Ben Folds/Tear Jerker
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "Magic". It's particularly touching if you've ever lost someone to a painful disease.
- "Fred Jones, Part 2" is an extremely sad song, which deals with the unfairness of a good man fading away, unremarked on by the universe at large.
- "The Luckiest." That's love, love, love.
- "Don't Change Your Plans" is another one.
- "Kylie From Connecticut" is a great one off his new album that can really get you, especially the heartbreaking cry of the chorus.
- And then there's "Cigarette", which packs a heck of a lot of tragedy into a Single-Stanza Song. Even moreso when you find out it's taken verbatim from a newspaper clipping. Man, can Ben Folds write an incredibly sad song when he wants to (although to give proper credit "Magic" was written by Darren Jessee).
- "Brick". It's especially horrible if you know the backstory.
- Not to mention Ben Folds' simple, personal lament to Smith, "Too Late". *Sigh* "The songs you wrote... got me through a lot, just wanna tell you that... But it's too late."
- "Fighting it" is a song about how teenage years are hard.
- "Picture Window"
- "Evaporated" is a pretty strong tear magnet.
- Carrying Cathy.
- Maybe it's just me, but I find From Above to be depressing as hell. Don't let the catchy tune fool you, just read the lyrics without any musical influence:
It's so easy from above,
- And the music video doesn't help either.