Avatar: The Last Airbender/Recap/Book 3/21 Sozin's Comet Part 4: Avatar Aang
"I can't believe a year ago I was frozen in a block of ice. The world is so different now."
Sokka and Toph steer their airship so that it crashes into the other warships, but are caught and attacked by a Fire Nation soldier. Trying to jump to safety, the two are attacked by more firebenders, and even clever use of space sword and boomerang are now good. It seems hopeless for the pair until they're saved by airship steered by an unlikely source- Suki!
Ozai, meanwhile, has Aang on the defensive- a defense that is slowly giving away under the intense heat of the 'Phoenix King's' fire. Pushed further and further back, Aang's scar hits a jagged piece of rock- miraculously undoing the chakra block caused by Azula's lightning at Ba Sing Se! now in the Avatar State, Avatar Aang easily fends off Ozai's assault and prepares to retaliate.
In Ba Sing Se, the Order of the White Lotus succeed in defeating the Fire Nation forces gathered there. Iroh sets the banner of his country ablaze to uncover the Earth Kingdom's, symbolizing the city's liberation from their conquerors.
At the Ozai-Aang duel, The former Fire Lord finds himself on the victim side of a Curb Stomp Battle. Ozai can just barely keep ahead of the Avatar's relentless attacks.
At the Fire Nation, Katara is continually attacked by Azula, and forced away from any apparent source of water. Finding chains and water underneath a grate, Katara lures Azula to her. Once the mad princess is close enough, Katara entraps them both in a block of ice- but allows herself enough freedom to chain Azula down. With that done, Katara goes to heal Zuko, allowing him to survive Azula's lightning. This is the last straw for Azula, and once-mighty firebender is reduced to screaming and crying like a rabid beast.
At this time Aang has finally caught up with Ozai. binding him down with earthbending, the Avatar declares that Ozai and his forefathers have devestated the planet, and he must pay the penalty. But when it comes to deliver the final blow, Aang stops- this is not how he wants to end the war. At this percieved weakness, Ozai tries to attack, but is stopped by Aang. Taking hold of Ozai, Aang begins to meld his energies with Ozai's, represented by blue (Aang) and red (Ozai).
Lion Turtle: In the era before the Avatar, we bend not the elements, but the energy within ourselves. To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable, or you will be corrupted and destroyed.
For a moment, it seems as if Ozai's energy will overwhelm Aang's, but the young Avatar prevails. When all is done, Ozai is reduced to a bitter shell of a man. Aang took away his ability to firebend, so that it wouldn't be used to harm other people again. With that done, Aang waterbends a giant wave to put out the fire started by Ozai's attack. Momo, Sokka, Toph, and Suki arrive to congratulate Aang.
At the Fire Nation capital, Zuko prepares to be officially crowned as Fire Lord and many happy reunions are had; Mai and Zuko get back together, Suki rejoins the Kyoshi Warriors and finds out that Ty Lee has joined as well (Having met and befriended them in prison), Katara and Sokka meet up with their father, and many more occur. In the palace, Aang and Zuko remark on how much things have changed since they first met in the South Pole. At the coronation ceremony, Zuko declares that the war is over, and although a hundred years of fighting has caused the world to become scarred and divided, they can now begin to heal it with the help of the Avatar. Zuko is crowned Fire Lord.
At a prison somewhere, Zuko confronts his now-powerless father. There's only one thing the new Fire Lord wants from the old; Where is his mother?
At Ba Sing Se, the Gaang, with Mai included, enjoy some tea at Iroh's tea shop. Sokka tries to make a drawing to commemorate the occasion, but like all of his illustrations, this one is terrible. As everyone else takes a turn criticizing Sokka's work, Aang and Katara meet outside. They hug each other, and then kiss.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Sokka's Space Sword is sharp enough to cut through the metal hull of an airship.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Azula.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Zuko is made Fire Lord.
- Back for the Finale: Mai, Ty Lee, Hakoda, the Duke, Pipsqueak, Teo and the Mechanist, Haru and his father, and the Kyoshi Warriors.
- Backstab Backfire: Happens to Ozai after Aang regains control and refuses to kill him.
- Big Damn Heroes: Suki.
- The Big Damn Kiss: Katara initiates it with Aang, which closes out the show.
- Blade Brake: Subverted. See Absurdly Sharp Blade above.
- Book Ends: A pillar of light shoots into the sky. Also, the final shot of Aang and Katara on the balcony reflects the shot of Aang on the cliff in the Opening Narration.
- Brought Down to Normal: Instead of killing him, Aang uses energy-bending to strip Ozai of his firebending.
- Bullet Time: Happens a few times during the fight between Aang and Ozai.
- Call Back:
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Suki's attempt at coming up with a nickname for the defeated Ozai is quite lame.
- Charge Into Combat Cut: Used once to switch from the Aang/Ozai fight to the Zuko/Katara/Azula fight.
- Comet of Doom: Sozin's Comet.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Ozai ends up on the receiving end of it when Aang enters the Avatar State. Arguable if it should be considered a battle at all given he was fleeing and distancing himself most of the time.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: And how.
- Field Power Effect: Sozin's Comet gives firebenders one hundred times their normal strength.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Aang in the Avatar State.
- Happy Ending
- Humiliation Conga: This happens to Ozai.
- Let's See You Do Better: Sokka thinks Momo is criticizing his work.
"Oh, you think you can do a better job, Momo?"
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Ozai manages to break through Aang's protective shell and proceeds to slowly walk towards him, ready to finish him off. However, all he managed to do was unblock Aang's seventh chakra, allowing him to enter the Avatar State.
- Official Couple: Final count: Sokka/Suki, Zuko/Mai, and Aang/Katara.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: During the flashback with the Lion Turtle.
- Orbiting Particle Shield: Aang creates one with all four elements while in the Avatar State.
- Pan-Up-To-The-Sky Ending
- Power Floats: Aang in the Avatar State.
- Power Glows: Again, Aang in the Avatar State.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!:
Zuko: Where. Is. My mother?
- Sealed with a Kiss
- Sorry I Left the BGM On: In the penultimate scene, the music is actually Iroh playing the tsungi horn.
- Sphere of Power: Aang bends a sphere of air around him when he enters the Avatar State, followed by rings of fire, earth and water.
- Take a Third Option
- Voice of the Legion: When Aang speaks in the Avatar State.
- Watching the Sunset: The final scene.