in the anime, though in the manga she uses whole roses instead of just the petals.
- The Rival: Considers herself this to Belldandy.
- Shipper on Deck: Eventually ships Keiichi/Belldandy.
- Short Hair with Tail
- The Tease
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: The tone of the series would have been completely different if it had been Peorth picking up the phone in episode one.
- Whip It Good: Involving the thorny vines she is able to summon.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: She attempts she can win Keichi's heart by following the dating methods in romance and porn manga. This might work if she was the series actual love interest. During that time she also assumes that she's in hentai manga.
Voiced by: Miki Itou (JP), Evelyn Lanto (EN)
The fifth Goddess to appear in the series (fourth in the animé). Lind is a Valkyrie, a member of the battle division of Heaven, also known as the Fighting Wings. Like the Goddesses Belldandy and Peorth, Lind carries a First Class License. However, unlike the other two, Lind's license is classified as "Special Duty, Unlimited", which denotes her position as a Valkyrie. Her elemental domain is ice, even though she is able to control fire and lightning beams perfectly.
In an unlikely turn of events, Lind obtained twin angels, Spear Mint and Cool Mint, though at first she could only call upon one of them at a time, causing her to be teased all throughout Heaven and Hell. Frustrated by her 'weakness' and resulting inability to call forth her second Angel, Lind threw herself into Valkyrie training with incredible ferocity. This intense training gained Lind the reputation as a Goddess of extreme violence. Eventually, she is able to call out both her angels by realizing that she lacked a belief in herself and a trust towards others during her fight with the Angel Eater planted inside of her by Hild in an attempt to replace her angels with devils. She has since become more open and smiles often. She has also established close friendships with Keiichi Morisato and Belldandy.
- Action Girl
- An Axe to Grind: Her preferred weapon
- Badass: She can easily smash concrete walls with her bare hands! Granted, it turns out that her halberd is actually supposed to hold her back, notably shown when she fights the Angel Eater; when it takes her halberd, she promptly rips through its legs.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Starts out seemingly cold and impersonal, but eventually warms up.
- When facing a seemingly possessed Belldandy. She tells Keiichi and Skuld to leave every thing to her, despite the fact that she had given her second angel, Cool Mint to Keiichi to allow them to fight the Angel Eater. Granted that she had special booster patches on her uniform that allowed her some extra strength, however using all those up (as she was planning to do) would have meant that she would never be able to fight again afterwards.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears her hair longer on one side than the other, probably ties in to her angels having only one wing each.
- An Ice Person: Her elemental domain is ice.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Pulls this on Hild when the reveals that she has more than one angel.
- Her using a massive axe is simply her way of being polite and giving her opponent a chance. She's actually deadlier without it.
- Inept Mage: It appears as though this goddess doesn't count, but one must be careful to don't ask her to use her magic to repair anything: the results struck even Hell's CEO Hild with horror.
- In-Series Nickname: One Winged Lind, see One Winged Angel below, also has another one. (Twin Angel Lind, a nickname known by only a few).
- Lady of War
- One-Winged Angel: Her angel has literally only one wing. Somewhat played straight in that whenever a goddess has her angel out, it usually means that they're about to use some high level spells, off course it's not totally played straight in that Lind is nowhere close to being the Big Bad or even a villain for that matter.
- Of course, it turns out that the reason for the single wing is that she actually has twin angels with one wing each. In other words, she's a double one winged angel with matching power upgrade, as the epic beatdown she gave the Angel Eater via a meteor kick from outer space will attest to.
- One Goddess Army: Pretty much Lind's job description as one of the strongest Valkyries in Heaven.
- Plucky Girl: One of the few goddesses able to fight even with her angel ( both of them) taken from her, despite the sheer amount of shock from this that usually causes most other goddesses to lose consciousness.
- The first time, when she discovers that the Angel Eater had piggybacked onto her angel Spear Mint. She doesn't hesitate to rip the angel and the Angel Eater out of her.
- Power Limiter: Her axes have this function, lowering Lind's combat potential instead of increasing it. It's implied that this is both for training and to limit collateral damage.
- Tomboyish Sidetail
- When She Smiles: Lind becomes a lot less chilly and intimidating.
- Woman in White
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Also Adaptation Dye Job, in that her hair is a much paler shade of blue in the anime than in the manga.
