Feathers and Mountain Air
It tells the story of a young man called Ancell, who is of a beautiful winged species that people mistake for angels: The Emphyraes. His life is rather peaceful, but lately his peace has been disturbed by one of the things he very likely dislikes the most; a human child has entered his life without asking and is now trying to befriend him. Meanwhile, a Sevgimoren called Deimos discovers an illegal halfbreed, Cecily. The two lonely creatures form a friendship, and Deimos swears to fulfill one of Cecily's biggest wishes: Finding true love. Neither parties know that as the feelings of love and friendship get deeper, the deeper they are in trouble...
The story is originally written in Finnish and is being translated to English by the author. It can be read at the author's Deviant Art site.
WARNING: As the series is still a huge WIP, this page and the character sheet may be considered unmarked spoilers.
- Alien Blood: Emphyraes have golden-yellow blood, Gaxanrias have blue blood, and the Caleonoxes have green blood that varies from limegreen to teal-ish depending on the individual and glows in the dark with the intensity depending on life force and energy. Sevgimori and other critters have mostly red blood, though.
- Alternate Timeline: The short story Why Am I Still Crying is this to the main series.
- The Archer: Most of the Sevgimori use bows and arrows to pair people, Cupid-style.
- Because Destiny Says So: The reason Sevgimori don't have romantic relationships before the age of 50 (about 25-30 in human age) is because they're waiting for the lover they are destined to.
- Depopulation Bomb: The Eight War of Feathers that ended a few year before most of the sevgimoren characters (About 50 year olds) were born. Ended in their Pyrrhic Victory thanks to skilled diplomacy.
- Fangs Are Evil: Emphyraes. Subverted with the fact that not all of them are evil. They're also paired with Pointy Ears and Femme Fatalons (even for the guys)
- Fantastic Racism: The Emphyraes towards Sevgimori and vice versa. Then again, Emphyraes aren't exactly friendly to anything that isn't their species.
- Fantastic Slurs: And of course, the Emphyraes call the smaller winged species blackwings and refer to their wings as dirty in many ways.
- Hermaphroditic One-Gender Race: Gaxanrias. The one Gaxanrian character, Kamyll, causes much confusion in characters of other species.
- Hopeless War: Pretty much any war between the two winged species, and there have been many of them.
- Invisibility: Having this ability turns the job of the Sevgimori so much easier. Too bad the Emphyraes can still notice their presence strongly with their predatory senses, and see them completely in hunt mode.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Exactly... Divided into Cast Herds of sorts, but it's still a huge amount.
- Masquerade: Along with their invisibility, the Sevgimori can also hide their wings to appear like short humans. And the Emphyraes are holding most of the human race in a belief that they're actually angels and not dangerous at all...
- The Matchmaker: All the Sevgimori.
- Match Maker Quest: Deimy trying to pair Ancell and Cecily together is a major plotpoint.
- Nakama: The main four(Ancell, Cecily, Deimos and Epsylon)form this. Later Gilana and Niati join in.
- Official Couple: Ancell and Cecily are the main one, while Epsylon and Deimos end up together much later. There's also Nervenn/Chu'si and less prominently Tialdre/ Vixenne and Seventhias/Lilinea.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Actually it's in ancient Emphyrae language, but their war choir's singing and chanting is not any less ominous.
- Older Than They Look: Both Sevgimori and Emphyraes age slower than humans, Sevgimori aging even slower and in a different pace. A 30-year-old Sevgimoren appears like a 17-year-old human, while 30-year-old Emphyraes seem to be about in their twenties.
- Our Angels Are Different: Well, Emphyraes and Sevgimori are not exactly angels, but they are human-looking with wings. And the former do get mistaken for angels by the people, because of their white hair and wings.
- Pointy Ears: Emphyraes have two-pointed ears.
- The Power of Love: Sevgimori.
- Ship Tease,Ho Yay,Foe Yay: Quite a lot of all of them.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy / White-Haired Pretty Girl: Emphyraes.
- Winged Humanoids: All over the place.