- Contemplate Our Navels: Can persocoms feel, even though they only act out of human programming? Can a human and persocom love each other? Does such love mean anything if it's just programming? And whether they can love or not, what do such relationships mean for society as a whole?
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The ED sounds like Queen led by a small Japanese girl.
- Ear Worm: Doo doo do doo yeah. Doo doo do doo yeah. Doo doo do doo Let me be with you.
- Freud Was Right: Freya has an Electra Complex. She fell in love with her own father/creator, choosing him as "the someone just for her," and felt very sad seeing him spending time with her mother.
- Les Yay: With Chi's other self, her twin sister Freya.
- Memetic Mutation:
"Gentlemen! I have made love to this machine! And now, upon retrospect, I ask, WHY?!"
- Moe: Oh, Chi...
- Squick: Your tolerance for this series probably depends on how seriously you think about the Unfortunate Implications discussed below. Some would call the entire premise of the series quite disturbing.
- Chi looks sixteen, acts like she's eight years old, and has No Nudity Taboo. It makes every moment of her nudity that much more awkward.
- Chi's relationship with Hideki is played up as being "pure" and "innocent", but Chi is still heavily dependent on Hideki for many things, not to mention as naive as a child. More often than not, they're more like Father and Daughter than anything else.
- A lot of Chi's clothes come from Ms. Hibiya because Chi/Elda and Freya were built by her husband to be their surrogate daughters since she was infertile. It begs the question of why she and her husband had Chi and Freya to wear some blatantly sexual clothes that show off their breasts and panties so much.
- Minoru is 12, seems not to have parents, and is such a genius he knows how to build persocoms. Yuzuki is in a super modest maid's costume. His other four persocoms...are all busty women dressed in maid outfits so fetish they're essentially in bras or corsets with garter belts and a frilly apron. Minoru tells Hidelki they're "only computers" and not to get so aroused, nor that they put out. Why...did he build and dress them like sexy fetish maids in the first place?
- Probably for the reaction he gets out of guys like Hideki. He may have considered the whole thing an elaborate prank.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Just try to watch the opening sequence twice in the same day.
- The ending themes also can have shades of this.
- Tear Jerker: The story of Ueda's persocom.
- Unfortunate Implications:
AllMost Persocoms are attractive women (male models can be seen here and there, and are mentioned more than once). Designed to be all-purpose servants. The pronounced gender-line probably has something to do with the fact that in Japan robots are seen as inherently feminine, unless noted otherwise - because they're created to serve. Yeah...
- There's also the fact that Chii's "on" switch is located in her vaginal region.
- And the fact that although Hideki is clueless, and his landlady is not, nobody offers to help get Chii's programming sorted out so she doesn't ever progress beyond talking/reasoning like a little girl. Yet she falls in love and Hideki reciprocates.
- And that totals to at least three characters falling in love or marrying their Persocoms! Yeah.
- The Woobie:
Chi and SumomoMost of the female casts to varying degrees.
- And Minoru.
- Back to Chobits