Andraste has tons of characters, some who only appear a few times, so don't be astonished if not everyone is listed.
Elves and Half-Elves
The elves are one of the most widely spread 'species' in Magick and also seemingly the most diverse. They are seen living in Luminous, Latla, and Nymphia. They also have little magic in comparison to some others (the fairies and the unicorns).
Andraste Aura Finnel-Faeri
The main protagonist of the book, Andraste is born being told she is 'Fate's Beloved' and destined to destroy the Abatu Empire. Unfortunately, her prophecy is a government conspiracy, and in reality, there is no higher power promising her anything. Initially arrogant, prejudiced, and condescending, she really only cares about the nation where she grew up, raised by her aunt. Throughout the book, she becomes a softer more compassionate character as she travels and encounters other people and grows to know them.
Elvin of Luminous
Andraste's half-elf, half-siren ambassador from the country of Latla and the son of a very bloodthirsty general. He discovers a powerful dark magic and mostly is just trying to get people to trust him, despite his heritage.
- Bishonen: To the point that another character tells him he'd make a pretty girl.
- Big Screwed-Up Family
- Blessed with Suck: He sees the future, but it's almost always someone being tortured or killed, which he can sometimes stop. Unfortunately, he also can't choose what he sees, so sometimes people will die, and he's just as surprised as everyone else.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Empathic Healer
- Hazel Eyes
- Not a Morning Person
- Overly Long Name: His full birth name is Arcassyle Noveclyde Pulynn Argenaddynn.
- The Archer
- The Cassandra: He tries repeatedly to tell Andraste things, and she practically never believes him.
- The Scapegoat
- Troubled but Cute
Radiance Aedammair of Cnoc-Aine
Andraste's cousin and best friend. She's terribly vain but loyal, adventurous, and willing to help and follow Andraste wherever she goes.
Adair of the Naedan
Haeliae of the Coavantes
Baine of the Trinivites
Xandrina of the Finnel
Auragonius of the Finnel
Elvin's father and elf from Latla. He's well-known for having killed a large number of people in a previous war.
- 0% Approval Rating: Played with. No one likes him because he's well-known for killing many, probably innocent people. However, this might be a case of Unreliable Narrator.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Blood Lust: According to other characters. He never fights in-text for anyone to know.
- Good Is Not Nice
- The Patriarch
Fairies and Sprites
The fairies and sprites primarily live in the country of Luminous. They are powerful magic users and described as being extraordinarily beautiful.
Clare Emerilla Helendaut
The offical record keeper and a light sorceress in Andraste's Court. She joins Andraste looking for adventure and befriends Elvin.
Andraste's aunt and empress of the Abatu Empire.
- Big Bad
- Blood Lust
- Even Evil Has Standards: Or so she claims. Whether or not that's true depends on the reader.
- Fallen Hero: Possibly. It's implied that Sarai only became a vampire (and gaining a tremendous amount of power) because she wanted to save her country from the war she thought was going to destroy it. Needless to say, it backfired.
- Purple Eyes
- The Emperess
- The Vamp
A one-time love interest and best friend of Elvin's. She doesn't help Andraste, per say, but she does protect a part of Luminous from intruders.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Magical Girl
- Shrouded In Mystery: She protects a heavily forested part of Luminous with the help of wild animals and her magic. Her protection has become so legendary that nearby villagers treat her almost like a goddess.
- Speaks Fluent Animal
- Technicolor Eyes: They're pink.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: For her. She can transform others entirely against their will.
- Widow Woman
The unicorns live in Luminous and Firelapsia and are known for bonding with the fairy rulers. They are highly intelligent and very magical. Yes, they are an entire race of talking unicorns.
The aerolens are giant birds that bear some resemblance to other, smaller raptors.
An owl-like aerolen with mist powers. She's the queen of the aerolens.