Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Back to the Future (film) Fanfics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in a certain 'fic, based on who recommended it. Authors of fics are not permitted to recommend their own fics; an author shilling his own work via a recommendation he wrote himself lacks the independent point of view which gives a recommendation any value at all; it is also a level of self-promotion that we do not permit at All The Tropes.
Feel free to add a recommendation of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found below. Make sure you sign your recommendation! No-name recommendations may be deleted at other tropers' leisure. Do warn when a fanfic includes sexual situations. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. Likewise, warn if it may head into non-canon territory.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
- Recommended by: Troper Name
- Synopsis: What's the story about? Give here a brief summary of the plot. It would be also useful to point out in what moment of the series the story takes place. If it's a Gen Fic but it has some romantic elements, note here the characters involved too.
- Pairing(s): If it's a Shipping Fic, list here the pairings that feature in the fic (warn here if it's het, male slash or female slash). If it's a Gen Fic, remove this line. To tell the difference between the two, notice if the focus of the fic is on a romantic relationship or if it focuses on the other aspects of the story. In case of doubt, classify the story according to the genres it's been tagged: the Romance tag for Shipping, absence of that tag for Gen Fic.
- Tags: If any are known. This would be things like WAFF, Lemon, Dark Fic, Slash Fic, any Trigger Warnings, etc. This is also where you would put character names with Characterization Tags if doing so would be equally indicative. ("uber!Harry" for Harry Potter, for instance.)
- Comments: If you want to say something more about why you're recommending the fic, but please, keep it brief. We don't want Conversation in the Main Page.
Authors and Websites
Stories which primarily focus on the normal goings on of the cast.
The Almanac Chronicles by Michael2
- recommended by dbz77
- Synopsis: Biff Tannen receives a strange book from a mysterious old man. What does he do with it?
- Recommended by lanky
- Synopsis: Following the events of the Back to The Future trilogy, Marty McFly thinks that he can finally settle down and get on with his life. Too bad there are creatures in the universe with an interest in time travelers and the energy they emit. On the bright side, sometimes all you need is a good Doctor to step in and save the day.
- Comments: Essentially a vehicle to explore the idea of Marty McFly as the Tenth Doctor's companion. What is really fascinating about the whole thing is that Doctor McFly manages to capture the 'voice' of both Marty and the Doctor extraordinarily well, combining the two and generating genuine character interactions which work. With the stories organized into episodes (beginning with Frozen In Time, it makes for a nice, quick read. The author currently plans to write twelve 'episodes' consisting of four or five chapters apiece (and they're into the fourth 'episode' already). Worth a look.
Do Something by squonkfan
- Recommended by Kazeto
- Synopsis: A personal loss leads Marty and Doc to reshape their perspectives of one another.
- Comments: Pre-movie. Really excellent characterization and interaction going on here.
4am, This Letter by ricebol
- Reccomended by azofafora
- Synopsis: Marty spends his first night at the Brown Mansion. Insomnia's an understatement.
- Comments: Takes place during the first movie. Marty tries to write a letter to Doc. Great characterization, and it shows that Marty is a bit smarter than the average teenager.
we can't live in the present forever by ideal_girl
- Recommended by Cass
- Synopsis: Marty wonders if Doc has the same problem; histories overlapping, memories colliding in the space of a single, shared moment. He hopes not.
- Comments: Takes place post-series, a lovely look at living with a headful of memories from a timeline that no longer exists and where Marty goes from there.
In Flux by Kristen Sheley
- recommended by dbz77
- synopsis: Jules and Verne travel to 1982 to catch the premiere of Conan the Barbarian. But when they go back to the future, they find both of they parents dead.
First Impressions by Kristen Sheley
- Recommended by Dynamite XI
- Synopsis: This fic fills in the details of Marty's stay with Doc at the Brown Mansion during the events of Part I, as the two characters try to get used to each other.
- Comments: Kristen Sheley—who is a patron saint of BTTF fan fiction and a published author in her own right—wrote First Impressions as part of a series of interstitial vignettes called "Between-the-Lines" that take their cues from the trilogy's deleted scenes and early script drafts (with a hearty dose of the author's imagination, of course). This one is one of her better ones in terms of character development and storytelling, and it's my personal favorite.
Stories which crossover with other characters or works.
Stories whose primary focus is on romantic or sexual relationships between the cast.
CinderMarty by Flaming Trails
- Recommended by fruitstripegum
- Synopsis: After the death of his parents, Marty McFly found himself at the mercy of his evil stepfamily, the Tannens. But fortunately for him, a royal ball reveals he has a little magic in his life...
- Pairings: Marty/Jennifer, Doc/Clara, George/Lorraine
- Comments: As the title implies, this is a Cinderella story given the Back To The Future treatment. Every major character from the trilogy is here (although there's obviously a few liberties taken with age and family relationships), and there's a couple of Shout Outs thrown in for good measure. All in all, a great fic that is much better than it sounds.
The Future is Past Us by usedusernames
- Recommended by Cass
- Synopsis: AU in which Marty and Doc leave the west early . Sometimes having your present destroyed makes for a better future.
- Pairings: slight Marty/Doc
- Comments: Marty doesn't avert the accident that wrecked his hand, but their knowledge of the possible future lead to both him and Jennifer taking different paths.
- Back to Back to the Future (film)
- please note this includes all sexual activity, not just homosexual or bisexual, including het.
- Reminder - if you want to recommend the fic but not write a review, add your Troper name to this line after the original name