Breath of Fire/Fanfic Recs
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here:
These are recommendations made by Tropers for the Breath of Fire series Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Breath of Fire III: Of Gods and Dragons by Estrelita Farr
- Recommended by Zero Sennin
- Synopsis: A novelization of the third game that plays pretty solidly to the original storyline while adding in some fresh ideas and covering some plot holes.
- Comments: Nicely written, clear, and lacking in plot holes. A good read for fans of the series.
Let Sleeping Dragons Lie by worenx
- Recommended by The Tamborine Man
- Synopsis: BREATH OF FIRE II: Ryu is trying to catch some Z's, but his friends are making it really difficult.
- Comments: Short, but rather funny.
BenevolentMonsters by Angelkitty1
- Recommended by Bobfrank
- Synopsis: Original Breath of Fire story. A rather innocent Princess Nina finds a young blue-haired man sealed away in an ancient chamber beneath the castle. When she awakens Ryu, the Kaiser within him infects her too, turning her wings black, marking her as a Harbinger of Impending Doom according to an ancient prophecy.
- Comments: Angelkitty1 Sure likes her Ryus dark and Badass. This is not a kids' story by any means, but it's quite good. Still in progress.
Dragonwar Legacy by Anthony Peers
- Recommended by Bobfrank
- Synopsis:' Not exactly a Breath of Fire story, but a Homage to the series. Set in a world filled with Petting Zoo People, the blue-haired Foundling Ryan appears to be fully human, with no Totem to give him an animal form... until it's discovered that he's a Dragon-totem, of the ancient protectors who turned against humanity in the terrible Dragonwar.
- Comments: Still in progress, and fairly early in the story. A very interesting take on the Breath of Fire concept. Ryan's Dragon Blade is kind of a Green Lantern Ring, and Nicole (the Nina-analogue) is not a princess, and is actually cast in an antagonistic role. Worth following to see how it turns out...
Breath of Fire II: War Of The Demons by Magus523
- Recommended by Kishou
- Synopsis: A novelization of the second game. As a child, Ryu has lost his family and no one remembers him. When he and his new friend Bow runaway, they run into (and almost get killed by) the demon Barubary. However, fate would shine upon him, as the demon and the dragon god's disciples watch and wait for the moment his fated decision will decide everything...
- Comments: Breath of Fire 2 novelizations are quite common in the fandom, but this goes above and beyond because of the sheer detail and creative liberties in the story retelling. The dialogue is witty, the combat is quick and tense, and it leaves you begging for more. Highly recommended.
Breath of Fire: War of the Dragons by Magus 523
- Recommended by Handsome Rob
- Synopsis: A novelization of the first game. A young Light Dragon named Ryu must face his destiny when the Black Dragon clan seeks to revive the Godess Myria.
- Comments: Before there was War of the Demons, there was this. Magus 523 has yet to dissapoint in any of his novelizations, and the prequel to the above story is no exception. If you've never played the first Breath of Fire, this story will explain a-lot of details that readers would have missed out on if they started reading War of the Demons first. It also makes every single member Badass.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.