Chrono, Ere & Ex
Voiced by: Masako Jo (Chrono - JP, TV Series), Yui Horie (Chrono - JP, Movie), Rebecca Soler and Alissa Brodsky (Chrono - EN, TV Series), Tara Sands (Chrono - EN, Movie), Chiemi Chiba (Ere - JP, TV Series), Rumi Kasahara (Ere - JP, Movie), Alissa Brodsky (Ere - EN, TV Series), Elizabeth Cartier (Ere - EN, TV Series), Barbara Goodson (Ere - EN, Movie) Ex Voiced by: Yoko Honna (Ex - JP, TV Series), Akiko Yajima (Ex - JP, Movie), Emily Blau (Ex - EN, TV Series), Karen Neill (Ex - EN, TV Series), Emily Brown (Ex - EN, Movie)
Three goddesses who maintain Yggdrasil. They generally help Peorth and Lind and such by giving relevant exposition, or lines to increase dramatic tension. They also serve as people for Peorth or Lind to give orders to, allowing the commanding character to verbally direct the conflict, and to explain the dangerous nature of certain actions.
Urd's former boyfriends, broke up with her to pursue his dream of taming the golden nightingale.
The Lord of Heaven. As Lord of Heaven, all goddesses ultimately answer to Him and He is responsible for maintaining reality, time, and probability as we know it. His attitude and personality is very commanding, but he is very polite and forgiving; He has forgiven the Norns for disobeying His orders multiple times (as is suggested by Keiichi in the manga). The Almighty One is very blunt and straight-forward. He does not understand how humans act and communicate; possibly because He has not been to Earth in a long time. Throughout the manga and anime he is an unseen character as viewers never see his face, which is usually shrouded in shadow, turned away, or simply too close-up; all that can be discerned is that the Almighty One is tall and well-built, with long black hair. He also has many seals on His hands, neck and on his ears (this could probably be a clue as concerns the fact he may be the divinity in doublet with Hild, as also we can imagine listening to her discussing on the Double System). It is believed by some people that the Almighty is the father of the three Norns. During the Trouble with Doublets saga (in the Dark Horse Comics translation of the manga), Belldandy answers the phone and tells her sisters "It's the Almighty." After Urd loses odds and evens against Skuld, she answers with "Oh goodness, Daddy?! It's been ages!" However, it should be noted that in the original Japanese version, Kami-sama is not referred to in this way. It is very likely that it is a translation error, as is the case with the OVA dub script, where Kami-sama is referred to as the Norns' father as well. In the subtitles for the OVA he is referred to simply as "lord" in the places where the dub uses "father".
Voiced by: Hiroshi Yanaka (JP), Steve Blum (EN)
A high ranked angel as well as Belldandy's first love and her mentor.
- Broken Pedestal: Poor, poor Belldandy. She crossed the Despair Event Horizon after he was defeated and sealed away, and only being given amnesia could fix her.
- Canon Foreigner: Only appears in The Movie
- Evil Mentor: To Belldandy, he was an Anti Villainous Mentor.
- Grand Theft Me: On Keiichi!
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Inflicts this on Belldandy as a part of his Xanatos Gambit
- Love Redeems: As Celestin possesses Keiichi's body, he manages to feel and witness the love between Keiichi and Belldandy, which helps him change his mind...
- Man in White
- Rage Against the Heavens: He was deeply frustrated with Heavens's methods, thinking they weren't enough to make people happy. Then he tried to destroy the Gate of Judgement, and It Got Worse.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Morgan Le Fay
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (JP), Lia Sargent (EN)
A beautiful fairy and Celestine's messenger.
- Broken Bird: Lost her loved one when they couldn't go through the Gate of Judgement, which embittered her deeply.
- Canon Foreigner: Only exists in The Movie.
- Dark Magical Girl: Perhaps the best example in the whole franchise, as she isn't downright evil but very, very troubled.
- Forceful Kiss: On Keiichi.
