Angel/Recap/S02/E13 Happy Anniversary
"I looked into this guy and I saw...he has no future after ten o'clock tomorrow night. And neither does anybody else."
The Host reads an apparently ordinary grad student and discovers he'll cause The End of the World as We Know It.
This Recap page does not have a recap. (This page might or might not have a summary, which is much shorter than a recap.)
You can help this wiki by writing a recap of this work or installment.
Recap pages that do not have recaps are subject to speedy deletion without warning or debate.
- Absent-Minded Professor: Gene sings in the Host's karaoke bar and apparently doesn't notice it's a demon hangout. Later he sees the new equations left on his whiteboard by the Lubber cult and assumes he thought them up last night.
- Aura Vision: Angel's is beige.
- Big Blackout: No points for guessing what's going to happen when Wes finds the 'right' wire to plug in at their new headquarters.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: The Lubber demons.
- Bait and Switch: It looks like Angel is going to go back to his friends to at least explain his actions. Cue Cordy looking at someone hanging about outside and dragging Wes and Gunn away from their party -- to meet a new client looking for help.
Man: "Which one of you is Angel?"
Wesley: "It's just a name."
- Battle Discretion Shot: Not only did the death of the Wainakay demon happen off-screen, but also a whole string of Noodle Incidents which Wesley references when giving The Summation as to who summoned it.
- Brain Bleach: Angel having to "scrub out the inside of his head" after listening to too much karaoke.
- Buffy-Speak: According to Cordelia, Wesley is "Negative Energy Guy".
- Call Back: To the previous episode when the Power Trio couldn't agree on a name to replace Angel Investigations. The Host also mentions the last two occasions he sent Angel on a mission which didn't work out well ("Guise Will Be Guise" and "The Trial").
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon
Mike: "You know what you are?"
Val: "Yes. I do, Mike. And if you say it I'll put your face in liquid nitrogen."
- Cut the Juice: Angel saves the world at the nth second simply by unplugging Gene's machine.
- Description Cut: "It's pretty clear we're dealing with a criminal mastermind." Cut to nerdy Gene in his lab singing a sappy love song. Angel admits that he made things pretty hard for his former colleagues -- cut to them dancing happily.
- Despair Speech: The Host nudges a reluctant Angel into giving Gene An Aesop.
Angel: "Well, you know...love (lets out his breath) it's a fire."
Gene: "You been there."
Angel: "It burns you. Alive. (Gene frowns at him) Down to the bone. And then it turns the bone to ash..."
Host: "I-I think what my chipper friend is trying to say here, Gene, is the wheel keeps turning."
- And earlier...
Angel: "You want to know what my problem is? I'm screwed. That's my problem. I can't win. I'm trying to atone for a hundred years of unthinkable evil. News flash! I never can! Never going to be enough. Now I got Wolfram and Hart dogging me, it's too much! Two hundred highly intelligent law-school graduates working fulltime driving me crazy. Why the hell is everyone so surprised that it's working? But no, it's 'Angel, why you're so cranky?' 'Angel, you should lighten up. You should smile. You should wear a nice plaid.'"
Host: "Oh. Not this season, honey."
Angel: "Where did you learn how to drive?"
Host: "Just now in your car. Not bad for a beginner, huh?"
Angel: "What? You nearly got us killed -- four times!"
- E=MC Hammer
- Enemy Rising Behind: Angel is talking to the man at the information desk when the man looks over his shoulder and says, "What is that?" Angel just assumes it's the Host, whereupon a Lubber demon hits him In the Back with an axe.
- Eureka Moment: In the historical sense.
Gene: "I did it. Oh, this is a yee-ha moment. I definitely think this is a yee-ha moment!"
Host: "But when he started singing -- man, he knocked me out!"
Angel: "He was good?"
Host: "No, Angel-face, he knocked me out. (shot of the Host collapsing) When I came to he was gone."
- Fantastic Racism: The Lubber cult want to rid the world of the scourge of humanity.
- Flash Back: The Host telling Angel of how he read Gene and saw the end of everything.
- Foreshadowing: The Host working with Angel preempts his role as a future member of the Fang Gang.
- Friend or Foe: The Host hurls a book at the demon attacking Angel and hits him instead.
- Gone Horribly Right: Though in fairness to Gene, his experiment was tampered with by an apocalyptic demon cult.
- I Come in Peace: The Host tries talking to the Lubber demon who was fighting Angel in his own language.
Angel: "What did you say to it?"
Host: "I said we come in peace. I don't think he believed me."
Host: "You went from helping the helpless to hunting down the guilty. Blood vengeance is a luxury of the lesser beings. You're a champion, Angel."
Angel: "Do you know what Gene Rainy was working on?"
Mike: "Ah. Time paradox. Accelerate specific particles out of our continuum into their own excised universe."
Angel: "Come again?"
Host: "Stopping time."
- Love Makes You Accidentally Destroy The World
- Make Me Wanna Shout: When two Lubber demons decide to attack the Host, he sings a high note that makes them cover their ears in pain (cue off-screen Glass-Shattering Sound) then knocks them out.
- Multiple Head Case: A demon sings a duet of "Bye Bye Love", which you can do if you've got a second head in your chest.
- Nerd Glasses
- Newspaper-Thin Disguise: The Host tries hiding behind a book in the school library to avoid being seen.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Angel pulls up at Gene's house and ponders where he might have put his time-stopping machine. Gene simply points out the Lubber demons guarding the entry to the basement.
- The Only One: Angel asks why the Host would come to him for help. He explains that all the other champions he knows are out of town. Or dead.
- Pass the Popcorn: Cordy nibbles the hors d'oeuvres while Wes is giving The Summation.
- Race Against the Clock
- Running Gag: Angel trying to explain away the Host as the "school mascot".
- Sex for Solace: Denise is guilty that she's going to dump Gene, so she decides to pretend all is normal at their anniversary and "give him the sympathy bone". Gene overhears this and decides to preserve the moment forever.
- Spanner in the Works: A fanatical sect of Lubber demons decides to use Gene's experiment to end humanity.
- Stepford Smiler: Cordelia. The others tell her to stop trying and wallow in the depression.
- Suicide Attack: A Lubber demon stops Angel's car simply by standing in the middle of the road so Angel can run into him. When they stop to examine his body, the other Lubber demons attack.
- Summation Gathering: Gunn is being congratulated on having killed a demon who was threatening a rich family, only for Wesley to announce that the demon was being controlled by someone in this very room! Wes then launches into a classic Agatha Christie-style summation, listing the clues until he narrows it down to the guilty party.
- Tempting Fate: One should never use the word "controllable" in reference to a time experiment.
- What Do You Mean It's Not Heinous?: The Host's difficulties of finding a bartender who can make a proper Sea Breeze after Ramone's departure.
- You Remind Me of X: The Host notices that Angel appears to have struck a cord with Gene.
Angel: "Well, the guy is a disaster at love, and nearly destroyed the world. I can relate."
Angel: "I think you should shut up now."
Host: "I'm the Host. Have you met me? I never shut up."
- Back to Angel