Batman: Under the Red Hood/Tear Jerker
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Near the beginning of the film, when Jason sees the bomb timer, you can see in his eyes that he knows at that moment he's going to die and there's nothing he can do about it. He just squares his shoulders and waits for the end to come.
- The beating itself was just plain hard to watch, not helped by it being how the movie opened. Not many, especially those not on the up to date with Batman mythology, can watch a kid be beaten within an inch of his life like that without at least cringing.
- All the flashbacks involving young Jason, especially the one right at the end when Jason wears the Robin suit for the first time and is really psyched about it.
Young!Jason: This is the best day of my life!
- Alfred's reaction to seeing that Red Hood's blood is a perfect match to Jason's is damn near heartbreaking. Especially since Bruce had never openly voiced his suspicions with anybody.
- The hopelessness of the moment when Jason just sits in a corner while a madman is choking his mentor and a bomb is ticking away to kill them all.
- Two things make this scene all the more heart-breaking. One, when Batman does break out of Joker's grip, the first thing he does is actually reach out to grab Jason, totally ignoring the clown in favor of saving his surrogate son. Two, when the bomb goes off and reduces the building to rubble, Bruce begins to search through the rubble in the vain hope of finding what's left, if anything, of Jason.
- Amazingly enough, the Joker gets one of these moments as well, in the same scene as the previous example. While the Joker is choking Batman he laughs hysterically, with tears in his eyes, that he's finally going to get his wish of dying with Batman.
Joker: I'm the only one whose gonna to get what he wants tonight! Yes! Big bang boom! We all go out together! Don't you just love a happy ending! *laughs/cries hysterically*
- "Why? I'm not talking about killing Penguin or Scarecrow or Dent. I'm talking about him. Just him. And doing it because... Because he took me away from you."
- "I'm sorry."
- Back to Batman: Under the Red Hood