Aria the Scarlet Ammo/Characters
Aria H. Kanzaki
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya
A diminutive top student of Butei High's prestigious Assault Side.
- A-Cup Angst
- The Ace: She's good at everything... except cooking.
- Action Girl
- Actor Allusion: She frequently screams "Urusai!" ("Shut up!") a lot.
- Animal Motifs: Cats. She is fond of "Leopon" stuffed cats, some key scenes involving her have random purrs, and in Episode 2 she even growls like a cat. In Episode 6 Shirayuki even calls her a "thieving cat" for freeloading with Kinji.
- Badass Adorable
- Catch Phrase
"I'll blow a hole through you!"
- Clear Their Name: Aria's primary motivation for attending Butei High is to help clear her mother, Kanae, of charges of being the "Butei Killer", which automatically sent her to 862 years in prison. If successful, Aria could shave off centuries of prison time for her, and at the best-case scenario, even clear her altogether.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Cry Cute: A norm for Rie Kugimiya's roles.
- Cute Little Fangs: With feline tendencies to boot.
- Famous Ancestor: She's the fourth-generation descendant of Sherlock Holmes, explaining the "H" in her name.
- Fiery Redhead
- First Kiss: With Kinji, which also doubles as a "Shut Up" Kiss to her in order to pacify her after she was revived after being critically hit in the chest by Riko.
- Forehead of Doom
- Girlish Pigtails
- Guns Akimbo
- Idiot Hair
- Lethal Chef
- Little Miss Badass
- Luminescent Blush: Very prone to this.
- Miss Conception: She thinks kissing instantly leads to pregnancy.
- Older Than She Looks
- The Ojou: Hinted to be one.
- Omniglot: She knows seventeen languages.
- Pretty Freeloader
- Rapunzel Hair: Even in her Girlish Pigtails, her hair still reaches way below her knees.
- Rose-Haired Girl
- Scars Are Forever: After a brush with death during the bus bomb incident, she has since kept a small X-shaped scar on her forehead (now hidden by her hair) as a reminder.
- Shana Clone: And possibly the 5th Tsundere Wonder.
- Tsundere: Type A -- now with the voice to boot.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Peach buns.
- Vitriolic Best Buds/Volleying Insults: With Riko.
- Weapon of Choice: A pair of M1911s and a pair of kodachis.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A rare Rank S.
- Voiced by: Junji Majima
Another top student of Assault Side, who, for some reason, demoted himself to the more rear-line Inquest Side. When sexually aroused, he enters a state called "Hysteria Savant Syndrome" (HSS), also known as "Hysteria Mode".
- The Ace: In HSS mode he is a smooth talker, has genius level intelligence and is abnormally strong. His normal mode however is a Butt Monkey.
- Almighty Janitor: Espically in HSS but it's hinted that his normal mode is stronger than the "E rank" would indicate.
- Bishonen: A borderline example.
- Blessed with Suck/Cursed with Awesome: Hysteria Savant Syndrome
- Bullet Time/Hyper Awareness: One of his powers under HSS.
- Butt Monkey: In normal mode the girls love to make his life difficult. Generally speaking he would get the short end of the stick.
- Chaste Hero/Selective Obliviousness: He has many female admirers. He either doesn't notice or choses to ignore the signs.
- Chick Magnet: Has Aria, Shirayuki, Riko, and Reki after him. Take note that this is just his primary lineup and he's been ship teased with plenty of other girls.
- Chivalrous Pervert: While in HSS.
- Deus Sex Machina: He needs to be sexually aroused (usually by experiencing Marshmallow Hell or kissing) to activate his HSS.
- Deadpan Snarker/First-Person Smartass: Snarks a lot in his head.
- Dual-Wielding: Recent light novel volumes promote him into the "third Quadra", after Aria and Riko.
- First Kiss: With Aria, which also doubles as a deliberate HSS activation to him.
- Genre Savvy
- Harem Hero: His normal mode is Type 1 with shades of Type 2A. His HSS mode is definitely Type 2B.
- Humiliation Conga: He was forced to mull leaving Butei after he and his (supposedly-dead) older brother Kinichi was subjected to this after the latter's rescue attempt aboard a sinking ship, but with the shipping company unwilling to take responsibility and instead scapegoating him.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: After his Humiliation Conga, Kinji mulls leaving Butei High.
- Ultimately subverted, once he realizes that his life will never be the same again now that he and Aria had defeated Sherlock Holmes.
