Axis Powers Hetalia/Characters/Modern Classics
- Identical Grandson: Germany looks like Germania with shorter hair. Averted with the Roman Empire, who looks like both his grandsons (or rather both take after him without looking identical); Romano got his hair color, while Italy got his eyes.
- Germany looks so much like Germania that FUNimation thought they were the same person. Lets hope that gets fixed.
What!? You don't even * &%&@ on the road!? You've at least kissed a girl, right? Maybe a little bit of !@#$ on the beach!?
Voiced by: Hozomi Goda (JP), Christopher Sabat (EN)
- Non Sequitur Scene: See Large Ham below.
- And then there was heavy metal Rome in Paint It, White! Like Ancient Rome's other appearances, it is never mentioned again.
- Bi the Way: Well, he did say he regretted never having sex with a male when alive...
- Boisterous Bruiser: And how. See Germania's quote, i.e.
- The Casanova: He does love hanging out with beautiful ladies.
- Doting Grandfather: To Italy. "Aww, he's so kyooot~"
- Dirty Old Man: The 'With Grandpa Rome' strips (in the published manga) hint on this.
- Eyes of Gold: Matching North Italy's eye color.
- Grandpa What Massive Hotness You Have: Fans generally agree he's hot. Even the narrator in the English dub said he was "unusually handsome".
- Hozumi Gouda
- Latin Lover: He really loves ladies and sex. Everywhere.
- Loveable Sex Maniac
- Love At First Sight: According to his official profile, it happened to him at least twice: with Old Greece (Greece's mother) and Old Egypt (Egypt's mother).
- Large Ham/ Incoming Ham: Each time that The Axis and Justice Destiny Strike Force would fight each other in season 1, the sounds of spotlights flicking on in the distance, a chorus of trumpets blaring triumphantly, and all countries looking nervously at the ocean, only to see a blinding light and an ENORMOUS Roman Empire traveling on a boat or a bed accompanied by a harem of beautiful women singing the following warning:
Roman Empire: In heaven, the police are British, the lovers are Italian, the chefs are French, the engineers are German, and the bankers are Swiss. In hell, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the chefs are British, the engineers are French, and the bankers are Italian.
- Older Than They Look: He looks around 35, tops.
- Granparental Favouritism: He's much more fond of Veneziano than Romano, to the point of leaving him behind with Spain instead. The poor guy...
- Posthumous Character: Almost only seen in flashbacks (if we don't count the published manga and the filler island cameo in the anime), but even as late as the Chibitalia Renaissance strips, it's all about him. He also confirms that nations age and die with military weakness.
- Vestigial Empire: The Vestigial Empire.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Spartacus as this.
- Zettai Ryouiki: During his Rock performance of "Heaven and Hell", he's a Grade A.Naturally.
Talk about something else than women, alcohol and battles once in a while!
Voiced by: Kissho Taniyama (JP), Jason Douglas (EN)
- Bodyguard Betrayal: According to their profiles, he used to be Rome's bodyguard. Then he killed him.
- Disappeared Dad: In the drama CD he's called Germany's father.
- Doting Parent: As revealed in Hetalia Bloodbath 2011.
- Fan Nickname: "Legolas", for his design.
- Blue Eyes
- Kissho Taniyama
- Perpetual Frowner: So much that, when he tries to smile, he cannot.
- Posthumous Character
- The Stoic