Angel/Recap/S01/E20 War Zone
While investigating a case of blackmail, Angel butts heads with an anti-vampire street gang.
Our introduction to Charles Gunn.
This Recap page does not have a recap. (This page might or might not have a summary, which is much shorter than a recap.)
You can help this wiki by writing a recap of this work or installment.
Recap pages that do not have recaps are subject to speedy deletion without warning or debate.
- After-Action Patchup: Cordy patches up Angel after his fight with the demon and Gunn's gang.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The vampires throw smoke grenades into Gunn's hideout. He orders the others out into the daylight and prepares to fight, then realises no-one's attacking. As the others rush out into the open coughing and rubbing their eyes, Gas Mask Longcoat vampires grab Aloona and haul her into a van.
- An Aesop: Averted
Angel: "What am I gonna tell you, that you haven't already learned?"
- Arrow Catch: Aloona triggers one of the booby traps; Angel stops it from killing her by catching the arrow -- through his palm. "Ow!" as he puts it.
- Bad Boss: Knox stakes one of his own vampires for letting himself get ambushed.
- The Bait: Aloona for Gunn's ambush, and later for the vampire's ambush.
- Barrier-Busting Blow: Angel ducks under a roller door to get away from the Gunnmobile; he's stopped for a moment on the other side when the wooden spear mounted on the hood smashes through the door, barely missing him.
- BFG: The vehicle-mounted, compressed-air stake-gun.
- Blood Knight: Gunn; until he's forced to stake his own sister.
Gunn: "You think I like this?"
- Booby Trap: Angel gets chased into an Abandoned Warehouse full of them.
- Call Back: One of the demon girls from "She" works at Madam Dorion's.
- Cardboard Boxes
- Ceiling Cling: Spoofed; a vampire is waiting above to ambush Angel, who just steps aside making the vampire crash to the ground in front of him.
- Closeup on Head: Cordy and Wes in the convertible pretending they're at the beach, when they're actually in a trashy back alley.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Knox's speech to his fellow vampires about how the neighbourhood has gone downhill.
- Evil Feels Good: Vampire Aloona's recruitment spiel to her brother.
"We were on the right track - just on the wrong team. All that rage and hatred we got? We get to keep all that, only on this side there is no guilt, no grief - just the hunt and the kill - and the fun! And come on, how often did we go out in the daylight anyway?"
- Fantastic Racism: The demon brothel doesn't take vampire clients.
- Feet First Introduction / You!: Used for a Bait and Switch. We're meant to think the sword-wielding Badass Longcoat is Angel, but it turns out to be Gunn.
Gunn: "You expecting somebody else?"
Lenny: "Look, pal, you obviously not from around here. But trust me; you do not want to see my bad side."
- Gas Mask Longcoat: The vampires uses these to attack Gunn's gang in daylight.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Look ma, no hands!"
- Knox telling Gunn his sister was "so smooth going down... if you know what I mean."
- Gold Digger: Cordelia ponders whether she should 'prostitute' herself to incredibly rich geek James Nabbit, but realises even she can't sink that far.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: Gunn's second-in-command Chain has a flamethrower for the attack on the vampire nest. Unfortunately we don't see it used until the Season 3 episode "Dad".
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Averted by Wesley turning the blackmail photograph instead.
- Horny Devils: Madame Dorion's, the demon brothel in Bel Air. According to Wesley "The Watchers Council is ripe with stories about it." I'll bet.
- Lina appears to be an actual example; even willing to have sex with a vampire, though likely because Angel is hot.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "The guys were joking about getting some tail." Later we get a hint at the interesting uses to which demon prostitute Lina puts her tail.
- Money Fetish: The Fang Gang walk into Nabbit's expensive party.
Cordelia: "Oh, I miss that smell!"
- Not Big Enough for the Two of Us: Angel gives his "L.A. is my turf" speech to the vampire gang. "You might want to stay out of it for the rest of your eternal lives."
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner
Aloona: (vamps out) "Say goodbye to everything you ever knew."
- Roof Hopping: Happens off-screen; a gangmember rushes in to tell Gunn that a vampire (revealed to be Angel) is jumping from roof to roof.
- Staking the Loved One
- Stating the Simple Solution: Angel is trying to break out of the meat locker Gunn locked him in when Wes and Cordy open the door from the outside and ask why he didn't just call for help on his cellphone.
- Storming the Castle: Gunn ignores Angel's warning that the vampires are expecting him and goes to assault their nest. It turns out the vampires have recruitment rather than ambush in mind.
- That Came Out Wrong
Cordy: "I like David. It's such a - strong, masculine name. It just feels - good in your mouth."
- Vampire Invitation: Angel grabs the sentry at Gunn's hideout and forces him to give this.
- Weaponized Car: The pickup truck with massive wooden stakes on the hood and a mounted stake-gun in the back.
- We Have Your Little Sister: The vampire gang grabs Aloona knowing that Gunn's gang will come after them.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Aloona mentions that the vampires have been leaving them alone recently, until Gunn's ambush stirs them up.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Of course, that can apply both ways.
Knox: "Who the hell are you? You know who you're talking to, you fool?"
- Back to Angel