All characters from the Gaia setting of Anima: Beyond Fantasy go here.
The Holy Empire of Abel
Empress Elisabetta Barbados
The current sovereign of the Empire, Elisabetta is both the youngest sovereign and the first woman to lead the Holy Empire in its 700+ year history. Her ascension to the throne fractured the Empire for various reasons, not least of which was her father's actions before his death.
Her mother died giving birth to her, causing her father, Emperor Elias, to blame her for his wife's death. This resulted in her being shunned by him all her life. She had friendless growing up but managed to retain a positive attitude, which won her the hearts of several people, including her mentor Kisidan and the Lord of War Tadeus Van Horsman.
When her father fell under the influences of Eljared and ordered the destruction of Remo, Elisabetta attempted to stop him. In his madness he attempted to kill her but was struck down by her mentor, Kisidan. As a result, Elisabetta was forced to take the throne of The Holy Empire of Abel to stabilize the volatile political situation as a result of her father's actions, which forced segments of the broken Empire to either break away completely or follower her absolutely.
Tropes Associated with Elisabetta:
- A Child Shall Lead Them: The leader of the largest nation in Gaia's history, at the age of 13.
- Child Prodigy: Her mentor, Kisidan, believes she has the potential to be his equal within a few years. This is impressive to say the least.
- The Chosen One: Has the highest Natura possible for a human, the first in centuries.
- Iron Woobie: Blamed by her father for her mother's death, which resulted in her being shunned most of her life. She was then nearly killed by her father when he went insane, only to watch her mentor strike him down in her defense. Despite all this, she remains a genuinely good person who upholds very high ideals and a positive outlook on life.
- Just a Kid + Puppet Ruler: Most of her opposition believe this, they are wrong.
- Pimped-Out Dress. Just see her in the front cover of the Gaïa sourcebook.
- Empress Incognito: Which leads to.....
- Secret Identity: Anna Never being her favorite one.
- And given how big is the Empire and that all the political, military, and religious powers are concentrated on her person one wonders who's governing it when she's adventuring.
- Precocious Crush: on Nemesis, who saved her from a kidnapping attempt and traveled with her for a while. She is well aware that he is extremely dangerous and that her feelings are simply a childish crush, but she still wishes to confess to him should they meet again.
- The High Queen
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Very much so.
The Heaven Order
Knights of the Seventh Heaven
The highest level of the Heaven Order and the personal guardians of the Empress. They are personally chosen by the ruler of the Empire and are treated as living legends by most. Currently, they only consist of four members.
Tropes in Common between all members:
- Beyond the Impossible: It is common knowledge their abilities are this to most of the world.
- Implausible Fencing Powers : Undoubtedly.
- One-Man Army: Every member of the Knights of the Seventh Heaven are capable of defeating entire armies alone, without so much as a scratch.
- Red Baron: Every member is better known by their titles. These titles are taken from mythological demons and legendary beasts.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast : If your an enemy of the Empire.
The Strongest of the Knights of the Seventh Heaven, He was the Empress's guardian and mentor as she was growing up and is the one primarily responsible for her safety at all times.
In truth, Kisidan is an immortal who has been alive since the Age of Chaos and is over 3000 years old. He was recruited by the Powers in the Shadow centuries ago and acted as their hitman on Gaia for several centuries. He was later ordered to infiltrate the ranks of the Knights of the Seventh Heaven (an easy task for him) and was put in charge of the Emperor's daughter, Elisabetta. He grew fond of her over the years, and despite orders to the contrary, he saved her life and struck down Elias Barbados.
He secretly fears that someday the Powers in the Shadow will come to destroy him and Elissabetta for his disobedience.
Tropes Associated with Kisidan:
- Badass Grandpa: Considering his age....he easily qualifies.
- Curb Stomp Battle: His fight with Killrayne, the previous leader of the Knight's of the Seventh Heaven.
- Chunky Updraft: Is quite capable of causing this with his abilities.
- Up to Eleven: His power in comparison to the other members of the Knights of the Seventh Heaven.
- Physical God: The rank he held while working for the Imperium says it all: Godkiller
- Person of Mass Destruction
- The Stoic: Has been this way most of his existence.
- Not So Stoic:.... Until he realized that he had become so attached to Elisabetta that he couldn't let her be killed.
- Really A Few Thousand Years Old
- The Mole: Originally.
- True Neutral: Kisidan only really cares about Elisabetta, the rest of the world can burn as far as he is concerned.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Lilith, another member of the Knights of the Seventh Heaven.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Apparently his favored weapon, not that it really matters. He could kill someone almost as well with a toothpick.
- Ki Attacks: Ones that would make many Dragon Ball characters proud.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: This was apparently his day job for a few thousand years.
- Older Than They Look: A LOT older.
