Enjuhneer is a slice of life comedic webcomic drawn by Jenny Blanchard. It is set in the fictional school of Enjuhneer Institute of Technology which is based off of the actual college Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The author attended RPI and so many of the characters and places draw inspiration from the campus itself as well as from the people the author knew while there.
The main character, Penny, enters EIT as a freshman and quickly finds herself in the middle of nerd culture. She meets a wide variety of characters, including a non-militant hardcore femenist, an invisible roommate, LARPers, and a guy who sneaks into the room just to play video games. Overall the cast is about what you'd expect from a nerd culture at a tech school. The comic is generally gag-a-day with occasional multi-strip arcs and a few asides where the author talks about things happening in her real life. The strip updates Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
The author actually created a (kind of) fully functional website for the school, complete with course listings, which can be viewed here.
A character sheet is now in progress, please add to it
Tropes used include:
- Alpha Bitch: The recent story arc involving Wiredwolf's past has a girl who is actually named Libby. She fits the Trope scarily well.
- Alt Text
- Animesque: Parodied when Kali considered cosplaying as people's emotions at a con.
- Art Evolution: The art style has changed two or three times, most notably the shift to color.
- Author Avatar: Penny of course.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Done more frequently at the beginning, but still occasionally used for a quick joke.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: Julian's LARP costume features a variation on this where the coat is replaced with a cape. And the hat has bunny ears.
- Con Recap
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Kali has an Alphonse Elric costume. As in his armor. The reaction is great...
- Distracted by the Sexy: The only way to get a gamer away from Portal 2.
- Droste Image: Here.
- Education Through Pyrotechnics: Apparently Pocky doesn't react well to time machines...
- This has seriously damaged the space-time continuum around the university. Among other things, people stay the same age for an entire year before abruptly "upgrading."
- Faceless Masses: They're primarily male, and most of the major characters are female, so they're all silhouettes marked with Mars symbols.
- Gamer Chick: Several. Most notably Kali.
- Hammerspace: The Bucket of Holding
- Homage: Several for xkcd and other webcomics.
- Invisibility: Played with repeatedly with Kali the invisible roommate.
- Kill Sat: For launching marshmallows.
- LARP: Several of the characters participate.
- Life Embellished
- Luminescent Blush: Penny has done this several times now.
- Noodle Incident: This strip
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Wiredwolf shifts whenever she's angry (and, once, when she needed a Halloween costume.) Post-Plot-Relevant Age-Up, she has wolf ears (and tail) even in human form.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Raise your hand if you have ever rolled dice to determine where you go in a mall...
- Rickroll: Here.
- Slice of Life
- Speech-Impaired Animal: Tails, and played with once by Wiredwolf.
- Subject 101: Check out EIT's website.
- Wacky College: More or less the premise, though more silly than actually abnormal.
- Webcomic Time: lampshaded in this strip.
- Write Who You Know: Most of the characters are based off of people the author knows.