- Lolicon: Regarded by his classmates as one due to his closeness to the diminutive Aria. It also doesn't help that she is the most effective method of triggering his HSS. For example: in Episode 10, Kinji managed to resist HSS from seeing Riko in just her lingerie, but couldn't hold on any longer once he saw Aria taking off her clothes.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Ironically overshadowed by himself or to be more precise his Hysteria Mode. He himself is aware of this and it's one of the reason's he dislikes Hysteria Mode.
- Super Mode: His Hysteria Mode. He has a even stronger mode called Berserk Hysteria Mode which is triggered by jealousy.
- Super Reflexes: One of his Hysteria mode's powers.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tsundere: A rare male example. He usually treats Aria with indifference but there are times when he is kind to her.
- Unwanted Harem
- Weapon of Choice: A Beretta 92FS Inox modified to fire a three-round burst, which he conveniently names "Beretta Kinji Model", as well as a butterfly knife.
- Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi
Kinji's childhood friend and a Miko of the Hotogi Shrine in Aomori Prefecture.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Adorable
- Black Bra and Panties: She has loads of them, as well as white ones, as Kinji found (much to his horror) when he opens a drawer she brought with her when she moved into Kinji and Aria's place.
- Chekhov's Gun: Becomes a plot point when Jeanne disguises herself as her.
- Blue Eyes
- Broken Bird: Implied -- as a child she was not allowed to go outside, and was severely punished for going out with Kinji. She was also only able to attend Butei High due to her clan's approval.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Whenever she's slipping into Yandere mode, especially towards Aria.
- Famous Ancestor: Himiko, legendary shaman queen of Yamataikoku.
- First Kiss: With Kinji, though technically this is already the guy's second (the first being Aria, of course).
- Genre Savvy
- Healing Hands
- Hime Cut
- Hyperspace Arsenal
- Non-Indicative Name: Invoked as an alias.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Weapon of Choice.
- Lady of War
- Meaningful Name
- Multi Melee Master
- Patient Childhood Love Interest
- Playing with Fire
- Rapunzel Hair
- Student Council President
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Not there yet, but this is her ultimate goal with Kinji.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A miko according to family tradition and practices with a katana.
- Yandere: Played for Laughs, although she's more into "exorcising" away any girl who comes between her and Kinji (including his partner Aria).
- Voiced by: Kaori Ishihara
A mysterious, silent sniper and Butei High student.
- Amazon Brigade: Her clan, the Ulus.
- Big Badass Wolf: She keeps one, named Haimaki, after taming him with a bullet grazed through its spine.
- Cold Sniper
- Catch Phrase: Doubles as Badass Creed: "I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
- Emotionless Girl: As a member of the Ulus Tribe, she sealed away her emotions inside a sliver of irokane in exchange for efficiency and utter devotion to her chosen husband (i.e., Kinji).
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Famous Ancestor: Genghis Khan, who roamed 12th-century Japan as famous general Minamoto no Yoshitsune.
- Fluffy Tamer: Her bullets alone could tame a giant Central Asian wolf.
- Idiot Hair: Sort of.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She can even extend the effective range of her Dragunov from its standard 800 meters to 2,051 meters.
- Leitmotif: "Reki, Happou!"
- Mysterious Past
- Only One Name
- The Quiet One
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- Small Girl, Big Gun
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Trademark Favorite Food: Energy bars for her, fish sausages for Haimaki.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: She proposes to Kinji while pointing the barrel of her Dragunov to him.
- Weapon of Choice: A Dragunov with a bayonet attached on its end.
- You Gotta Have Light-Green Hair
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise
A ditzy, air-headed Butei High student and a reliable source of information.
- Animal Motifs: Like Aria, Riko has her own share of feline characteristics, with her Cat Smile as the most evident one. Shirayuki calls her "the other thieving cat".
- Badass Adorable
- Broken Bird: She's a complete orphan living at Vlad's mercy, brainwashed into joining I-U and attempting to slay Aria, a Holmes, in order to win back her precious rosary, her identity and her freedom... all for Vlad to extract DNA from Aria and create superior genes that allow him to evolve.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer
- But Not Too Foreign: She has French blood.
- Cat Smile: Which emphasizes her mischievous personality.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Although she joins the Kinji-Aria Nakama for good after they free her from Vlad's clutches.
- The Ditz
- Famous Ancestor: Arsène Lupin
- First Kiss: She shares hers with Kinji, which effectively makes it his third.
- Foil: To Aria.
- Freudian Excuse: Sick of being constantly referred to as "Lupin the 4th", Riko joined I-U, hoping to kill a Holmes and finally break free of her great-grandfather's shadow.