Even in a world such as Gaia, that holds so many secrets, Lilith is a mysterious enigma. Though she is an influential and powerful member of the 7th Heaven Knights her name is largely unknown as she mostly operates behind the scenes. As a mere human born into a world that humanity could consider hellish, Lilith has learned has become more adept at magic than many archmages and trained her fighting skills to a level rarely attained in an attempt to shield humanity from the darkness.
Tropes Associated with Lilith:
"What does it matter if there are ten or ten thousand? Mortals or gods? I will not back down. If I were a man perhaps I would, but today I enter the battle bearing a sword and the Symbol of Abel on my chest. Today I represent the Empire. So I will advance against them alone, and none will stand in my way."
Griever, The Destroyer of the Eternal Flames, is a living myth. Personal guardian of the Empress, this unstoppable man is no mere normal being; he is an ideal made flesh. Son of Baphomet, the last praetorian that guarded the Giovanni dynasty, Griever was trained to be the final weapon of humanity, a man that can face both gods or devils with his own hands.
Tropes Associated with Griever:
- Badass Normal: He is the only member of the Knight of the Seventh Heaven that was not born with special abilities.
- BFS: His Weapon of Choice.
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- My Greatest Failure: Believes that it was his failure to upholds the ideals of the Empire are what led the previous Emperor to his fall.
- My Greatest Second Chance: Sees Elisabetta as the guiding light he failed to be and would do anything to protect her.
- Scars Are Forever: As a result of the fight with his namesake, he has burn scars all over his body.
- Upbringing Makes the Hero: Was trained since he was young to serve and uphold the ideals of the Empire.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Earned his title from the Aeon Griever, who he defeated while defending the previous Emperor.
"Unique" is the best way to describe Tiamat, the youngest of the four 7th Heaven Knights that serves Elisabetta Bardados. Lazy and a womanizer, he nonethless possess a god-like talent for fighting. Making him sit up and take things seriously is the last thing his enemies would ever want.
Tropes Associated with Tiamat:
The Empress's Hand
The Empress's Hand is the most recent of all the organizations of the Empire as well as the strangest. This strange society was created by Elisabetta Barbados less than a month following her rise to the throne. It was created to be independent from the Empire and answer to her alone. It is a force whose primary goal is saving the world from destruction. All of its members are chosen by The Empress and is primarily made up of members from other branches of the Empire's forces, such as the Heaven's Order and the Imperial Army.
Tropes Associated with the Empress's Hand as a whole:
"None of us will fall. None of us will back down. We will, with our own hands, change the world."
Tropes Associated with Yuri Olsen:
- Asskicking Equals Authority
- Faking the Dead: Did this so he could form and lead The Empress's Hand in secret.
- Four-Star Badass
- The Hero
- The Strategist: Known for his ability to think outside the box and complete the mission without risking the lives of his companions unnecessarily.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
Samiel, The Black Lion
"Time is uncertain. Only death is sure."
Tropes Associated with Samiel:
- Archnemesis Dad: The Immortal Onerios is this to Samiel for eating most of his soul and leaving him for dead. Samiel believes if he eats Onerios' soul, he could finally kill the immortal one and break his own curse.
- Cursed with Awesome: he is effectively immortal since he consumes the souls of anything he kills. Were does the cursed part come in? He must continue to kill to stay alive, or suffer a Fate Worse Than Death
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Dreaded
- The Lancer
- The Red Baron: The Black Lion
"I am no hero, just a mere soldier who does what he's ordered."
Tropes Associated with Odin Goldsmith:
Supreme Archon Matthew Gaul
"Power is in the Blood."
One of the founding members of the Azur Alliance, Matthew Gaul is a former Lord of War of the Empire. He refused to obey Elias Barbados' order to purge Remo, thus gaining popular support when he took over leadership of Togarini. Ever seeking ways to increase his personal power, his current goal is to become the next Emperor, as he believes he is the most qualified person for that position.
Tropes Associated with Matthew Gaul:
- Ambition Is Evil: He certainly doesn't think so.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: With his immense physical and magical prowess, he easily qualifies.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Comes with being a Daevar
- Evil Overlord: At least he certainly LOOKS like one.
- Freudian Excuse: Born into poverty and beaten as a child, which caused him to have an unhealthy desire for power.
- In the Blood: His quote even says so. He probably owes a lot of his success to being a descendent of the last King of the Solomon Empire.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Seems to be a firm believer in this, as he purposefully dresses in dark and clean colors to draw attention.
- Magnificent Bastard
- The Gift
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Secretly murdered Imperial Arbiter Gainum and stole his identity at a very young age.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Particularly within the Azur Alliance.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He seduced a Duk'zarist wizard into teaching him everything she knows, then disposed of her when he learned everything she had to teach.
The High Arbiters
Tropes Associated with all Arbiters:
- Asskicking Equals Authority
- One-Man Army: Not to the same extent as the Knights of the Seventh Heaven, but pretty close.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: All Arbiters are known only by their titles, their real identities are know only by Matthew Gaul.
