Axis Powers Hetalia/Characters/The Empire Formerly Known As Britain
The Empire Formerly Known As Britain
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Their tell (including England), but not America, Canada, or Seychelles.
- America and England aren't blood relatives; England just adopted him as his brother. Cuts down on some of the potential incestuous squick in their relationship. Canada might be the same way too, and he is said to get his hair from France.
- An early sketch of Seychelles showed her with one normal eyebrow and one thick one.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Due to the nature of the British Empire, they are often portrayed this way in fanworks.
- Blade on a Stick: During "America Cleans Out The Storage", England and America face off with bayonets.
- Team Dad: In a metaphorical (literal?) sense England's the older adoptive brother of America (and Sealand and presumably most of the commonwealth). Former older brother, anyway. It's complicated.
- The British Empire: Well, duh. Though most of them are still in The Commonwealth.
Canada - Matthew Williams
Excuse me! I'm sorry for my lateness! A terrible accident happened... When I woke up this morning, it was already past noon!
- Adaptation Dye Job: Has lighter blond hair with darker tips in manga artwork, but the anime gives him a uniform dark blond shade. His eyes also changed from being violet (or light blue) to a deep blue. Both changes make him look even more like America.
- Apologises a Lot: ...see quote.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Beware the Quiet Ones: The guy is very quiet, to being practically invisible! Get him angry, though, and he might give you a mind-blowing three-hour rant!
- There's actually historical precedent for this trait too.
- Blue Eyes: In the anime.
- Butt Monkey and Canada, Eh?: Uh oh, poor kid.
- Dude in Distress: In Hetalia Fantasia 3.
- The Dutiful Son: Often portrayed this way in fanworks.
- Everything Is Worse With Bears: Averted, since his pet polar bear Kumajirou might forget who Canada really is, but isn't exactly a bad or evil animal.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Possibly justified? Canada was the aircraft manufacturing and flight training center for most of the British Empire in WW 2 and his uniform is aviator-appropriate and seems to include a parachute. While America is clearly dressed as a fighter pilot, Canada is likely to be a bombardier or navigator.
- Heavy Sleeper: Seems to be narcoleptic, as one of the webcomic strips has him speaking to someone else and then both fall asleep randomly. See his quote as well.
- Idiot Hair
- Manipulative Bastard: Suprisingly, but one of his tactics to get America to surrender during The American Revolution was to trick him into signing a surrender treaty that was hidden in a package disguised to make it look like it had food inside. It nearly worked, too.
- Mistaken Identity: Canada is always confused for America (but not the other way around), much to his misery.
- Nice Guy
- Non-Human Sidekick: Kumajirou, his talking polar bear.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Like America, he has glasses though he apparently doesn't need them to see.
- Purple Eyes
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: America and Canada argue. Canada has a 'not so quiet' moment and wins. After three hours, England cuts him off out of mercy for a collapsing America.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: America and Canada's sibling relationship is often portrayed as this, with America as the Manly Man and Canada as the Sensitive Guy.
- When interacting with Cuba they have this dynamic as well.
- Shrinking Violet
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With his brother America. Canada is meek and sensitive while America is outgoing and has occasional bouts of arrogance.
- The Stoner: In Fanon, due to the country's rather laid back stance on cannabis in Real Life and to the extremely good diplomatic relationships with the other Fanon stoner, Netherlands.
- With Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, apparantly confirmed.
- The Strategist: Himaruya remarked that he was a good tactician.
- The Unfavorite: Canada has always been overshadowed by America ever since they were little. As soon as England seemed to be paying more attention to Canada, America came along and took his attention back.
- In fact, poor Canada is usually treated as a non-entity - people either forget who he is or don't even notice him. (In one strip Russia spends a whole meeting sitting in his lap because he didn't notice that Canada was already sitting in the chair. Later Russia comments to Belarus on how comfortable his chair was.)
- Trademark Favorite Food: Any food covered with maple syrup.
- Verbal Tic: "Maple!", when in pain.
- Who Is This Guy Again?: He is this trope incarnated. He's even the focus of the trope's main picture.
99% of people go through their lives without even knowing about my existence! Only having your name known is above this!
Voiced by: Megumi Takamoto (JP)
- Annoying Younger Sibling: An adopted one of sorts towards England and France. But mostly England.
- Bare Your Midriff: In a few chibi sketches where she wears an outfit reminiscent of pirates.
- Big Eater: Implied. In the 2010 Christmas Bloodbath, she was willing to eat Finland's cooking, and even asked for him to send her food in exchange for a photo.
- Cool Sword: She gets one in her 2011 Halloween costume and a few sketches.
- The Ditz: She has a few moments. So far, she seems to be the spaciest of all the female characters, especially in the Christmas events, where she has texted Finland just to ask how he would describe ants being all over the place and tries to play in the snow as if it were sand.
Seychelles: Ah, can I eat the fish? It's a fresh fish. [...] Or would a flying fish be better? Is it?
- Eyes of Gold: In manga illustrations.
- Fan Nickname: The fandom hasn't really settled on a human name for her the way it has for Taiwan or Netherlands, but "Leonie", "Michelle" and "Angelique" are the most common human names for her in fanworks.
- Foot Focus: Illustrations show her as either wearing sandals or going barefoot.
- Friend to All Living Things: Hinted at in her character song.
The tuna, the shrimps, the dolphins and the sea gulls,
when we hold their hands, they all become our friends.
- Hair Decorations: Her red ribbons.
- Heavy Sleeper: Somehow manages to fall asleep in the middle of her own character song.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails
- Gossipy Hens: Seems to have shades of this in volume four when she has a lot of trouble keeping it to herself that a certain royal couple would be spending their honeymoon at her place.
