Awesome Possum... Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt is a 1993 platformer by Tengen for the Sega Genesis. You play as the titular possum, fighting against Dr. Machino and his robot army as they despoil the environment. This is not all he fights against; in addition to robots and traps, he must struggle with slippery controls, clipping issues, slowdown, poor hit detection, sloppy level design, and voice samples that insist on reminding the player that Awesome Possum has 'tude.
- Badbutt: As with most Mascot with Attitude era protagonists.
- Boss Rush: Awesome Possum refaces all the past bosses in the last round before Dr. Machino.
- Down in the Dumps: "Dr. Machino's Domain" and "The Fortress of Garbage" an actual landfill complete with the additional dark skies, menacing mechas and jefferies tubes, a likely sort that makes the place very reminiscent of a certain final zone.
- Everything's Worse with Bees: You'll face more than one giant, deformed bee over the course of the game.
- Excuse Plot: Dr. Machino is polluting the environment! Go through levels and stop him!
- Goomba Stomp: Despite having a spin-attack like Sonic, this is Awesome's method of attack.
- Green Aesop: Not just the storyline, either. Every level ends with a quiz about the environment.
- Jungle Japes: The first level takes place in the Amazon Rainforest, where deforestation is taking place.
- Literal Ass-Kicking: As part of the ending, while a chorus sings the game's title, just like it does when the game starts up.
- Mascot with Attitude: Awesome Possum plays this as straight as an arrow, from his appearance, attitude, and his own name.
- Mecha-Mooks: Dr. Machino's robotic minions.
- Polluted Wasteland: What Dr. Machino is turning the world into.
- Pop Quiz: Every round ends with a bonus question about the environment, which will reward the player with bonus points if answered correctly.
- Power-Up Letdown: The speed boost. Considering how touchy the controls are, all the speed boost does is send Awesome Possum careening into either a bottomless pit or an enemy.
- Powerup Mount: Assorted animals.
- Rushmore Refacement: You celebrate your victory by desecrating more of the environment.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The third level takes place on the oil rigs of Antarctica.
- Spikes of Doom
- Spoiler Title
- Under the Sea