- Reality Warper: All Arbiters have this to some extent.
High Arbiter Aizen
Tropes Associated with Aizen:
- The Dragon: One of Matthew Gaul's personal bodyguards, known as "The Hand of Gaul"
High Arbiter Alastor, The Demon
"Extermination is your reward for challenging a God!"
Tropes Associated with Alastor:
- A God Am I: He certainly thinks so, just look at his quote!
- The Dreaded
- The Starscream: More loyal then most, at least until he finds a way to make himself stronger then Matthew Gaul.
- Power Tattoo: Is apparently covered in these beneath his armor.
- Red Baron: The War Demon
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Usually takes good care of his followers, until he needs someone to "explode" on his enemies.
High Arbiter Arked, The Angel/ Akaiel Abatti(human name)/Akaiel Ul Del Uranus (Sylvain name)
Tropes Associated with Arkeid:
- Magic Knight
- Red Baron: The Angel
- Up to Eleven: Arkeid's Reality Warper abilities are above and beyond the others Arbiters.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: One of the primary reasons she serves Matthew Gaul, she believes he is the only one who can unite the world through force and bring about peace.
The Church of Abel
High Saint Elienai
The Fallen Angels
Fallen Angel Dinah
Tropes Associated with Fallen Angel Dinah:
- Absolute Cleavage: I mean, come on.
- Dark Is Not Evil, Light Is Not Good: She and her evil side use the same power: combining Dark and Light Magic.
- Hybrid Monster: The result of combining the DNA of the Duk'zarist Queen with a High Wyrm of Light.
- Which, for some reason, makes her look Sylvain.
- Logic Bomb: What she loves and hates the most is same thing: the World.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Even when defeated, she devastated the area for miles around while escaping from her opponent.
- Really Seven Hundred Years Old: Unlike most examples, she's exactly that old.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: So superpowered that it took the first Emperor, Zhorne Giovanni, to stop it.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Idealism.
- The Archmage
Fallen Angel Ophiel
Fallen Angel Legion
Prince Lucanor Giovanni
"I once had a dream...and that dream is worth all the blood I've left behind and the thousands of corpses that will get in my way in the future."
The last of the Giovanni Bloodline, the Bloodline of the original Emperor of the Empire of Abel. Lucanor's father, Lascar Giovanni, forced Lucanor to commit patricide in order to prevent him from becoming the next Emperor. As a result, Lucanor was put in charge of Lucrecio, the birthplace of his mother.
Lucanor Giovanni is without a doubt one of the greatest minds on Gaia. He is responsible for a vast majority of technological advances in Gaia's recent history, including the Printing Press and Airships. In secret, Lucanor has formed an Organization named Wissenschaft (German for Science) which gives him an immense amount of influence around the world due to the Organization's vast intelligence network that covers most of Gaia.
Tropes Associated with Lucanor Giovanni:
- Awesome By Analysis: Definitely.
- Badass Normal: Possess absolutely no supernatural powers as far as we know, but his intelligence and influence alone makes him one of the biggest players in Gaia.
- Canon Sue: He certainly has elements of this, being the smartest man on Gaia and being skilled in every subject he has pursued. He also has diplomatic immunity from an organization capable of slaying gods.
- According to the (scant) data given in the sourcebook, it's dubious he's a human.
- It's also Word of God that the members of the Giovanni dinasty were increasing their power as generations pased.
- Diplomatic Impunity: Has this as far as the Powers in the Shadow are concerned.
- Expy: of Ozymandias, he even has a giant genetically engineer pet cat to match.
- Instant Expert: Has effectively mastered every subject there is to master before he was even 15, surpassing most of his teachers and graduating with a doctorate from the most prestigious university in Gaia.
- He has only practiced with a sword a couple of times in his life, but is one of the best swordsman in Gaia.
- Magitek: He is one of the foremost experts in Lost Loggia and is partially responsible for the creation of both the Crow's and Gears of Wissenschaft.
- Older Than They Look: Lucanor is in his 40's, he looks like he is in his 20's.
- The Chessmaster + Magnificent Bastard + Manipulative Bastard: Possibly the most triumphant example in Gaia.
- The Omniscient: Type 2.
Lorenzo Rey Del Filio
The New Brotherhood
Tropes Associated with Nemesis:
- Boring but Practical: Has no fancy reality altering powers, but has proven completely invulnerable to any attacks and is capable of easily destroying dozens of Jurgand agents, body and soul.
- World's Strongest Man: Even Eljared doubts the outcome if the two of them should ever fight.
- Physical God
- Nigh Invulnerable: Make that completely invulnerable. Has taken attacks capable of felling gods and emerged uninjured.
- Emotionless Guy: rarely experiences or even understands emotions.
- Undying Loyalty: towards Eljared, he follows her primarily because she managed to make him curious.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy