Elfen Lied/Fanfic Recs
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Elfen Lied fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
Nana's Everyday Life by D-aniel Kim. (AU)
- Recommended by Muninn
- Synopsis: No longer of any use to anybody, Nana (sans several limbs) ends up alone on the streets, trying to survive in a cruel world. Nana's Everyday Life chronicles the triumphs and pitfalls of the struggles that our titular character faces. Mostly the pitfalls, though.
- Comments: Technically a fan-comic. Is rather infamous for being noticeably darker than the source material that it is based on. Contains blood and nudity, and is thus not safe for Work or children/teens. Guest starring are the girls of the Italian Social Welfare Agency.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Angel of Massacre by Numbnut10
- Recommended by LSSJ2 Gohan
- Synopsis: Elsewhere Fic about a sixteen year old male diclonius named Michael Mordare, the first diclonius born in America. The story is set two years after the events of Elfen Lied, with the occasional Shout-Out to its events. Michael Mordare has been raised by his human parents, completely unaware of his mutant powers. Then suddenly his family comes under attack by an American Diclonius facility, leaving Michael as the only survivor. Michael swears revenge and begins his Start of Darkness. He also develops a sadistic Split Personality who encourages Michael to Kill All Humans as part of an Evil Plan. Meanwhile, the facility puts Noah Brimstrome, in charge of Michael's capture.
- The readers get not one, not two, but three sides of the story. Most of the story is from Michael's Point of View, but there are chapters dedicated to Noah Brimstrome's side of the story. Then we get a third, almost unconnected, view from a female homicide detective named Jessica Hawker. Every character lends their own perspective in the story.
- The cast is entirely full of original characters, each one with an easily definable character flaw. There is an incredible amount of foreshadowing. The relationship between Michael Mordare and his Split Personality is defined as a "loath-hate relationship". Think Jekyll and Hyde except replace Jekyll with Hyde and Hyde with even more Hyde.
- Now with it's very own page!
- Recommended by Maiko2853
- Synopsis: The story takes place a while after the final episode of the Anime ended. What follows is a much lighter version of Elfen Lied. The author of the series literately pulls out of the stops as he turns Elfen Lied into a true harem anime comedy.
- Keithallen really goes the extra length to make this Elfen Lied story much lighter and softer than the original. Sadly, it can be a little hard to find believable at many points with how perfect the storyline is. However, I still think it's a good read. The characters are well developed and rounded. Not to mention actually seeing something good happen to the diclonius for once is what really sells the story. I strongly recommend that fellow tropers should check it out. - Maiko2853
- Recommended by LKB
- "Synopsis": This is probably what Elfen Lied would look like if it had a second Season. The later part of the manga is adapted, but there are notable divergences, and a somewhat different ending.
- A good story, and adaptation. The author did a lot of work o this, finding songs to go with the mood, casting preview paragraphs, and even Omakes. It adapts the material seen in the manga and not in the Anime, but (like the anime) it takes liberties in characters, and their fates. The divergences make this a very good read, and it's recommended to fans of the Manga and the Anime.
Stories that possess the original tragic and horrifying darkness that is Elfen Lied.
- Recommended by Maiko2853
- Summary: And so... she died without knowing a single good thing that the world had to offer.
- Synopsis: A tragic one-shot about the life of Number Twenty-Eight.
Stories focused on the series being crossed over with one or several other series.
Nana's New Life, by The Goddamn Duck
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Synopsis: Based on Nana's Everyday Life. Two friends out for a drink discover Nana's near-lifeless corpse in an abandoned alley and take drastic steps to remedy the situation. Snatched from death's door, Nana awakens to discover that karma has finally started paying up what he owes her, beginning with her new "family", a group of just-slightly-insane mercenaries known as Red Team.
- Comments: A bizarre and wonderful blend of drama, comedy, and Crowning Moments Of Heartwarming brought to you by Heavy, Scout, Sniper, Demoman, and the rest of the crew. If Nana's Everyday Life made you cry, then this fic will make you stand up and cheer.
Worthy, by Belisarius
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Synopsis: Sometimes we run out of second chances... but sometimes we don't. On the edge of life and death, the Powers That Be grant Lucy one last chance to prove herself worthy of a happy ending by dropping her face-first into the Underdark of Faerun... and right into the laps of the drow.
