Babylon 5/Fanfic Recs
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Babylon 5 fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Page Reconfiguration in Progress: Fan Fic Recommendations is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropiate category, and to format it according to the template.
Author and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by SAMAS
- Synopsis: During the Drakh assault on Earth, a small but powerful ship of unknown origin arrives and offers their help. Afterwards, Sheridan and Garibaldi are led to a massive ring hidden in the Asteroid field, which pulls them into an alternate Earth hundreds of years in the past.
- Comments: A crossover with Stargate SG-1.
Voices of Babylon: Three Edged Sword by Jarsto van Santen, Edmund Boys and John Keegan.
- Synopsis: Set during the Earth Alliance civil war of 2260 and 2261 the story focuses on events around the break-away colony Orion 7.
- Comments: A massive Audio Drama with a large cast of characters that spawned from the feedback of the Babylon Podcast. Running for the last couple of years it's created an epic story on and around the Orion 7 Colony with Earth Force, Psi-Corps, Narn and the rebels all working with and against each other. If you're a fan of Babylon 5 it's well worth checking out.
The Dilgar War by Lord of Misrule
- Sypnosis: It was the event that started it all. Thirty years before Babylon 5 the Dilgar race launched an Invasion of League space, a war which would cost billions of lives, whole races destroyed and at the end give birth to a new super power - The Earth Alliance.
- Status: Completed on 8/19/08 with 104 chapters and 1,216,226 words. A true Doorstopper.
The Deep Sleep by Laurie M (technically-AU)
- Recommended by Panda Fox
- Synopsis: Garibaldi takes one blow to the head too many and soon finds himself living the life of a hard-boiled detective back on Earth.
- Comments: A truly wonderful tribute to hard-boiled fiction in the vein of Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe. Laurie M nails every detail of the classic detective story from the first-person narration to the slang of the period in this fic. Every member of the main cast and quite a few of the supporting cast members make an appearance in one way or another. Despite being set in the 1940’s/1950’s of New York, the author does a great job of adapting each character’s essential personality to the story and tying them into the plot without making it feel forced. Definitely worth a read for fans of B5 and hardboiled novels. Some romance corresponding to in-canon relationships.
A Fighting Chance, by Lord of Misrule (AU)
- Recommended by EDP
- Synopsis: Set in a continuity where the Dilgar managed to stop Earthforce-League advance at Balos and a reduced Dilgar Imperium survived with Alaca as throneworld. Everything else continues as business, until the disastrous first contact between Earth and the Minbari. And as soon as they hear of this, and before Earth can actually realize how effective the Minbari stealth is, the Dilgar offer Earth blueprints and samples of sensors capable to break the Minbari stealth, giving Earth the one fighting chance it needed.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.