The series often takes potshots at the source material and its fanbase. It is most notable for referring to this wiki.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The AT Field. Lampshaded by Gendo.
Stunned Military Guy: What, how'd it live?
- The Abridged Series
- Berserk Button: See Butt Monkey
- Big Book of War: Given a Shout-Out when Ritsuko happens upon Misato agonizing over stacks of paperwork and quips: "So, how's the Big Book of War, Zapp?"
- Butt Monkey: Rei and Misato refer to Shinji as this. He'll show them he isn't one.
- Catch Phrase: "OH GOD WHY?!"
- Cloudcuckoolander: Misato has her moments:
"Pen-Pen could totally cause the apocalypse..."
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Lampshaded by Gendo:
Aoba: Another cross attack!? Why!?
- Deadpan Snarker: Pretty much everyone, especially Gendo.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud??: Gendo's an evil bastard and he loves it. Good thing he doesn't know whether he's thinking or talking.
- Did You Actually Believe?: Misato laughs at Shinji for believing that Second Impact was caused by a meteor.
- Fan Service: Episode 2 has a counter for this. It features Nono.
- Fail O'Suckyname:
Misato: Now if you'll sign these papers, we'll install the power cord on the-"
- Foreshadowing: Regarding Toji's death, Episode 9:
Toji: You know, we been getting a lot of screen time lately.
- Also, when Shinji wakes up in the hospital, and Rei is there:
Shinji: Ayanami? Have you been here the whole time?
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Excellent example of the writers having fun with this trope in Episode 7.
(Text appears on screen for exactly one second as bumper) The Next Day which is stupid if you realize that Episode 5 and 6 took place in the span of one day. yet this piece of crapisode takes 2 whole days to finis- UNPAUSE THE VIDEO! STOP READING THIS!
- Genre Savvy: Gendo notes that giant robots are useful in a mecha anime.
- Particularly against giant monsters.
- In fact, just about everyone is this, just Gendo especially. Everyone except Shinji that is.
- Insistent Terminology: They're "N2 mines," not nukes.
Misato: What's the difference?
- Intercontinuity Crossover: Episode 4 crosses over with FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Diebuster and Black Lagoon.
- Large Ham: Shinji's Pre-Mortem One-Liner in episode 6.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: According to Asuka, Eva unit 02 is red because that makes it three times as fast as the others.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Shinji calls Asuka a Leeroy in Episode 9.
- Leet Speak: Misato suggests using Leet Speak as part of Jet Alone's current password "hope". Among the suggestions are h0p3 and |-|0p3. She then describes the guy who came up with the password as 2 Du M8 2 liV3.
- Mistaken Identity: In Episode 8, Misato describes Asuka as having "long, red hair, a great figure and a personality you'll die from." All the boys can imagine is Yoko Littner.
- My Friends and Zoidberg: Fuyutsuki's Crowning Moment of Funny at the end of episode 4:
Gendo: ...Instead we get this incomprehensible cacophony of in-studio crossovers that barely resembles a plot.
- My Name Is Not Durwood: In episode 1, Gendo mistakes Shinji for Naota, then Simon.
- Naughty Tentacles: Touji points out how likely Shinji is to get "pwned" by an angel with laser tentacles considering him being a Bishonen.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: In Episode 9, Misato combines every battle plan they have worked with thus far in order to defeat an angel. She calls it Operation Battleship With Huge Cannon Shooting Laser Knives.
- No Fourth Wall: If it is there, it's on life support.
- Nuke'Em: The government's idea to take down the Angel after aerial bombardment fails is an N2 mine, just like in the original series. Gendo calls them out on it.
- Only Sane Man: Shinji, when he's not wangsting (or being uncharacteristically Hot-Blooded), tends act like this.
Shinji: Seriously, one good leg sweep!
- Otaku: Asuka loves Mecha perhaps a little too much. Don't make a Kamen Rider reference and say it's a Mecha franchise.
- Overused Copycat Character: Rei says this about herself.
- Schedule Slip: The tagline for Konataproduction is "Parodies: New every 6 months."
- Shout-Out: TV Tropes, most notably.
Rei (to Shinji): To be more specific, you fit so many negative tropes that they have to break your fragile mind twenty episodes earlier.
- Run!!! It's
- The Lagoon Company gets hired to protect Shinji from Haruko... In America!!!
- "My name is Touji Suzuhara. You killed my screentime. Prepare to die!".
- Try to name an episode where they don't reference a mecha anime.
- "This gun of ours is burning hot! Its loud hum tells us to grasp victory! Take this, our hopes, our dreams, and all of our sorrows! ERUPTING BURSTING CANNON!"
- Episode 8: Asuka's German startup sequence in Episode 8 is translated to "Cast in the name of God..."
- Episode 9: "It's still better than orgasm powered mechas."
- Episode 9: Asuka emulating Sanger Zonvolt.
- The show also has a habit of using bits and pieces of the soundtrack of different anime series, such as Haruhi Suzumiya and Hayate the Combat Butler.
- This troper immediately noticed Makoto Yoshimori's highly underrated soundtrack to Baccano!. "In The Speak Easy" introduces Episode 5. When Misato describes Asuka in episode 8, the intro to "Abikyoukan no Kurutta Butai" plays. Shinji listens to the Main Theme, "Nagai Nagai Yume no Naka no Utage" on his cassette player. In addition, "Letter Memory" seems to be some sort of Love Theme throughout the series.
- In episode 7 the "Top Secret File" on NERV has "Kittens with spikes make me mad!" written on it. This is a reference to Red vs. Blue, where aforementioned spiky kittens are a major Berserk Button for Caboose.
- Episode three has a lot of classified information.
- I'm not a major yet, or a cybrog
- In episode 5, Unit 00 gets Caramelldansen'd AND Rickroll'd and, during The Stinger, it is banging its head on the wall yelling GODDAMNITSHIT!!
- Episode 6 has Pokemon hospitals complete with in-game sound effects.
- Run!!! It's
- Temporal Paradox: Kamina pulls one off in Episode 4
Kamina:Anyone who isn't with me has to eat Nia's cooking! (Everybody in room stands and pumps their fists for Kamina)
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: The abridged episode discusses how stupid a password "hope" is for a walking nuclear bomb.
- Troperiffic: To the point of Trope Overdosed.
- All the Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary: Rei speaks mostly trope.
- Who Writes This Crap?: Quoted word-for-word by Misato in episode 7.