- Netorare Genre: Her attempts to come on Keiichi to drive a wedge between him and Belldandy look a LOT like this. Subverted in that it wasn't to steal Keiichi away, but to make Belldandy emotionally vulnerable enough to have Celestin turn her into his Apocalypse Maiden.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Voiced by: Urara Takano (JP), Alissa Brodsky (EN - TV Series), Mari Devon (EN - Mini-Goddess)
Was once the childhood friend of the goddesses who are the main characters, even though she is a demoness. Urd and Mara used to be very good friends, but got separated when Urd chose to be a goddess. Her actual duty is to increase the market share of the demons on earth, though she decides that removing the goddesses will make it one hundred percent. Like her Buddhist namesake, she is generally regarded only as a nuisance; extremely inept, generally failing due her sheer incompetence, and on some rare occasions because she actually helps the goddesses.
- Bifauxnen: Was originally drawn to be pretty sexless in the manga, even once claimed to be Belldandy's fiancé, before being eventually outed as female.
- Blondes Are Evil
- Boobs of Steel: Despite (or perhaps because of) her constant failures, Mara demonstrates an unrivaled ability to take physical punishment in stride, and until Thrymr's appearance, was the most physically-active of the demons. Accordingly, when reappearing after the Lord of Terror arc, she's shown to be very well endowed.
- Evil Laugh: A very convincing one, which is kinda ironic considering how poor her actuall skills are.
- Goldfish Poop Gang: Given the number of times she gets easily discarded by the Goddesses, she does qualify.
- Harmless Villainess: She is too goofy to be taken as a serious threat.
- Manipulative Bitch: Invoked many times. She tries to be this but she's hardly ever successful.
- Pretty Freeloader: Becomes this occasionally.
- Punch Clock Villain
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Rock Me, Asmodeus: Inverted, Mara can't help dance until she drops whenever she hears rock 'n roll.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Used to be this with Urd, before the latter went to Heaven to become a goddess.
- Woman in Black: Not a very straight example though, given her comical nature and her antics.
- Zany Scheme: ALL THE TIME!! And they all fail.
Voiced by: Gara Takashima (JP), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (EN)
Is the ultimate Demon who is the opposite to The Almighty, known as the Ruler of Demonkind. She is incredibly powerful, with her power dwarfing even the combined strength of the three goddesses. Despite her immense power, she respects the doublet system, and thus limits her power to prevent killing any of the Goddesses. She is Urd's mother, whom she loves deeply, though Urd does not return the feeling (it is revealed that doing so would mean that Urd would acknowledge and thus be taken over by her demonic side). Hild displays a similar witty personality to Urd, though she is far more mean-spirited, and a fondness for dressing in revealing outfits. Hild dislikes Belldandy, because Belldandy's attitude and love for humanity reminds her of Belldandy and Skuld's father and the relationship they once had. Because of this, she has often tried to corrupt or hurt Belldandy several times throughout the series. She also seems to have some feelings for Keiichi Morisato.
She appears a few times before leaving an avatar child version of herself, who would go on to become a regular antagonist for the goddesses, as well as a direct supervisor for Marller. While this avatar possesses only one thousandth of the true Hild's power, it is still enough to make the avatar a powerful enemy for anyone. Despite this, as well as being generally more compentent then Maller, she often proved just an inept. In the manga, a small team of demons sealed her main body and attacked her avatar in the human world.
- Affably Evil: Despite being Satan she not too bad, especially compared to other demons she keeps in check. So far whenever helping the main characters she's refrained from every double-crossing them despite her rather mean-spirited temperament.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Four-Star Badass
- Dark-Skinned Blond: One of the clues that she's Urd's mother.
- Death Glare: Only Belldandies smile can counter it.
- Horny Devil: Some shades of it since she'll flirt with most anything.
- Hot as Hell: Her picture used to be on the trope page.
- Hot Shounen Mom: Urd's mom has got it going on ~
- Ms. Fanservice.
- Not So Different: She act times acts exactly like Urd.
- Purple Eyes
- Running Gag: Hild likes to kiss people out of the blue. Keiichi, Lind and Hagall have all been cought of guard by her. And they all freaked out.
- Satan: Pretty much since she's the ruler of all demons.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
A demon, who is in a doublet, a link of fate established to preserve the balance between Heaven and Hell, with Belldandy. The doublets normally forget each other, but Welsper cursed himself to remain in child form in exchange for remembering his encounter with Belldandy. The curse could only be broken if Belldandy speaks his name. It turned out that his body could not handle his growing power, so he worked to break the curse by stopping time. After installing a virus in Yggdrasil, he ends up having the curse broken, and returns to the demon realm. However, because Welsper hacked into Yggdrasil, he was punished afterwards by being reincarnated into a kitten. He is the only demon who shows a tsukaima (demon servant), having it obtained by Keiichi after neither him nor Belldandy could handle the burden of bringing the creature which almost transformed her into a demon because of Hild. His black fur becomes white spotted, but he returns normal after naming his tsukaima as "Die Wespe der Blauen Lanze" ("The Wasp of the Blue Lance" in German).