- Comments: A well-written but short crossover that gives Lucy a much-needed chance to Earn Her Happy Ending. Unfortunately that's the main reason I recommend it; the execution suffers a little because Belisarius tries to take what should be a long and arduous story of atonement and compress it down into a bit more than 13,000 words; as it stands, Lucy's redemption epiphany feels very rushed and artificial. Still, if you're looking for a happy ending for Lulu, you'll definitely find one here.
- Well now I feel guilty for never continuing this. I will say this: There's a reason it felt cheap, and Lucy's naive idea that you can simply decide to no longer be evil comes back to bite her and her unwitting companions in the ass. Hard.
- Comartemis: Make sure it stays unfinished then. Cheap or not, the Good End is the only real selling point this fic has.
- Recommended by Tar Amandil
- Synopsis: An Elfen Lied/Code Geass Crossover. Lelouch first met Lucy when they were ten years old—a meeting that he no longer remembers. He's remained in the royal family ever since. Seven years later, they meet again in Area Eleven just as Lelouch is about to launch his bid for the throne...
- Comments: The author does a good job meshing the two plots together, although he (she?) focuses less on the rest of the cast (noticeably C.C.) than I'd like. Despite this, the chapters "written" by Lelouch are pretty good at imitating his thought process, and Lucy's Mood Whiplash from lovestruck teenage girl to sociopathic mass murderer are quite entertaining. R-1 just finished.
A Place To Belong, by Lord of The Land of Fire
- Recommended by Mrdrprofessor4
- Synopsis: Rosario + Vampire/Elfen Lied Crossover. Lucy is imprisoned in the testing facility. One day, the Exorcist/Chairman appears and gives her a second chance at life. He breaks Lucy out and brings her to Youkai Academy, a school for monsters, like her. The Chairman then brings Kouta to the academy while keeping the fact that he is human a secret, much like the way Tsukune was (making Kouta something like his predecessor). This takes place as a prequel to Rosario + Vampire, as familiar graduates of the school in the manga are still students at this time, and the main cast of Rosario + Vampire make a few cameos as younger kids. The story most certainly has darker parts to it though, involving Karama trying to recapture Lucy, and the death Kouta's sister and dad.
- Comments: I don't think the synopsis I wrote really does it justice, cause it's a lot better than I made it sound. Of the thousands of fanfics for any fiction I have come across, this is only the second one I’ve ever enjoyed enough to read all the way through. Lucy and Kouta are the main focus of the story of course, but the supporting characters were also well put together. It reuses familiar characters and settings, but it's plot is entirely original. Its not a copy and paste of either animes, and it is very intelligently written. I was very surprised this wasn't already on this page.
- Status: Unknown, hasn't been updated for two years.
- Recommended by Michael Maltani
- Synopsis: Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Less than a few days after the final episode of the anime, the First Encounter Assault Recon Team is assigned to find and either apprehend or terminate Lucy, but they realize they signed up for more than they thought. One thing leads to another, and shit hits the fan really fast. The sequel follows twelve years later in Fairport, when a certain diclonius Lucy's daughter breaks out of the A.T. Corporation facility and all hell is about to be let loose...
- Comments: Although the first half of the story is short and sweet, it keeps most (if not all) the disturbing factors from both series.
- Recommended by rottenvenetic
- Each installment consists of seven very short, laconic stories, little more than paragraphs. Almost all of them are crossovers and they are very entertaining. Some are downright hilarious.
- Here's Set 5, with 132! new ones.
- Thanks for the rec from the author himself! (BTW, Set 5 does a separate AU for each and all 107 manga chapters, with 26 different concluding AU's)
Elfen Lied: Children Of Destruction by LSSJ2 Gohan
- Recommended by Gojirob
- Teenage Dragon Ball Z hero Son-Gohan flees the destruction of his world and somehow, along with Goten, ends up on the same beach where Kouta and Yuka find Lucy. A dark take on the half-Saiyan emerges, as he seamlessly becomes a part of that world, even though he ends up altering events a little here and there. This Gohan is scarred and a bit lost—which means he fits right in at Maple House. Some teen shipping, some squick, and yes, a battle with Lucy. Still in progress, and it is progress worth waiting on.
- Now with an entry on This Very Wiki. The author is thankful.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.