Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Recap/S7/E16 Storyteller
"We are as gods!"
Andrew documents life for the Slayer and her friends. Meanwhile, Buffy needs to find out how to close the Seal of Danzalthar permanently before it turns Sunnydale High into a war zone.
This was the last appearance for both Jonathan and Warren.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Anya complains about Andrew hogging the toilet for half an hour. When she discovers he's making a documentary she says, "Why can't you just masturbate like the rest of us?"
- A Day in the Limelight: Andrew
- Aside Glance: Buffy winks at the camera during the 'commercial' scene.
- After-Action Patchup: Buffy patching up Wood's head wound.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Turns out everyone hates them instead.
- The Big Board: Andrew uses his whiteboard for exposition.
- Big No / My God, What Have I Done?: Andrew claimed he said these after killing Jonathan.
- Blank White Eyes / Evil Sounds Deep: Wood possessed by the Seal.
- Book Ends: Andrew's bathroom monologues.
- Brand X
- Breather Episode: The last comic episode in the series.
- Brick Joke: The pig from "Sleeper" and The Cheese man from "Restless".
- The anti-cheerleader graffiti.
Buffy: It's like all the Hellmouth's energy is trying to escape in that one little spot, and it's getting all—
Buffy: Careful. You're starting to speak like me now.
- Captain Obvious: After encountering various chaos outside, Buffy enters Wood's office to find him holding an ice pack against his head, after having a rock thrown at him.
Buffy: Something is going on today.
Wood: Yes, well, um, that occurred to me as I ducked the other two rocks.
- Casual Kink: Xander and Anya have sex on Spike's bed (take that you evil bloodsucking fiend!) and complain that it's too bad Buffy took away Spike's chains.
- Catch the Conscience
- Circling Monologue: Buffy confronting Andrew in the basement.
- Comically Missing the Point: Andrew assumes Spike and Robin trading insults is a sign of Belligerent Sexual Tension.
- Continuity Porn: Thanks to the Seal, everything Buffy dealt with in Sunnydale High in the first few season starts happening at once - e.g, a girl turning invisible because no-one notices her. Buffy also mentions the swim team monsters and killer prom dogs to Robin.
- Conversation Cut
Andrew: (talking to Buffy in the graveyard) But the story needs--
(Hauled out of the bathroom by Anya) --to be told!
- Credits Gag: The monster of the Mutant Enemy Productions logo, instead of saying his famous "Grr, argh!", sings "We are as gooooooods!!!"
- Andrew says "Grrr, Arghh!" at once point, so they must have swopped lines.
- Daydream Surprise: The Teaser opens with Andrew giving a Masterpiece Theater introduction, then when Anya hammers on the door he's revealed to be sitting on the toilet.
- Dissimile: "Buffy and Spike have some kind of history. You can feel the heat between them. Although, technically, as a vampire, he's room temperature."
- Distracted by the Sexy: Willow snuggles with Kennedy during Buffy's Rousing Speech.
- Also "A bus to where?"
- Documentary Episode: Managed to make Andrew's pre-existing inclination to fantasizing plot-relevant and use it for hilarious deconstruction of the other regulars at the same time.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Andrew interviews Anya and Xander, and ends up acting like a marriage counsellor. Also the cereal commercial scene.
- Andrew's video resembles badly-written fanfiction, especially with the blatant shipping.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Andrew and Jonathan in Mexico.
- Easily Forgiven: Kennedy is back with Willow -- then again that could just be because she likes making out with her. Or because it's sweeps week.
- Erotic Eating: Anya eating cherries.
- Eye Scream
- Failed Attempt At Drama: They're out of raisin bran.
- Fake Video Camera View: Sometimes we see the red "REC" with the frame, when Andrew is recording something. Other times they show a green "PLAY" when he's reviewing video he shot earlier.
- Flashback Echo: Plenty -- subverted with Andrew remembering his confrontation with Dark!Willow.
- Foreshadowing: Wood's attempt to kill Spike for "Lies My Parents Told Me".
- Girl-On-Girl Is Hot: Andrew brings his video camera into Buffy's living room to find Willow and Kennedy kissing on the couch. He comments that this is hot - and turns his camera to the window repair work recently done by Xander to which he was referring.
- Good Is Not Nice: Andrew asks if Buffy would have spilled his blood if the tears didn't work. Buffy doesn't answer.
- Buffy tells Spike not to kill the possessed students. Spike just says, "They'll live" and continues beating them up.
- Hate Plague: Created by the Seal of Danzalthar.
- The Heart: Xander of course.
- Homoerotic Subtext
- Imagine Spot: "We are goooods!"
- In the Back / Conveniently-Timed Attack From Behind: Wood tries to stake Spike while his back is turned, only to be tackled by a possessed student.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: "It was cold last night, and the wind was crew-ell, but the Slayer had a job to do."
- Knife Struggle: One of the alternate versions of Jonathan's death.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall
- Made of Evil: "This whole thing is being orchestrated by something called 'The First'. It's made up of all the evil in the whole world."
- Man of Wealth and Taste / Masterpiece Theatre
- Mundane Utility / Squick: Using the sacrificial knife as a steak knife.
- Mysterious Past / Mad Scientist / Badass in a Nice Suit
- Not So Above It All: Spike only pretends to not like being video taped.
- "Not Wearing Pants" Dream
- Ominous Latin Chanting
- Redemption Equals Death: Defied, but Andrew still thinks he deserves death at the end.
- Rousing Speech: Spoofed -- Andrew ducks out of the room when Buffy starts going into another soliloquy, noting that they can go on for some time. A few minutes later he looks to see if Buffy has finished -- she's still going on and even Willow is trying to hide a yawn.
- Self-Serving Memory: When Andrew tries to justify killing Jonathan, we see various flashbacks which differ wildly as he changes his version of events. This prompts Buffy to point out indignantly that he has just completely changed his story.
- Shipper on Deck: Andrew happily ships Buffy/Spike, Willow/Kennedy, Anya/Xander, and Wood/Spike. Subverted in that Andrew completely misreads the last two pairings.
- Slow Motion / Light Is Good / Dramatic Wind / Hair Flip
- Smash to Black: The episode ends with Andrew turning off the camera.
- Smoking Is Cool: Andrew lights a pipe and starts coughing.
- Special Edition Title
- The Storyteller
- Swiss Army Tears
- Tears of Remorse: After several attempts to justify the murder of Jonathan, Andrew breaks down crying as he realizes he killed his only true friend in cold blood.
- Sweeps Week Lesbian Kiss
- Tempting Fate: Buffy shh's Wood because the crazy students might hear him. Wood points out that they're all the way down the corridor, only for a student to step out from behind a locker and hit him in the face with a fire extinguisher.
- Title Drop / Phantasy Spelling: "Buffy, Slayer of the Vampyrs". Andrew actually pronounces "Vampyr" slightly differently to make the point, putting the stress on the second syllable rather than the first.
- Trashcan Bonfire: Inside a trashed Sunnydale High for no apparent reason.
- Unreliable Narrator
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Spoofed with Andrew's fantasy scene; Spike (who'd been fully dressed a moment before) walks into frame shirtless and starts making out with Buffy.
- Why Don't You Just Stake Him?: Averted; Wood tries to stake Spike the moment he sees an opening.
- Your Head Asplode: The Hellmouth is making metaphors become literal truths; this includes a student whose head literally explodes from stress, splattering against the window of Principal Wood's office.