- Cats Are Mean: Tends to fall into this once he gets turned into a cat, then again, he/she is a demon after all.
- Gender Bender: Was reincarnated as a female cat.
- Gratuitous German: How he names his familiar.
- Older Than They Look: Turned himself into a kid permanently so as not to forget Belldandy, who he was in doublet with.
- Punch Clock Villain: More like he didn't punch in at all once "she" got reincarnated.
Voiced by: Norio Wakamoto (JP), Kevin T. Collins (EN)
Mara's assistant and self proclaimed god of misofortune and poverty. A pint sized terror with a penchant for theatrics and dropping english when he speaks. Originally summoned from a Ramune bottle.
The Lord of Terror
A virus that runs on Yggdrasil. It is divided into two parts—the will of the Lord of Terror, and the "Ultimate Destruction Program", Fenrir. It wants to destroy the world and create a world for demons in its place (this happens only in the anime, while in the manga we can see that his intent is to destroy the entire universe in order to create a new, violent one; this is the reason why Keiichi, possessed by the program, wants Skuld to build a 10 dimensional scythe for cutting the 10 dimensional string of the universe, which permit its existence). The heir to the Lord of Terror was Urd, because of her mixed ancestry. Basically, the Great Lord's will influenced Urd and eventually sealed her will away. It then utilized the urn Mao Za Haxon, which contained the Ultimate Destruction Program's bootup. After it had possessed Keiichi, Belldandy told it to transfer to her but it could not possess her, as the base wavelength was different, and was quickly forced to transfer itself to a floppy disk and was then erased by Skuld with a magnet.
The second most powerful demon in Hell, who takes the control of Niflheim—The Hell—in a rebellion against Hild, because she thinks Hild has lost the power and glory of the demon world. Through an elaborated plan to get more share of wishes on Earth and to destroy everything related to the Goddesses, she imprisons Hild and sends her servants to attack Chibi-Hild on Earth, however she manages to escape and goes with Belldandy to ask for help (the story is currently being developed in the manga—chapters 240 till 262). Hagall usually talks about herself in third person and her powers include mental control and hypnotism. Besides, she is a very selfish and ambitious demon who does not consider the energetic balance between Heaven and Hell (brought by human contracts).
- Big Bad: of the current arc of the manga.
- Big No: An internal one when Hild takes over Hagall's body.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: That little amulet smelled a bit too much like Hild, so she quickly disposed of it. Of course, it still wasn't DGS enough.
- The Dragon: was supposed to be this to Hild, until she rebelled.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She's a snappy dresser allright!
- Kick the Dog: Holy Bell!!
- She's Got Legs
- Showgirl Skirt
- The Starscream: A successful on at that, seeing as when we're introduced to her, she's already taken over hell.
- Third Person Person
- Undying Loyalty: Her true motive for "usurping" Hild. She's trying to save Hild from the clause in demonic law that requires the ruler of Hel to die when her term expires. Being usurped doesn't count as "expiring".
A powerful demon who serves Hagall in a rebellion against Hild. Her name has the 'rune of sound' "Þ" (Thurisaz, Thorn or Thurs). Her main power is an ability "to see sounds" and combat in complete darkness. She battled against Keiichi and Belldandy in chapter 251 to 255 of the manga. In chapter 255, Halval lost the fight through a plan of Keiichi Morisato: he was influenced by the kiss of Chibi-Hild who transferred some of her knowledge to him before she went back to Niflheim.
- Super Senses: Her main power is the ability to "see" sounds.
Thrymr is a demon that serves Hagall in the rebellion, that specializes in physical strength. She is a strong and muscular woman, with short hair. She challenges Belldandy and co. and blocks their passage through Niffelheim from chapters 257 to 261. Her strength is so immense she's able to deflect sound-waves by punching in the air. After the battle she becomes friendly with the group after healing Keiichi's wounds and later wonders if anybody worthy of her strength will challenge her again.
