The Default Marines
Lieutenant Colonel Patrick "Stainless" Steele
He's the dude that provides Mission Control, and boy, does he have his own ideas about the mission...
- A Father to His Men: And it shows.
- Military Brat: Runs in the family.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: He's your CO.
Corporal John "Duke" Cameron
He's the one in the middle on the cover art.
- American Football: Used to be a quarterback in high school.
- The Engineer: He started out as a terra-former, but found it to be too dull and enlisted instead.
- Shout-Out: Probably to James Cameron, the director of Aliens.
- Standardized Leader: Of sorts.
Private Buddy "Brando" Whistler
- Good-Looking Privates: Part of the reason why he joined up.
- Fail O'Suckyname: How he looks at being called "Buddy" and "Whistler" at the same time.
- New Meat: The lowest-ranked of all the playable characters. Everyone except Steele keeps hassling him about it.
Lance Corporal Samantha "Homewrecker" Johnston
- Angry Black Woman
- Captain Morgan Pose: Her idle animation in the save rooms. Except, well, she does it standing on her helmet.
- Chest Insignia: A crossed-out heart.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The cause for her attitude.
- Expy: Of Vasquez.
- One Woman Army: How she got her nickname.
Private First Class Brock "Bear" Paulson
The guy on the left of the cover art.
- Badass Bandolier: His grenades have skulls and crossbones on them.
- Big Guy
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Earned his nickname in school because he used to keep the bullies at bay.
- Chest Insignia: The US flag.
- Scholarship Student: His goal for serving in the military.
The Other Marines
Private First Class Angel "Cuchillos" Sinise
- Dead Older Brother: Killed protecting him, no less.
- Knife Nut
- The Atoner: Because of being a ganger as a kid.
- Scary Black Man
Private First Class Deepak "Cowboy" Singh
- All-American Face: His ultimate goal, despite his heritage.
- Put Me in Coach: He tried a LOT of sports before joining the military. All part of his plan for the above.
Private First Class Amber "Buster" Fischer
The third Marine on the cover art.
- Big Brother Instinct: She has three highly protective older brothers. Imagine how her chilhood went.
- Determinator: Joined the USMC to prove she was worth something without her brothers watching out for her.
- Valley Girl: Which makes for interesting comebacks against the Corrupt Corporate Executive.
Corporal John "Booker" Losso
- Consummate Professional: And serious about it.
- Gung-Holier Than Thou: Towards slackers.
- Reverse Arm Fold: His idle animation in the save room, except that he does it facing the screen.
- Serious Business: About warfare and military service.
Sergeant Jay "Gristle" Henick
- Catch Phrase: "Hard as Gristle!"
- Cowboy Cop: Used to be a sheriff.
- Expy: Feels like he was based on Hicks.
- Military Moonshiner: His idle animation in the save room is guzzling from a hip flask.
Private First Class Zoe Anna "Cutter" Kennedy
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Rebel Relaxation: Her idle animation in the save rooms.
- Military Brat: Which led her to becoming a...
- The Runaway: At age 14. Since then she's been a...
- Wandering Minstrel: In a way. Spent seven years as an underground musician before her father's death returned her home.
Lance Corporal Mike "Five-Pack" Coleman
- Chest Insignia: An outline of a heart.
- Determinator: He once was out to prove HE COULD HANDLE EVERYTHING. It broke him.
- Heroic BSOD: Something inside him went wrong during the Linna-349 invasion. Doctors say it's PTSD...
- Noodle Incident: The specific reason for his PTSD is unknown.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: How he got assigned to this mission, his PTSD gets in the way of a normal military career.
Lance Corporal Dave "BBQ" Williams
- Chest Insignia: The US flag. Also, see Shout-Out below.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In everything that isn't about cooking. He turned his bolt-hole into a BBQ house for crissakes!
- Consummate Professional: Towards cooking, which is why he quit being a military cook and became... well, a Marine that's also a cook.
- Real Men Cook: He may no longer be a Cook, but he's still a cook. He regularly cooks for his teammates.
- Shout-Out: To Tom Petty, one of his album names is written on BBQ's armour.
Corporal Frank "Bonesaw" Heston
- Expy: He not only LOOKS like Wolverine...
- Gun Nut: Which is why he became a Weapons Instructor.
- No One Gets Left Behind: He cut off a man's trapped leg with machine gun fire in order to carry him off the battlefield, thus earning himself the name.
Private First Class Mei-Lin "Beta" Chau
- Chest Insignia: A pink power (as in on/off switch) sign.
- Fun with Acronyms: Her battlecry is "Let's GTFO!" Nuff said.
- Geek: Who else would text lost team-mates in the middle of a xenomorph-infested research base? And refuse being rescued because she's not done texting?
- Leet Lingo: She's a Playful Hacker, what did you expect?
- Nerd Glasses
- Playful Hacker: She got into the military because of their promises to show her the world... and get to hack it.
- Shout-Out: Probably to Mei Ling from Metal Gear Solid.
Staff Sergeant Jasper "Iron Sights" Watson
- Old Soldier: He's been serving for 33 years, and he joined at 16 (he lied about his age). Oh boy!
- Sergeant Rock: He's gruff, and he's cranky, but he's a soldier's soldier.
- Younger Than He Looks: He looks like he's pushing seventy. He's 49.
Chief Warrant Officer Friedric "Rook" Marcus
- Cold Sniper: He's a good soldier, he's just... emotionless.
- Creepy Monotone: Only applied to everything he does. EVERYTHING.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Nobody knows it. He just "popped up" one day.
- The Engineer: He builds guns himself. WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS. In the dark. While reciting the 13 General Orders. Or so his squadmates say.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Part of his unnerving not-quite-humanity.
Lance Corporal Hank "Husker" Thompson
Corporal Jeff "Lucky" Palms
- Chest Insignia: Two dice, both rolled to ones. Below them is a caption - "Rated X".
- Cursed with Awesome: He's very lucky, he survives everything the world throws at him. Unfortunately, he's also a...
- Doom Magnet: The people around him, however, tend to suffer from the things he survives. Many die.
- Weirdness Magnet: Improbable and deadly stuff? Yep, it seems to aim straight for him... and then leave him the only survivor.
Private First Class Jimmy "Chiever" Kim
- Cunning Linguist
- Military Brat: It's a popular pastime among Marines, apparently.
- No One Gets Left Behind: You meet him quite early in the game, but he refuses to join because there are Marines in need of saving. He's the last recruitable team member - he spends most of the game ensuring this trope.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: He keeps overachieving in order to impress his father... and keeps failing at it.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He works for Weyland-Yutani, what did you expect?
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": "Generic Company Man" is how he introduces HIMSELF.
- Entitled Bastard: Begs the player to save him from the aliens even after trying to have them killed.
- Hannibal Lecture: "Why do you want to see these things destroyed? Is it really to protect mankind, or is it because you fear that one day they may replace you on the battlefield, soldier?"
- Shut UP, Hannibal: "I'm not a soldier. I am a US Colonial Marine! And you cannot replace that!"