And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online?
A 2013 light novel series.
Hideki Nishimura, aka Rusian online, is a teenager that once confessed to someone he thought it was a girl inside a MMORPG called LA(Legendary Age). The girl didn't accept his confession....Because she was actually a guy, playing using a female avatar. Devastated by the incident, Hideki assumed an sceptic attitude towards anyone who plays as female in online games. Two years later, one of his companions in a guild he's part of in LA reveals about the incident to the other players. The resulting conversation ends up with the guild members deciding to meet with each other in real life.
To Hideki's surprise, Ako, a player with a female avatar that has a crush with him in-game, is....a female in real life!
Written by Shibai Kineko. Illustrated by Hisasi. Published by Dengeki Bunko.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: In-universe, Apricot is frequent user of this in LA, much to the discomfort of Rusian, that thinks of that as a waste of money.
- Catgirl: LA allows this kind of avatar.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Ako is cute and kind of clumsy both in real life and in-game, what don't makes life easy for the other members of the guild when playing.
- GIRL: Hideki was "victim" of one in the past, from a player called Nekohime.
- Love At First Sight: In the guild's first "live-action" meeting, Ako gets very close to Hideki and Hideki's narration mentions a "fuzzy feeling" that he feels when Ako is close to him. Sort of justified because technically Hideki and Ako already met in a game where they were very close, but Hideki tries to dismiss his feelings exactly because they never saw each other before.
- Luminescent Blush: Segawa is described to be blushing when presenting herself to the other members of the guild for the first time offline, probably because she didn't expect to find Hideki, another student of her school that she once insulted for his geeky behaviour.
- Punny Name: Segawa's name in LA is the german word for "pig", schwein.
- Rule of Cool: The reason why Segawa called herself Schwein in LA. it backfires on her when she finally discovers that is the german word for "pig".
- There Are No Girls on the Internet: Hideki has this kind of attitude despite its illogicality after the "Nekohime incident", probably because of it.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Inverted. Hideki freaks out when he discovers that Ako is really, really a girl.