- The Gadfly/The Tease
- Gag Boobs
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Bad Girl: A bright ray of good-natured sunshine who just happens to also be very frank and comfortable with her sexuality.
- Hair of Gold
- Holding Both Sides of the Conversation: In episode 11, to set off Kinji's hysteria mode.
- Knowledge Broker
- Loss of Identity: Solves it in Volume 3 with Kinji and Aria's help.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Master of Disguise
- Ms. Fanservice
- My Name Is NOT Lupin the 4th!: Ultimately subverted in the end, when, after defeating Vlad, who brainwashed her into doing his bidding by hammering the title onto her, she regains her pride in her heritage.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Otaku Surrogate
- Prehensile Hair
- Third Person Person
- Trademark Favorite Food: Strawberry au lait.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: She loves hiding things sizable enough to fit between her firm and ample breasts.
- Vitriolic Best Buds/Volleying Insults: With Aria.
- Weapon of Choice: A pair of Walther P99s and a pair of knives.
Jeanne d'Arc the 30th
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
A mysterious silver-haired French girl who specializes in ice-elemental combat.
- The Ace: With everything that's not drawing.
- An Ice Person
- Born in the Wrong Century: As noted by Kinji, Jeanne shows shades of this. She's refined, wears plate mail, wields a zweihander (two-handed sword), doesn't know what a vending machine is, and dislikes skimpy clothing (including modern school uniforms, even her Butei uniform). This may have stemmed from growing up without seeing the world beyond I-U's auspices.
- Broken Bird
- Covert Pervert: Thanks to fellow Frenchwoman Riko's influence, the once very conservative Jeanne is starting to collect Meido uniforms, Elegant Gothic Lolita outfits, etc.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Expy: She could be easily mistaken for a younger, Francophone Saber Lily with longer silver hair, shorter skirt, and a near-identical sword -- with the same seiyuu to boot, to near-Casting Gag levels.
- Famous Ancestor: Her name alone should be a giveaway already.
- Hot Chick with a Sword
- Jeanne D'Archetype
- Lady of War
- Meganekko: Occasionally.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: "Durandal", as she was known during her days at the I-U.
- New Transfer Student: As part of her plea bargain, Jeanne became a second-year transferee in the Informa Side.
- Terrible Artist: For all her many talents, her drawing skill leaves to be desired.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
- Voiced by: Takayuki Kondo
Kinji's good friend from the Logi Side.
- Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi
Another of Kinji's friends and classmate in the Assault Side.
- The Ace: He's a Rank-A Butei.
- Bash Brothers: He and Kinji used to be paired together prior to the latter's transfer to Inquest. Upon returning to Assault, however, Kinji already paired up with Aria.
- Chick Magnet: He's got a lot of fangirls, although he admits he hasn't had a girlfriend yet.
- Weapon of Choice: A Heckler & Koch Mk.23 with a laser pointer.
Kinichi's older brother who died at sea in an incident involving the Butai Killer. Revealed to have been alive in volume 3, working for I-U.
- As the Good Book Says...: He does this when attacking.
- Broken Pedestal: Kinji used to look up to him before he died and was defamed partially as a result of his hysteria mode. He remains disillusioned, even after meeting him again.
- The Mole: He is actually trying to take down I-U by creating a power vacuum though his methods are...a bit extreme
- Wholesome Crossdresser: This is how he activates his hysteria mode.
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
A second-year from the Connect Side who serves as the voice behind her schoolmates' intercom when on the field.
Tooru Sayonaki/Vlad Dracula
- Voiced by: Kenji Nojima
A geneticist and part-time instructor for Ambulance Side.
- Big Bad: For the first three light novel volumes and the anime adaptation.
- Evilutionary Biologist
- For Science!
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Most apparent when he brutally beats Riko up.
- Hot Teacher
- Mad Scientist: He collects blood from countless people (including Butei High students) to absorb "superior" genes and evolve.
- Magic Pants: During his One-Winged Angel sequence.
- One-Winged Angel: In the form of a giant canine beast.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- Wicked Cultured: He is Count Dracula, after all.
- Would Hit a Girl: Just see what he does to Riko in Episode 12.
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
Aria's mother currently spending an absurdly long 862 years in prison for charges of being the "Butei Killer".
- Clear My Name: Aria's motivation for attending Butei High is to clear her of charges of being the "Butei Killer". If successful, she could shave off centuries of prison time for her, or perhaps even clear her altogether.
- Hot Mom
- The Scapegoat
- Back to Aria the Scarlet Ammo
- A derogatory term to a female romantic interloper; this is frequently used in Japanese live-action drama shows