- Action Girl
- Affably Evil: Is overall very friendly, though is at the same time remorseless about any harm she inflicts on others even they can't fight back.
- Bifauxnen: If she didn't have such prominent cleavage Thrymr wouldn't look female at all.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Becomes friendly with the Keiichi and the goddesses once they beat her.
- Megaton Punch: Anything she punches breaks. Even songs.
Hrungnir (also translated as Mokkurkalfi) is also a demon that serves Hagall. She wears a mask and a helmet somewhat resembling an old German WWI uniform. She is a "puppeteer" in that she's able to create and control robots and machines, similar to Skuld. Unlike Skuld, she views her creations as tools rather than with affection. Unsurprisingly, when Keiichi and company confront her, due to disabling magic in the room she ends up fighting Skuld.
- Evil Counterpart: To Skuld,to an extend.
- Wrench Wench
- Wrong Genre Savvy: No, wearing a silly red outfit will not make you go faster.
A demon that looks like a five year old girl and seems pretty harmless. She's actually Hrungnir's older sister and Hagall's second in command.
- Cute and Psycho: A cute little girl with a love for karaoke. But she has a really bad attitude waiting to pop out.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain
- Older Than They Look
- Paper Fan of Doom: Whacks Hrungnir with it. "Who are you calling ill-tempered?!"
- Sadistic Choice: Almost forces Keiichi to kill her to save Belldandy from fading into nothingness.
Voiced by: Yuriko Fuchizaki (JP), Emily Blau (EN - TV Series), Amanda Spivey (EN - OVA), Stephanie Greene (EN - Movie)
Keiichi Morisato's younger sister. She attends the Nekomi Institute of Technology (NIT), like Keiichi, as an engineering student. Megumi is also a very skilled mechanic and motorcycle driver, and is on the varsity softball team. She goes on to become the "queen" of bike racers around Nekomi. Belldandy has remarked that she sees a similarity between Megumi and Skuld, and that she would like to see Skuld learn some things from Megumi. As we know from the recent developments in the manga, she has a lot of success with boys, but she is not lucky in love because all of her boyfriends feel eclipsed by her motor-queen status. The Dark Horse translation suggests there's also a bit of Big Brother Worship verging on Big Brother Attraction, as she's shown telling one boy, "You'll never hold a candle to Keiichi."
- Biker Babe
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Every guy she dates breaks up with her because they can't handle the pressure going out with the racing Queen of Nekomi.
- Wrench Wench
Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita (JP), Marc Diraison (EN - TV Series), Scott Bailey (EN - OVA)
A playboy around the Nekomi Institute of Technology campus and Sayoko's cousin. He is enamoured of Belldandy and tries often to steal her away from Keiichi, going as far as to set up a rival motor club. However, in just about all of his attempts, he fails miserably. In the TV series, he and his cousin Sayoko can be identified by the supercars that they drive, in Aoshima's case, an Enzo Ferrari (Ferrari 288 GTO in the manga).
- Attempted Rape: Almost has his way with both Belldandy and Skuld but got Jossed in extremis.
- Asshole Victim: Pretty much brings misfortune on himself because he's an asshole.
- Break the Haughty: Thinks extremely highly of himself and Karma's a bitch.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Pet the Dog: He finally showed a bit of concern when he found Sora in pain. And promptly got knocked out by her rapidly expanding boobs!
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: Has shades of this, especially when he turns on the "rapist" mode.
Voiced by: Junko Asami (JP - OVA), Mamiko Noto (JP - TV), Karen Neill (EN - TV Series), Belinda Bizic (EN - OVA)
A popular girl at Nekomi Tech, to the point where she considers herself the "queen" of the school. She is also quite rich, coming from a wealthy family: she has her own apartment and an expensive car, and gets to throw lavish parties with very important people.
When Belldandy appears, all the guys' attention turns to her rather than Sayoko. Mishima begins to get jealous of Belldandy and wants to make her upset by seducing Keiichi, even though Sayoko doesn't have any interest in him. She even goes to the lengths of teaming up with Toshiyuki Aoshima and Marller to bring Bell down. Gradually, as the series progresses, she becomes less and less antagonistic, even offering Keiichi relationship advice and foiling Marller's schemes. It seems as though she develops feelings for Keiichi at the beginning of season 2, when she didn't feel as lonely when he was with her. Sayoko has seen both Urd and Belldandy use their powers, although she now believes that Belldandy is a witch. She is shown to have much pride, and seems to almost enjoy competing with Belldandy at times.