- Island Mouse: In "Gakuen Hetalia".
- Joshikousei: She's the star of Gakuen Hetalia, as already mentioned.
- New Transfer Student: In the Gakuen Hetalia game, France convinces her to join the World Academy. When she draws her national crest on the chalkboard, the other members of her Africa Class laugh so hard at how cheesy it is they need to be taken to the school infirmary.
- Nubile Savage
- Only Sane Man: Averted. In Gakuen Hetalia, Seychelles attempts to put a curse on England, only to have him reveal himself as a lover of black magic as he starts begging for her to teach him. This causes Seychelles to think on how strange everyone in World Academy W is, not realizing that she is in fact just as weird as everyone else.
- Plucky Girl: As attested by the quote mentioned above.
- The Prankster: In the 2011 Bloodbath, she admits to prank calling England. However, she doesn't seem to actually be very good at it.
Seychelles: I'll say my name and everything straight up when I prank call England. I'll pretend to talk about the TV instruction manual with him.
- Sassy Black Woman: The more positive side of this trope. She occasionally says snarky things about her (at the time) boss England as well, and is said to have dumped France in Christmas. Look below as well.
- Shorttank: Seems to be getting this treatment in a few sketches as of late.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Monaco's girly girl in the Hetaween event.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fish.
- Although sometimes it's portrayed more as her Companion Cube.
- Tsundere: In Gakuen Hetalia, she's a Type B that goes from demure and polite to screaming or swearing as soon as England or France push her too far, either by being bossy (England) or by groping her (France).
- In the original Gakuen Hetalia script, one of the "bad endings" (the one where she joins the Axis) drives it very straight to the point, as it finished with Seychelles screaming and swearing that she'll kill England the next time they meet.
- To England (After he clamps a dog collar on her and declares her his colony): LIKE HELL I WILL YOU EYEBROW BASTAAARD!
- What Could Have Been: According to Word of God, she was based off of an old character who was meant to represent Nagasaki.
- As well, an initial design shows Seychelles with one very bushy eyebrow and one normal one. This sketch also has her trademark ribbons missing.
- Why Did It Have To Be Snow?: She seems to hate the cold in the 2011 Bloodbath, nearly passing out because of it. Justified because of her Real Life climate.
Check it out, this sheep looks extremely hot, huh?
- Battle Boomerang: One appeared in his sketch notes.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Even BIGGER than England's in the first sketch. A later picture shows him with eyebrows that aren't as big as England's, but are still fairly big.
- Boisterous Bruiser and Fun Personified: His two more popular Fanon characterizations.
- Cool Shades: Yeah.
- Fan Nickname: "Bruce" and "Adam" are the most commonly used names for him. Himaruya has mentioned the following name suggestions sent by fans: Ralph, Christian, Kyle, and Jett.
- Green Eyes
- Idiot Hair: Two, to differentiate him from Austria.
- Land Down Under
- Non-Human Sidekick: Has a koala in the first sketch.
- Pointless Band-Aid: On his nose.
- Shirtless Scene: Justified since they were at the beach, though he was still the only one shirtless.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: A lot of fanon portrays him as this towards England, based on their Real Life relationship.
Ah, no… I was playing soccer with the kids and the ball hit Mr. Mulema’s house.
- The Beautiful Game: He seems to really love
soccerfootball, to the point that when he's kidnapped in the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010 the people in his country start to lose interest in the game.
- He also teaches it to the world's smallest primate when he was taking care of one for another nation.
- The Big Guy: Subverted. He does look quite tall in this picture, but he's not necessarily as tall as Denmark and Holland. Maybe it's just Depth Deception.
- Everything's Cuter With Kittens: Sort-of. He has a lion cub named Kokolo.
- Intellectual Animal: Kokolo is, apparently, a Glasgow University Fine Arts graduate.
- Gentle Giant: The most popular Fanon characterization. Having a big "kitty" certainly helps.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Scary Black Man: Complete aversion, since he may have the looks but personality-wise he's an absolute sweetheart.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
We got into a huge blood feud about who was the most sheep-like so we wanted to ask you, Big bro!
- All There in the Manual: S/he didn't appear in any strip until Hetaween 2011.
- Ambiguous Gender: As of now. Almost bordering Shrug of God:
Is New Zealand-san a man or a woman?
New Zealand: Which do you think I am?
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Fairly big eyebrows indeed.
- Cat Smile
- Fan Nickname: Due to the Ambiguous Gender deal, fandom tends to give him/her a Gender Blender Name. "Chris" and "Charlie" have been spotted.
- Idiot Hair: Two on either side of their head, like ram horns.
- Nice Hat
- Non-Human Sidekick: The sheep s/he was drawn with.
- Verbal Tic: Ends all sentences with a "" in the original Japanese (like this), but not in translations.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Australia if Hetaween 2011 and the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011 are anything to go by:
New Zealand: My indirect wrinkles seem to increase if I'm in Australia too long.
- Dance of Romance: How a part of the fandom immediately interpreted his and Prussia's dancing scene in Hetaween 2011.
- Facial Markings: His tilaka.
- Roll Out the Red Carpet: And not only that, he makes a first appearance worthy of a king, surrounded by beautiful women and sparkles everywhere. Fans were quick to point out that it reminded them of something very appropriate for the country.
- Nice Guy: Aside of the awesome entry he got, he shows genuine concern for Prussia after he's "suplexed" by Germany.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: How he's dressed in Hetaween 2011.
- Spontaneous Choreography: Seems to be really good at pulling those.
Spain: What is this? Is just like a Bollywood movie.