Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for EarthBound Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in a certain 'fic, based on who recommended it.
Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found below. Make sure you sign your recommendation! No-name recommendations may be deleted at other tropers' leisure. Do warn when a fanfic includes sexual situations. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. Likewise, warn if it may head into non-canon territory.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
- Recommended by: Troper Name
- Synopsis: What's the story about? Give here a brief summary of the plot. It would be also useful to point out in what moment of the series the story takes place. If it's a Gen Fic but it has some romantic elements, note here the characters involved too.
- Pairing(s): If it's a Shipping Fic, list here the pairings that feature in the fic (warn here if it's het, male slash or female slash). If it's a Gen Fic, remove this line. To tell the difference between the two, notice if the focus of the fic is on a romantic relationship or if it focuses on the other aspects of the story. In case of doubt, classify the story according to the genres it's been tagged: the Romance tag for Shipping, absence of that tag for Gen Fic.
- Tags: If any are known. This would be things like WAFF, Lemon, Dark Fic, any Trigger Warnings, etc. This is also where you would put character names with Characterization Tags if doing so would be equally indicative. ("uber!Harry" for Harry Potter, for instance.)
- Comments: If you want to say something more about why you're recommending the fic, but please, keep it brief. We don't want Conversation in the Main Page.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Fallen by Martin Tovar (matilda_caboose)
- Recommended by Kalle
- Synopsis: A Dark Fic (or rather, comic) showing just how real and tragic the consequences of Ness's actions have become. After committing so many offenses in the name of defeating Giygas, can Ness be redeemed?
- Comments: Penned for Starmen.net's annual Halloween Funfest, this entry deserves all the praise it gets for taking the common "Game Over" scenario and turning it into something completely heartbreaking.
- Recommended by dompeace23
- Synopsis: Cave Story/Earthbound crossover in which Ness and Co. are warped to the Cave Story universe during the final battle with Giygas due to a mistake on Pokey's part. Now they must work together to save both universes.
- Comments: Interesting concept. Above average writing and neatly utilizes the original game dialog. Features plenty of quality action. A great read.
Fobbies Are Borange by Stephen Georg (xfisjmg1), Martin Tovar (matilda_caboose), Benjamin Carignan (Katon), Lewahi, and Chaz Estell (BlackLeader)
- Recommended by Shaon
- Synopsis: Technically a fan radio play, but still. Retells the story of Earthbound by adding some rather demented Character Development (or undevelopment, in the case of Jeff) to the otherwise Heroic Mime characters and some bizarre subplots involving sweet tea.
- Comments: Considered by many to be the most epic undertaking by the fandom; formerly preformed live over Radio PSI.
- Recommended by Sparky Lurkdragon
- Synopsis - A fanmade comic adaptation of Earthbound.
- Comments: Absolutely phenominal execution. It's every bit as funny, strange, and at times scary as the game, with tons of Adaptation Expansion and pretty much no Adaptation Decay. As of this writing still in progress - you can follow the forum thread and get some very interesting author's notes here.
- Recommended by Lady B
- Synopsis: Giygas is defeated but Poo does not return to his body and nobody knows how to bring him back. Poo had never really understood the purpose of his Mu training until now.
- Comments: A really interesting idea. Expands a little bit on the universe without turning Grimdark, like some of the fanwork tends to turn. I personally don't care for how Poo is characterized, but the idea makes up for it. Also, an interesting take on the origin of the Absolutely Safe Capsule.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Stories told by altering the game itself.
- Recommended by Inyarear
- Synopsis: This is mostly the same story as the original, but now with the girl heading up the party and the boy as her second. (Also, the Dalaamese Prince from EarthBound has been swapped out for a Dalaamese Princess and shipped with the geek, Tony is now Jewish, and Pokey/Porky's replacement looks suspiciously similar to Michael Moore.)
- Comments: The Author himself serves as a kind of Marty Stu narrator in a few areas, but never makes any physical appearance in the game; it also portrays The Player (you) as a kind of Mary Sue and itself as a kind of Self-Insert Fic (which arguably applies to almost any RPG). Play for a bit of ego-stroking, stay for some rather interesting insights on God, destiny, free will, religion, and how to pronounce Giygas' name. That would be "Gee-eye-gus" if this game is to be believed.
- please note this includes all sexual activity, not just homosexual or bisexual, including het.
- Reminder - if you want to recommend the fic but not write a review, add your Troper name to this line after the original name