- Bitch Alert: The first time we see her, we can guess she's a bitch.
- Character Development: Starts out as wanting to steal Keiichi simply to beat Belldandy, but later on seems to develop genuine feelings for him.
- Harmless Villain: Doesn't really have that much of a evil streak. Possibly because she does seem to develop genuine feelings for Keiichi.
- Lady Drunk
- Ladykiller in Love: A Gender Inversion.
"Morisato-kun, how can the words and the smile of a pathetic guy like you make a queen like me feel like such a piece of garbage?"
The original founder and director of the Nekomi Institute of Technology Motor Club. She is a resolute person and an incredibly skilled mechanic and motorcycle driver, even more so than Keiichi. She starts up her own motorcycle shop called Whirlwind and hires Keiichi and Belldandy to work for her. Normally a no-nonsense personality, she has a soft spot for cute objects, cats and children and seems to enjoy relaxing activities (such as bathing in an onsen) and having fun. She drives a Krauser Domani SSi. When she was director of the N.I.T. motor club, both Tamiya and Otaki confessed they loved her but she turned them both down rather than cause conflict in the club. Both Tamiya and Otaki respect and fear her very much, obediently following her orders.
- Author Appeal: The cool headed, mature "goddess of mechanics" seems to be the mangaka's personal dream girl. Maybe this is why she is not romantically interested in anyone.
- Badass Normal: Can cow Tamiya and Otaki with a single glance.
- Biker Babe
- Cuteness Proximity: Chihiro is a sucker for anything cute.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Keiichi/Belldandy.
- Wrench Wench: So much so that Keiichi says that she could almost be a goddess of mechanics.
One of the former directors of the Motor Club and Keiichi's sempai. Recognizable by his muscular body and thick lips. Is almost always never seen without his partner Otaki by his side.
Voiced by: Issei Futamata (JP), Sean P. O'Connell (EN - OVA), Daran Norris (EN - Movie), Scottie Ray (EN - TV Series)
One of the former directors of the Motor Club and Keiichi's sempai. Is almost always never seen without his partner Tamiya by his side. Always wears a black biker jacker and spark plugs for earrings.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Both him and Tamiya are a tad eccentric.
- Cosplay: His hobby, also one of the things he shares with Satoko.
- Eighties Hair
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Tamiya.
- In-Series Nickname: Is called "Dai-chan" by Tamiya.
- Theme Naming: Tamiya, Otaki and Hasegawa are all named for Japanese model-making companies.
Keiichi's Kohaii and current director of the Nekomi Motor Cycle Club.
- A-Cup Angst: Much to her chagrin.
- Berserk Button: Don't ever, ever say that she looks like a high-schooler.
- Cool Car: Drives a original Fiat 500.
- Informed Ability: Implied to be a Wrench Wench by virtue of her being in the Nekomi Motor Cycle Club as well as a few comments by the other club members, though we never actually see her working on anything.
- Lethal Chef: Her nickname was the "Chef Murderer," Belldandy eventually helps her get better.
- Actually, her case is an interesting subversion. In the TV series, she was actually a great cook, but suffered a Heroic BSOD whenever asked to cook for an audience, causing her skills to deteriorate. This tied into the plot of the episode, where she had performance-anxiety issues about a go-kart race for NIT's Auto Club. Again, Belldandy, being the kind of "person" she is, helped Sora get (heh) back on track.
- Theme Naming: Fujimi, Tamiya, Otaki and Hasegawa are all named for Japanese model-making companies.
Daughter one of the directors of the Nekomi Institute of Technology where she's a freshman in electronics. She is quite attractive—even Keiichi comments that she is one of the top five most attractive girls at Nekomi Tech. She meets Otaki when her scooter breaks down on campus and Otaki decides to help her despite the insistence of Aoshima that she ride his car instead. They start going out and she eventually gets her father's approval of Otaki.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: One of the things that she shares in common with Otaki.
- Apparently, she gets it from her dad, which unnerves Otaki to no end when he tries to get him to try different outfits.
- Shrinking Violet: Very much shy.